Troubleshooting to update your drivers for your graphics card or to try to make directx work

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by astaregod, Sep 19, 2004.

1. a1_ying

a1_ying New Member

It says, " The application has crashed. The application will now terminate."
    that's all.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Look under My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs for something like Sims 2 Exception.. and copy the information in there.

It's a text document, and its readable (meaning you can read what's inside of it)

3. sapphy77

sapphy77 New Member

I had posted my error in another thread before I found this one.
    I also have the same error. I am looking in the sims2exception folder. What should I be looking for that would help me figure out how to fix this bug!

4. a1_ying

a1_ying New Member

Here's what I see in the txt document:

Exception time: 03/25/2005, at 11:36:41.
    Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
    Current thread ID: 4294759575 (0xfffcd497).
    Version information:
    Application/module path: C:\PROGRAM FILES\EA GAMES\THE SIMS 2\TSBIN\SIMS2.EXE
    Application/module version name: The Sims 2
    Application/module version: 1.0.0.932
    System version: Windows 4.90
    System memory: 256 Megabytes total, 16 Megabytes free.
    Application/module configuration: ReleaseSRT-P

???

5. lizzy_631

lizzy_631 New Member

Please Help

I've recently had to reload everything on my computer because something went wrong with i dunno what...
    Anyways.. before that i was enjoying playing with my little simmies
    Naturally the sims2 was one of the first things i installed on my computer but now i can't play it because of some graphic error that was mentioned earlier in this thread...
    I checked my for device name like it was suggested but it comes up with n/a for everything under device! I don't know what to do.
    I also don't know if the driver name will help

main driver: vga.dll
    version: 5.01.2600.0000

I'm using XP Pro and Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz and I've installed DirectX 9.0c

Also wondering if there's a way to tell where abouts this graphic thing is and if i could manually find out the model no. or manufacturer or anything at all

Thanks heaps for any help

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hmm. Have you run dxdiag? (Start >> Run >> then type dxdiag and press Enter)

The fact that you have "reloaded" your puter is significant. Do you mean that you have reinstalled Windows? If so you will need to reinstall your display device (graphics card) before you get the full functionality that The Sims 2 needs.

If your computer is an off the shelf system then you will have had a sytem restore disc and if you have used that then dxdiag will surely tell you about your display adapter ...

If on the other hand you have a custom built computer then you should have been given a packet containing all the software needed to restore your system. Check through it for an Nvidia or ATI disc. Using that should help you to get the thing up and running but after that you will probably still need to go to the appropriate website to download the latest drivers.

Also you probably ought to have made sure that you had Windows fully updated before installing software for fun. Others may disagree with me but I think that it is asking for problems to ignore free improvements. At the very least you should've installed Service Pack 2. I have just had to perform a clean install myself (last Saturday!) I spent most of Sunday restoring/updating my Firewall before adding anti-virus protection and upgrading that. After that I gave Windows its head and let it go get SP2. It was only then that I began downloading and installing new graphics drivers (Directx 9.0c came in with SP2) and other stuff. I also downloaded the latest patch for TS2, plus the dotNET framework and SimPE, and Homecrafter+ all of which I had lost in my Saturday afternoon partition implosion. I didn't install The Sims2 until Monday afternoon and University wasn't added until Wednesday.

Compared to before the game runs like a rocket.

Motto. Make haste less speed. :rolleyes:

So ... do the dxdaig thing and report back here. We'll help all we can but we can't do a thing without some more data. :)

7. lizzy_631

lizzy_631 New Member

I tried doing the dxdiag thing again and it still came up n/a for everything under device so i don't know the manufacter, the name, chiptype or anything. So anyways my computer is customed made and i don't have any of the software you're talking about. When i turn on my computer i noticed in the top left hand corner

NVIDIA 4.34.20.23 AA
    GeForce FX 5200 BIOS

I dunno if that means anything, but i did a quick search of it and apparently GeForceFX5200 is some kind of graphics video card for something. Is that what I'm after??

Where can i get or download the software for it if it is? If its not it, then i was wondering if i could just open up my tower and physically get my hands on it to find out what exactly it is called?

8. ManagerJosh

If you have Windows XP, download this

9. lizzy_631

lizzy_631 New Member

Thanks heaps for that. it works now :)
    Only problem is that i don't have any sound...
    Do you know where i can download a program for the sound.
    I have the same speaker i had before i needed to reinstall everything but no sound comes out now
    And when i go to control panel to adjust volume or settings it says i have no audio device
    I tried going to add hardware but because i don't have the software it won't let me do anything.
    I'm so lost
    please help

10. ManagerJosh

What sort of computer do you have?

11. lizzy_631

lizzy_631 New Member

I'm not exactly sure what it is...

Under the dxdiag thing for system it says:
    Operating system:Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: GBT
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    intel pent 4, 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hm ... tricky.
    Go to Control Panel (switch to Classic View [Left hand column, at the top])
    Double click System.
    Click the Hardware Tab.
    Click the Device Manager button.

OK look down the list for device with a yellow warning triangle. It'll probably be labelled something like "Unknown PCI device".

Right click that and choose the porperties tab tell what it says about the device.
    Do this for all instances of the yellow triangle.

Secondly where have you plugged in your speakers? The pictures shows a typical PC case with a soundcard installed in a PCI slot. The PCI slots are the bank of six vertical rectangles on the right hand side. The clump of sockets along the bottom edge of the picture are all ports on the motherboard. You computer might have the sound processor on the motherboard ... so we need to know about this.

Attached Files:

13. Xavyeloko

Xavyeloko New Member

Nvidia Setup PRoblem

About my Pc:

1)1300 Mhz
    2)384 mb of ram
    3)free space is 7.36 Gb on the Drive sims 2 is on
    4)Total Disk Space is 23.1 GB
    5)Video card is Intel (R) Celeron
    6)I am not sure what version it is
    7)Direct X V. 9
    8)Windows Xp on a HP Pavilion 512w
    9)Sims 2 Cd version
    10) WHen i try to install NVIDIA Driver from this web site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html
    I recieve this : Nvidia Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.
    If you know what to do please help me. Thank You

14. ManagerJosh

Do you even have an nVidia graphics card? Cause if you don't, it wouldn't work.

15. a1_ying

a1_ying New Member

er... What do I do then? Now, that I still have that problem.

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Your system is Intel based. Use the Intel link at the htop of this thread.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=797 takes you to the most likely graphic controller for your 'puter.

You can find out exactly what your system is by running dxdiag:

Start >> Run >> type in dxdiag -- wait for it finish and then make a note of the contents of the tabs labelled system and display

We can't help you otherwise. :)

17. Xavyeloko

Xavyeloko New Member

Well i dont know too much about Computers, Now i understand more about graphic drivers and cards. Thanx for your help

18. Xavyeloko

Xavyeloko New Member

Im gonna have to buy a Graphics card, do you know if this card:pNY Verto GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB DDR PCI Graphics Card would work with the sims 2? Thanx

19. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The GeForce 4 series is pretty low-powered but it should run the game so long as you don't expect to see crystal clear screens like the Maxis screen-shots. Be prepared to stick to smallish houses, smallish family sizes and no large gatherings/parties and the game should work with that card if that's the best you can fit into your 'puter.

20. Xavyeloko

Xavyeloko New Member

Do you know any Graphics card that is $100 or less that works well with Sims 2 and Can be Bought in Best Buy or any well known store? Thanx