Curved walls?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by nunix, Oct 25, 2004.

1. nunix

nunix New Member

Curved walls?

How would I go about getting smooth curved walls? I'm trying to build a little ziggurat (think the classic Tower of Babel paintings) and the best I can do is many-angled contraptions. =/ I couldn't find any kind of special walls in the Build menus.

(this is my first Sims game, so if I'm missing something obvious, be gentle!)

2. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

The closest you can come to making anything curved is octagonal. There are no curved walls or wallpieces.

3. nunix

nunix New Member

Oog.

Was this an option in Sims1, maybe, that we might see again? Or is there some way to custom-create such wall pieces and import them?

4. J. M. Pescado

I don't recall seeing curved walls in TS1. In fact, in TS1, diagonal walls were nearly totally useless, since you couldn't put anything on them until hacked objects came out.

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

This wasn't an option in TS1. Actually, we're lucky to have the diagonal walls work as well as they do in TS2. In TS1 you couldn't put anything but art on them. In TS2 you can use them for doors and windows, including putting curtains on the windows. Art will hang on them as well as wall lights. You still can't put an object on the floor in that little triangle, but there are some plantings which come in triangle form so that you can have diagonals in your flower beds.

Maxis has not promised that we'll have curved walls. I suspect that that would take another jump in game engine.

6. J. M. Pescado

Well, in theory, "curved" walls could be accomplished through the use of fixed wallpieces. The curvature would be be set in stone, and they'd probably be of extremely limited utility, given that you'd be unlikely to be able to put windows or doors on them, and even wallpapering them might be problematic, so you'd possibly receive them in fixed patterns only, but you could still potentially use them for towers or cornerpieces. They wouldn't, however, really be terribly functional.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Just out of interest ... has anyone else observed that doors and windows can't be placed diagonally if the Moveobjects cheat is "on"?

8. J. M. Pescado

They can be placed diagonally if they *WERE* already diagonal, but since move_objects disables auto-flipping rotation, which can be a GOOD thing at times, as it can otherwise become an immense pain to place a door such that the hinge is on a specific side, the door will not autolock to the wall, and also will not bother to check if its position is legal. Thus, you can only place a diagonal door with move_objects on if the door was already diagonal.