Reading 'magazines' to increase interests?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kane, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Kane

Kane New Member

Reading 'magazines' to increase interests?

Hi,

When one hovers over your sims interests it says that you can read a magazine to increase your interest in politics/crime/fashion/whatever. I haven't been able to track this down exactly though - is it just reading from the bookshelf. As far as I can tell this has no effect on interest levels.

Is reading magazines maybe on one of the Community Lots that I haven't tried?

2. Xenu

Xenu New Member

Yes, magazines (as opposed to newspapers, those are delivered at the door) are bought in the store. If no such store exists in your enighbourhood, then create one.

3. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

But how?

I created my own community lot, complete with a small pond and everything, I made a clothes store, a games store and a grocery, but I havent been able to find a magazine stand yet. Any help?

4. zydeco

zydeco New Member

If you made a game store you just missed it! lol It looks just like the display case with video games and dvd's in the thumbnails.

5. mglp

mglp New Member

What benefits does increasing your interests have?

peace

6. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

It can greatly improve your Sim's conversational compatibility. Note that magazines are potentially dangerous materials that should be stored in an inaccessible room or deleted once you are finished reading them, because visiting sims, and your autonomous sims, will attempt to read them at random, destroying their existing interests, often without gaining anything in return. Don't let uncontrolled sims get their grubby paws on the magazines, these things are dangerous. Dig a pit someplace and bury them so that other sims can't get them.

7. mglp

mglp New Member

Huh? I thought it improves their conversational ability and increases their interests. What do you mean they are dangerous and destroy their interests?

peace

8. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

When you read magazines, certain interests increase, while other random ones DECREASE. This can be controlled, if you read the magazines strategically, but characters autonomously reading magazines won't have any sense of moderation or control, and therefore are likely to destroy their interest ratings in other categories. Therefore, magazines are potentially dangerous material when used improperly, I.E., not under your careful supervision.