Troubleshooting to update your drivers for your graphics card or to try to make directx work

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by astaregod, Sep 19, 2004.

1. sims2lover

sims2lover New Member

Every time I try to get on the sims 2 this comes up: Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

Here is my info:
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 9/26/2004, 17:08:48
    Machine name: GATEWAY-1JY2ORL
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) (2600.xpclient.010817-1148)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: E-2000
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/30/02 08:08:01 Ver: 08.00.00
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 254MB RAM
    Page File: 122MB used, 502MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

what do i do?? thanks so much!

2. Aster

Aster New Member

my manufacturer says SiS, now what.

3. zydeco

zydeco New Member

My game seems to work just fine but the save feature seems to take ages. I find myself putting off enduring it! lol On a thread in general discussion someone suggested I need to update my video drivers. I ran right over to nvidia and gee whiz...could they make it any more complicated? I cannot figure out what I need to download. They couldn't just have GeForce updates..click this button? Nah. I'm in fear of doing more harm downloading like JDub6758.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 System Manufacturer: Compaq
    System Model: DSDT
    BIOS: 686Y2 v2.11
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 250MB used, 996MB available

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
    Chip type: GeForce3 Ti 200
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5216 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 10/6/2003 15:16:00, 4246528 bytes

If some techno god out there can decipher all this and is familiar with nvidia could you tell me what I need to download? I'd rather put up with a little lag in saving than clean up a mess.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

5. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Well..if there was a blasted thing that said that on the site I'd have downloaded it! LOL! If I click on downloads and it takes me to that poorly designed chart and I click on graphics and then geforce and then windows xp all that pops up is something that says it supports all 6800 series. Is that what I download? Now if I click on downloads and then geforce but not anything in the third column and look at the bottom of the page there is another upgrade. If I scroll through it it does mention my geforce3 ti-200. Is that the one I need? So before you roll those eyes at how dumb can zydeco be, walk in my ignorant shoes a few moments! You really don't want me crying because I downloaded something that messes everything up, do you? ;)

6. tierranne

tierranne New Member

i looked up my video driver..it says generic..What do i download to get di

What do i download to get directx 9.0c to work so i can run Sims2???
    I had just reformatted my pc completely and reinstalled Sims2. How do i go about finding what to download??

7. ManagerJosh

It uses a universal driver. Be sure you get the latest version (61.77 to my recollection)

8. ManagerJosh

Just install your game, and it will automatically install DirectX 9.0C

9. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you have a really ancient Direct X, however, it can't install it with that update. The update I believe requires that you start with Direct X8.1 or above.

But there is still the Microsoft site, which as the direct X which will update anything.

10. smoothedge69

smoothedge69 New Member

My problem is this XP compatability thing. I went to NVidia, downloaded the drivers that were, supposedly for XP, tried to install them, and got the "Failed logo test" thing. I only have driver version 5.2.1.4, which is the original drivers that came with my GForce FX 5200 card. Help!!!!! Please!!!!!

I am running XP Pro, sp2 with Direct X 9

11. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Well, that ain't gonna cut it. You need newer drivers than that to run 9.0c and TS2. Download the drivers again and reinstall them. If that doesn't work, you may have to force the issue by hexing out the "logo test" nonsense. Like anyone cares if the logo doesn't match, anyway. If at first it doesn't work, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

12. smoothedge69

smoothedge69 New Member

Hexing out the Logo test? What does that mean? Does anyone know of a patch for windows XP that will help this? If the driver can't be recognized by XP, it just doesn't work right. So downloading an incompatable driver will not help me.

13. smoothedge69

smoothedge69 New Member

That is the latest driver, but when you try to install it, on XP you get that logo test failure B.S., that WHQL nonsense, with a warning that installation could cause instability, or failure of the device.

14. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Oh, pay no attention to that. That's just some random blather about whether or not your driver is certified by some Windoze authority.

Ask yourself: Do you really believe a word Microsoft has to say about security or stability? No? Neither do I. A certification is only as good as the certifying authority, and in this case, the answer rates somewhere between worthless, and "well, at least you can still use it as toilet paper".

15. coolcatcarie

coolcatcarie New Member

What do I do if my chip type is 3dfx voodoo3?

16. PapillionSpirit

PapillionSpirit New Member

Having same issue

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 04
    BIOS: Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1300MHz
    Memory: 126MB RAM

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82810
    Driver Version: 6.13.0001.2872 (English)
    -------------------------------------------------------

I tried to update the driver for the card and it installed. I rebooted and I came back to having my computer be at 800 x 600 resolution. Don't know what it did, but the game still doesn't work. Any help is appreciated! Been working on this for weeks now.

17. coolcatcarie

coolcatcarie New Member

Can anyone help? I have a voodoo3 card to I need a new one. Does anyone know what one I need and how much it might cost? Thanks! -Carie

18. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

I have no idea what to do!

I just got the game The Sims 2 and have been DYING to play it but when I put the cd in and try to start the game up one of these three messages pops up...

"Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

"Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please save your work and reboot to restore full functionality."

"The graphics adapter in this system experienced an internal error. Please contact your graphics adapter manufacturer for technical support. The application will now terminate."

I tried downloading DirectX 9.0c but it doesn't do anything. PLEASE HELP!

19. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

My display info is:

Name: Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel(R) 82810
    DAC Type: Internal
    Approx. Total Memory: 4.0MB
    Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (24 bit) (60 Hz)
    Monitor: Dell P780

20. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

Here, maybe this will help more...

Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1300MHz
    510MB RAM