Troubleshooting Please Help Me!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by JDub6758, Sep 17, 2004.

1. JDub6758

JDub6758 New Member

Please Help Me!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Hi,

I just purchased the Sims2 today(I got the special DVD edition). I put the 1st disk into the disk drive(I also tried the 2nd one). Every Sims game I have installed up until today has automatically poped up a screen so I can begin the installation. This did not happen. So, I went into "My Computer" and tried to get it to run that way. How ever this also falied as it said that there was no disk in the drive. In my household we have 3 computers. I tried to run it on the other computers but the same thing happened. Could my Sims disk be defective? I have a hp pavilion w/ pentium 4 and My OS is Windows XP. I looked at the system requirements and I seem to have everything I need. Please if you could answer my question I would be very grateful. Have a Wonderful Day!! God Bless!!

2. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

Does anyone of your computers have DVD-ROM Drive? Because if you have brought the DVD-CD or the sims 2 and want to play it on CD-RW then it will not work because you need DVD-ROM drive!

3. astaregod

astaregod New Member

do what trinasis said. I tried watching a DVD movie on my CD-RW drive and it doesn't recognize the disc (which is why I bought a dvd-rom drive finally). So make absolutely sure you have a dvd drive. there should be a dvd logo somewhere on the drive itself.

if you found out you didn't have a dvd drive in your computer, i would recommend going back to wherever you got the game and exchange it for the cd version (i hope they let you do that)

4. JDub6758

JDub6758 New Member

Thanks so Much!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I am going to go exchange it today. I have a dvd-drive and it is still not readin it so i am just going to get the regular version and see if it works. Thanks again!! Have a Wonderful Day!!!!!

5. astaregod

astaregod New Member

no problem. could also be a defective DVD or an incompatible drive. there have been many posts on here about DVD's not working, so I hope mine works!

6. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I think a lot of people assume because their CD ROM can play DVD movies, that it is a DVD ROM. Unfortunately, movies are easier than data discs and they can't be played unless it's on a real DVD drive such as the DVD ROM, DVD R, DVD RW, DVD R/RW or DVD ROM/CD RW combos.

Some of the people who really do have DVD ROMs can't play the game because there is a competing program. Unfortunately, I haven't found out if there is a way around that yet.

7. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Wow. Makes me glad that mine works just fine.

8. astaregod

astaregod New Member

hmm... I don't think CD-ROM drives will even play DVD movies (or read DVD data discs for that matter).

as for the competing program, try ending any movie software (PowerDVD, WinDVD, Windows Media Player, etc) as well as any background tasks and that will usually free up the drive for other programs (i.e. the sims 2) to use