Troubleshooting PLEASE Help with downloads!!!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by eyeheartlynard, Oct 7, 2004.

1. eyeheartlynard

eyeheartlynard New Member

PLEASE Help with downloads!!!

ive been downloading some things like skins and objects off of various web sites but now i dont know how to get them into the game.. someone told me to save then under downloads in my ea game files but i dont know how that gets them into the game... please inform me if you can.. thanks

2. kudlaty_true

kudlaty_true New Member

It just does. U don't do nothing. U just can't see most of them, if u started playing earlier, before u download some stuff. U can change stuff in-game by various objects, for example hair and makeup by mirror. And that''s the only thing... If u want to see some real changes, like new clothes, make a new sim :(

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

When you first download something, put it someplace other than in the downloads area. (I have a special file called "unprocessed downloads".) Some of the files will come naked (no Zip or Rar) but some come included in a Zip or RAR file format (to make it easier to download.)

The files which come in a zip file can be opened with WinZip which comes with Windows XP. You just double click on the zip file and you can work with the contents.

If you don't have WindowsXP, then you'll need to download WinZip. You can find it here: http://www.winzip.com/winzip.htm

This one may also be used instead: http://www.powerzip.biz/

Some files (mostly from Europe) come in RAR form. It's like Zip but made by a different company. Powerzip can do those as well, but the WinRar itself is here: http://www.rarlab.com/

Once you have access to the "naked" file, they come in two types: self installing and ones which need to be manually put in the game.

The self installing ones have .sims2skins or .sims2pack as their extension. All you need to do with those is double click on them. You'll get a blue screen asking if you want to install the content. If you click install (and the file isn't corrupted, which usually means you need to redownload it), a second blue screen pops up saying that the content has been successfully installed.

The other form is the .package file. Those you put into the specific user part of My Documents (not the All User or Shared My Documents). It goes in My Documents\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\downloads.

This is the folder where the game "looks" to put things in the game. Also, if you don't see your new things in the game files when you first start up the game after you've done some downloading, then check your options to make sure that custom content is enabled to be seen.

Keep in mind that things don't work the same as TS1. In TS2 clothes, for instance, aren't automatically in the wardrobe. Your Sim needs to buy them (bit by bit) on the community lot in order for them to be available. (The "prices" are something like Sim$150-400 depending on whether it is everday clothes, formal wear, under clothes, etc.) But once something is bought, it's available for everyone of that age/gender in the house. And each Sim doesn't have to buy it's own. For example, mom or dad can go get all the clothes for the entire family. (And when they move out of that house, all the clothes need to be rebought.)

One age has a particular problem. For toddlers all you can do is change them from everyday to sleepwear and back again. There's a glitch so that you can't "plan outfit" and only the default or the toddler outfit bought any time before the baby turns into a toddler will show up.

And of course objects downloads won't be seen until you look for them in buy/build.

I hope this helps.

4. lou_knee

lou_knee New Member

Ummm, you say you've downloaded objects? The only ones I've seen are on the official Sims 2 web site. If you've downloaded them from anywhere else are you sure they're for sims 2 and not sims 1? Objects and skins from Sims 1 will not work in Sims 2, so that might be your problem.:eek:

5. gothicpie

gothicpie New Member

I'm having some trouble with this and searched the forums a bit. Maybe the answer is right in front of my nose, but i dont see it =)

Where do I find the costum hairstyles that I've downloaded? Do I have to purchase them aswell? Is there any way to make is so you can choose your clothes for your Sims instead of buying them?

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hairstyles should be accessible from the mirrors inside the game. Get a sim (child and older) to use a mirror to "Change Appearance". If you have installed new hairstyles as .package files in your my documents/ea games/the sims 2/downloads folder then they will show up as options.

7. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

The problem with some hairstyles, (clothes as well), is that you need to have the mesh (the object skeleton, so to speak) before it will show up in your game. Sometimes the mesh comes with the object, but if it doesn't it won't show up.

By the way, Kat, I love your "(special file called "unprocessed downloads".) I've always saved my stuff in a new subtitled file each time I go fishing so I know where to find them. Do you move them out of that file then when you install them?

Also, eyeheartlynard, you can download a program called Sim File Maid 2 which make installing everything but roofs and houses a breeze. http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/projects/SimFileMaid/ follow the instructions and drag your zipped downloads on to the grass and the maid puts everything into the right spot.

Also it is recomended by Pescado and other wise simmers not to download packages. You know what you are getting so to speak when you download singles even tho it takes more time.