How do I check if I have an AGP port?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by J Mo, Sep 9, 2004.

1. J Mo

J Mo New Member

How do I check if I have an AGP port?

I'm clueless on how to do this. Would anyone be able to tell me if I gave the model?

HP Pavilion P5270A-ABA 7965

2. Supernova

Supernova New Member

If you run the Diagnostics tool (DXDIAG), look under "display" and then under that is a section that says "Chip Type" and somewhere on that line should says PCI or AGP. Thats how youc an tell if you have an AGP port.

3. J Mo

J Mo New Member

It's not there.

It says the Video Card that I have, nothing about AGP or PCI.:disappointed:

4. J Mo

J Mo New Member

Wait,

Device ID: PCI .... but that's under SOUND, not DISPLAY. Is that still right?

Thanks in advance.

5. bangin knee song

bangin knee song New Member

Well, the way I found out if my HP Pavilion had an AGP card was by just doing a quick search on it's model number (753n), and I came up with a few reviews that specifically mentioned it having an AGP card. You could do this with yours, unless of course it's a custom made computer.

The other way to check is to open up your computer and look inside. You should see a row of white slots, those are the PCI slots. Near it, look for a brown slot like in this picture. If you have that brown slot, that's your AGP card. Hope this helps :)

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Colors aren't exactly the most scientific way of determining what is on your board. Companies like gigabyte have a tendencies of coloring their slots differently.

7. J Mo

J Mo New Member

K, thanks!

8. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I dont think your sound card is an adequate barometer for what kind of video card slot you have... But it might be... Ill try to figure out a better way to find out your slot...

9. J Mo

J Mo New Member

I HAVE ONE!!

I took my computer to CompUSA and they varified that I have an AGP. So I purchased the ATI RADEON 9600 XT! They are installing it for me and I pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

After this I'll be all SIMS 2 ready. I'm so excited.

PS: 512 mb ram is good enough, right?

10. copter

copter New Member

512 MB of RAM is fine ;)
    Copter.

11. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Thats great! I think AGP prts are better cause there more specialized than those bad PCI punks. I think they have better cards too. Its awesome that your computer can actually run the Sims 2 now!

12. litl_mama1971

litl_mama1971 New Member

I had to check mine a different way. I right clicked on my computer/clicked the hardware tab/clicked on device manager/found my display adapter(video card)right clicked it/clicked properties. on the general tab it says location PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
    so now I know. Wish my hubby knew when he purchased a video card he got a while back and just had not installed yet. So it can't be taken back. Hmmm do I hear ebay calling our name lol. PCI ports stink *pouts* This computer isn't that old at all. Ok I also think HP stinks.:disappointed:

13. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It's not just HP who sells machines without AGP slots. Most of the companies who sell computers have models, mainly meant for business applications or for inexpensive computers meant for students, which are PCI only. They aren't meant to be gaming computers so they don't need AGP ports.

14. bangin knee song

bangin knee song New Member

litl_mama1971, I have an HP and it has an AGP card. Although there was nowhere on my computer to check this -- it was not listed under dxdiag or my device manager. What you have to do is, like I posted above, search for your computer model on Google (unless it was a custom made computer) and try to find some information on it, and whether or not an AGP card is mentioned. If that doesn't work, just open up your computer and check. It's still possible you have an AGP card if you haven't checked inside your computer yet.