Troubleshooting to update your drivers for your graphics card or to try to make directx work

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by astaregod, Sep 19, 2004.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

There's no such card really. Most people who bought a cheap end card in the end paid for it dearly during their gameplay.

My suggestion is get at least a half decent card (GeForce 6 6600, MSRP: 169-199) and be happy.

2. brianna_benter

brianna_benter New Member

Help!

OK, i know iam a dork, i have this problem, i went to the second web....dont know what to do after that, HELP! :confused: :eek: :mad: :cry:

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK don't panic. I assume that by "the second web" you mean this one:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

because you have an nVidia card, right? ;)

If so the rest is easy (though it may take a while if you don't have a cable/broadband connection :p)

You need a graphics drive so highlight that in the left hand selection panel.

The next option lights up in the middle panel. Choose the top one: GeForce & TNT2 cos if you don't have that type of card you ought not to have bought the game at all!

The third panel of options becomes available. I imgaine that you want to choose the Windows XP\2000 option.

Hit the Go button and you'll download the latest driver. Just make sure you know where it is being saved to cos you actually need to double click it to run and install it before you can use it ... you will also then need to restart your puter ... :rolleyes:

4. brianna_benter

I did EXACTLY what you told me to, yes I have that type of card......I installed it & restarted my PC but it still not working! :eek: :confused: :gnasher: :cry: :frown: :sigh: :weeping: :yell: :no: :banghead: :worried: :grumpy:
    Help -Bri
    (thanks for everything)

5. brianna_benter

Oh, and if you really need info....since the beginging, look at the thread i made, thanks again! -bri :D

6. erinelizabethxo

erinelizabethxo New Member

Alright, I've already tried everything in the first post, and I still get that same message. Here's my info:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: Emachines
    BIOS: Version 1.01
    Processor: Intel Celeron, ~1.0GHz
    Memory: 510 RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display
    ------------
    Name: Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel(R) 82810
    Main Driver: i81xdnt5.dll
    Version: 6.13.0001.3196 (English)

Pleeease help, I bought this game months ago and haven't been able to play it since. :(

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I am sorry, Erin, but your computer does not appear to meet the minimum system requirements. Your machine's ability to handle The Sims 2's graphics falls a very long way short of the bare minimum. In order to play the game you need a modern deidcated graphics card (approx US$100) though your present computer may not be worth upgrading. Sometimes it is cheaper in the end to replace with newer, better, faster etc.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news. :(

8. robincdyer

robincdyer New Member

s3 graphics twister k compaq problems

Hi,
    I am trying to get my new sims2 game to work on my computer. It's a compaq presario 700 with windows xp home edition installed. It has an s3 Graphics Twister K Compaq graphics adapter on board and I can't get it to be compatible with directx 9. Every time I try to run the game, it says "failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer." and then it exits the game. I followed your instructions for finding out all of the details on the graphics adapter and this is what I got...
    Device:
    Name: s3 Graphics Twister K Compaq
    Manufacturer: s3 Graphics Inc
    Chip Type: s3 Twister K
    DAC Type:s3 SDAC
    Approx. Total Memory: 16mb

Driver:
    Main Driver: s3 gdn.dll
    Version: 6.13.0010.1026 (english)
    Date: 12-12-2001
    WHQL Lodo'd: Yes
    Mini VDD: s3 gnbm.sys
    VDD: none
    DDI Version: 7

Thanks for all your help,
    Robin

9. Kendelcom

Kendelcom New Member

ok so I tryed everything you said right there. you said its spost to say something like intel, nvidia, or ati. mine says n/a what do i do if it says n/a?

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If you have been reading my posts, you will have seen my signature. One part of it is the Frequently Asked Questions. Have you read them? If you had you would have been able to post your sytem specifications because you would have read the post about how run dxdiag.

I can't come around to house to hold your hand. Just reading random posts and using them to ask unanswerable questions is gonna get you nowhere.

Also bear in mind that there is not a large army of people just sitting at their PC's waiting on the offchance that someone is going to post a question. No one has all the answers and so few questions get answered immediately. We try to help but we do it for fun. When we're not looking at the forum we're usually doing something else ... like playing the game.

Read the FAQ's. Post your system specs and you'll get an answer ... as quickly as it is convenient for one of us to respond.

11. Kendelcom

Kendelcom New Member

ok so here they are...

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 224MB RAM
    Windows virsion: XP
    Free Space: 55.2 GB
    Total Space: 76.3 GB
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Driver Name: vga.dll
    Driver Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
    DDI Version: unknown

I couldent find every thing you asked for sorry:(

12. appleberry_pie

appleberry_pie New Member

I went to start, run, and typed in dxdaig.exe searching for what my graphics chipset was, and well under manufacturer I have ASUSTek... Possibly I am looking in the wrong place, butI am not sure. I have an ASUS A6U Notebook, with all the necesary system requirements to run the sims.

Please help, I don't like playing choppy sims 2

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Please don't double post. It's really annoying.

14. syllydyl

syllydyl Banned

im not really sure what to do to fix the sims on my computer. back when we got a year or so ago, we had to download something to make the graphics work but i cant remember what, but then a virus hit our computer and we had to wipe everything. now im not sure what to do to fix it.

name: intel (r) 82865G Graphics Controller
    manufacturer: intel corporation
    chip type: intel (r) 82865G Grapics Controller
    DAC type: internal
    approx. total memory: 64 MB
    current display mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    monitor: sony SDM-HS73

the computer is a windows XP home edition, if that means anything.

can someone please help me??

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK sweetheart ... let's go in stages.

First make sure you have the latest Windows updates. You should be on Service Pack 2 ... Click Start >> Help & Support >> Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update

Next thing is you probably need to upgrade your graphics driver ... go to this Intel link and follow your way through it to get the graphcis/display driver updates and follow the instructions for downloading and installing.

If all that doesn't work please refer to the FAQs - see the link in my signature and repost with a dxdiag report and a detailed description of what the problem is. OK?

16. syllydyl

syllydyl Banned

I've updated the computer now and when I tried to download the graphics thing, all I got was a message saying "a software error occured. please report this to technical support: cannot install Intel (R) graphics driver on current graphics device."

is there something else i have to update first??

17. pussycats_123

pussycats_123 New Member

Hey

I'm just wondering is it even POSSIBLE to play Sims 2 on a Windows ME?:confused:

18. sims2addict85

sims2addict85 New Member

need help with graphics card

can anyone help me determine which graphics card is compatiable with my pc.here's my information...

Compaq Persario
    AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+
    2.00 GHz, 192 MB of RAM

Name: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    Manufacturer:VIA/S3G
    Chip Type:VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    DAC Type:Internal
    Approx. Total Memory:64.0 MB

19. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I would recommend having at least 512MB of RAM to play TS2.

Any video card will do depending on what slot you have on the mother/main board inside your computer.

If you have an AGP slot, then get an AGP card and put it in, install the drivers and it should work.

20. sims2addict85

sims2addict85 New Member

ok

so how do I get 512MB of RAM?