Cheating problem

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Jackal, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Jackal

Jackal New Member

Cheating problem

I know not everyone is a big fan of cheating. I don't usually myself. But i thought it would be fun to buy a huge house without working much. but when i hit ctrl+shift+c nothing happens. I've tried alot of things but it just doesn't seem to want to work. Anyone know why?

2. Toast

Toast Rebmem Drawkcab

I honestly don't know. As long as you are in your actual sim's lot and not in neighboorhood view, you should be able to activate the cheat console with the forementioned keystrokes. And as far as I know, the cheat menu even comes up in build and buy modes. What version are you running (CD or DVD)? Try making a brand new family and placing them in an entirely different blank lot. But no matter what, CTRL-SHIFT-C should bring up the cheat console.

3. Jackal

Jackal New Member

I have the DVD version and so does my friend. His cheat window comes up though. I tried reinstalling it completely into the default directory instead of my custom directory i put it in before. nothing changed. The cheat window still doesn't show up. I have no clue why. I read in another forum that people were having trouble with it but nobody gave a answer that helped me. I'm just about to give up on it.

4. Rowanstaff

Rowanstaff Kilted Freak!

No cheat...

Have you tried going to TheSims2.com and searching their BBS for this under technical support. I know it pops up every few days, maybe someone found out why (my guess, admin tool may be needed to give the Sims 2 some priviledges or delete some default keystroke restriction).

Alos, expect this to be adressed in the upcoming patch. like I said, this crops up quite a bit and Maxis should fix it. Emphasis on should.

Oh, and not everyone is against cheating. To make a custom neighborhood of idle rich people, middle-class climbers, and poor but honest folks (or not so honest, mwahaha, criminal careers :D) you'll need those cheats.

5. Video Granny

Video Granny New Member

I had some trouble with using the cheat in the begining too. One thing that I discovered is only hit shift and ctrl at the same time then click on the c button. That's the only way it works for me. Hope this will help you. Video Granny:bunny:

6. Hiame70

Hiame70 New Member

I am having the same problem! I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out. I have tried all of the key combinations that I have read.

I have the DVD version, does that matter? Can you still use the cheats?:confused:

7. BrynHilde

BrynHilde New Member

Hmm... I have the DVD version and have no trouble with using this window.

Make sure you're doing it right:

press and hold Ctrl and Shift. Keep them pressed.
    Now press 'C' once.

Look at the top of your screen, and there should be a white bar across the top that looks like a text entry field. Type your cheat and press enter.

eg. kaching = money +1000

NOTE : cheats will NOT notify you when they are used ( unlike Sims 1 ), the effects just appear.

8. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Strange. Try going to Control Panel > Accessibility Options > Keyboard tab, and make sure all 3 things are unchecked.

If that doesn't work, do this:
    1. Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > On-Screen Keyboard.
    2. Rightclick > Properties > Shortcut, on the TS2 shortcut in either desktop or start menu.
    3. Add -w after the Target. So it will look like, with the quotes: "Partition:\Program Files\The Sims 2\TSBin\Sims2.exe" -w
    4. Make sure the onscreen keyboard is set to Always On Top, then run TS2 with the shortcut. The game should run windowed, with the keyboard on top.
    5. Once in the neighborhood view, Ctrl + Shift + C with the onscreen keyboard.

If that also does not work, then I have no ideas left. Computers screw up for no reason sometimes, proven fact.

9. klara_lutil

klara_lutil New Member

another prob with cheating

Hi, i have another problem with cheating. After i enter my cheat code, how do i get rid of the cheat code entry window? :confused:

10. Daizee

Daizee New Member

you should just be able to type "exit" and it will go away

11. klara_lutil

klara_lutil New Member

ic. thx:) but i got another question, that is if my cheat code is entered correctly will the window exit automatically? thx!:D

12. Daizee

Daizee New Member

What has always happened for me is if I open the cheat window it is only one line of text big and when I entered the cheat and hit enter it went away. BUT if I entered something wrong, it got big and the was big everytime I opened it but it still goes away when I enter the correct cheat and hit enter.

I think that if you type "expand" it will make the window bigger or smaller (the opposite of whatever it is now)

Hope that helps:eek:

13. klara_lutil

klara_lutil New Member

yep it helps thx a lot!

14. Venterox

Venterox New Member

This might work...

Well, to respond to Jackal's initial comment- I don't know if you've been helped out yet because I didn't read the rest of the threads- but I know that the first time I hit ctrl shift c it normally doesn't pop up the cheat window- so I just hit mine really rapidly a few times and eventually it works- I don't know if this'll work- but hey, try it out.

15. Silmaril Dragon

Silmaril Dragon New Member

Cheat not working

Hello all,

I also have the DVD version of TS2 and encountered this problem. Turns out that Microsoft's "helpful" Stickykeys software utility was the culprit. Once I minimized TS2 and saw the pop up, all was clear. Since disabling the program, I've had no problems with ctrl alt c. Hope this helps.

Silmaril Dragon

16. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Sticky keys. Heh. I always thought sticky keys were the result of eating ice cream at your computer.

17. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Whoa....stop the presses!! Was that a joke from J.M.? :eek:

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Small discovery I made ... (I'm probably the last to find this out :p )

The Up and Down arrow keys cycle thru the various cheats you have typed into the cheat window in that session. Useful when remodelling a house with the family in situ as you can quickly turn moveobjects on/off without a lot of typing. Also useful for five or six quick kachings when you want a halfway cheat between kaching and motherlode overkill. ;)

19. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Heh, I almost instinctively try that in just about any text entry box. It's a DOS and Unix thing.