switching neighbourhoods

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by el_caco, Sep 23, 2004.

1. el_caco

el_caco New Member

switching neighbourhoods

Is there a way to move my family between neighbourhoods?

2. Rhaevyn

Rhaevyn New Member

I don't have the game yet, so someone here more knowledgeable than myself will probably have a better answer... but in TS1 you could export your family and import them to another neighborhood. Or you could copy them from one neighborhood file folder to another.

Wish I could be more definite but I'm sure someone here will know.

3. Toast

Toast Rebmem Drawkcab

There isn't a way in the game to easily switch your family to another neighboorhood. Once you create them, they are stuck in whatever neighboorhood you started them in. But... You can package and export your family (usually used to upload your family to the sims exchange). It'll store your family into a folder where you have The Sims 2 installed as a package file, and you can then double click that package file and it'll say "Installing Package" and then "Your package has been installed" or whatever, and then when you go to whichever neighboorhood screen you want to place the family in, they should be in the available family screen to place wherever you want. Only thing is that I'm sure you might lose your money and house and all that. I haven't specifically done this myself, so check out the instruction manual that came with the game on how to package and export and import families, lots, etc... Hopefully this'll help. :D

4. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

Beg to differ... ;)

From the game manual:

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

So I can move my family from Pleasantville to Strangetown... as long as I move the entire HOUSE along with them? Weird, but kind of cool! I would have thought I'd have to move the family out of the house first, to be in the family bin.... I haven't tried any of this yet, but I will!

6. Crazy13

Crazy13 New Member

hey Fae, are you going to move the goths to strangetown so they can find bella? thats what im trying to do! but i cant find bella! :(

7. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'm not sure yet whether I want to try to reunite Mortimer with Bella... he's been acting really strange and showing up to my sims lots at odd times, even walking into the house uninvited and making my sims cry!! :eek: ...perhaps she moved to the next town for a reason??? hmmmmm..... Then again reuiniting them might make him happy and well behaved. :p

8. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

Yeah, it's kind of weird, but there's an easy way around it. Move the family and house to the new neighborhood, then move the family out of the house and into one from the new neighborhood. Then put the old house back in the bin and take it back to the old neighborhood.

9. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'm glad you figured how to get the family into a NEW house in the new neighborhood! I'll have to remember that!

10. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Moving families across neighborhoods is actually a very tricky operation that is really only totally viable under certain very specific conditions.

For one, no more than 8 people can be moved. In order to safely move an entire family, all living family members, if possible, must be moved onto the lot: Otherwise, when your family moves, the "dangling branches" of the family will essentially hang in limbo: If you move them seperately, they will not recognize each other, and will, in fact, create *TWO* or even more ghost copies which will basically linger forever, since TS2 does not appear to perform any garbage cleanup of orphaned characters. I've discovered references to "test" characters that I created, and deleted, sometimes without having ever moved them onto a lot. Yet the lingered around forever, chewing up memory and space, and TS2 was not smart enough to garbage-clean these orphaned links.

Basically, moving families across neighborhoods is VERY, VERY MESSY. I am currently attempting to perform research into the best way to move an entire clique with minimal damage and orphaned files.