Do These Things Make You Mad?? (2 Gameplay Mods)

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by J. M. Pescado, Nov 3, 2004.

1. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Do These Things Make You Mad?? (2 Gameplay Mods)

Do these things really, really piss you off?

1. Kids spending half an hour cheering for good grades, and disturbing their parents about them. As if this is supposed to be news.

2. Visitors who rob your money trees, or even your non-gold family members who do it!

They sure bug me. And since the jumping bug is really impeding my gameplay, I started putting the axe to things that piss me off. I thought I'd let you guys play with them, too, just in case you don't normally visit MTS2. Have fun!

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I see no problem with these "mods" JMP. Of course, all hacking is frowned upon by World Sims so it might be good advice if you renamed the first one to nocheeringkidzmod???

General warning to potential users. Game modifications are not supported either by Maxis or World Sims. You should be very cautious in applying modifications to the way the game works unless you are absolutely sure that you know how to repair any possible damage that might occur.

If in doubt, don't do it. (Especially as the supplier of the modification chooses not to be available for email contact ... or to provide installation instructions ... both caveats are signs of doubtful provenance.)

3. J. M. Pescado

Err...I can do that? I have no idea how. I personally think "hack" is a more appropriate description of my work, as it implies all of the crudeness and lack of finesse that is involved with it, as opposed to the elegance implied by a "mod", none of which is actually present in my work.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Duh! Delete it from World Sims server and upload another version with a different name. But you're jesting, eh?

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

After consulting with JMP I have moved this thread here., where it properly belongs

The mods/hacks are supplied JMP "as is". If anyone wants to test them out and to offer support for them they are welcome to do so. Anyone who is unsure is best advised to leave them well alone.

Fully tested and supported game modifications will appear in due course.

6. Silmaril Dragon

Silmaril Dragon New Member

Cheering kids

I've practically ground my teeth into dust when the kids dance their "Ode to Joy (and my misery)." I agree, truly one of the most annoying things in the game that ALMOST makes the child/teenager years impossible to tolerate. I thought these teenagers were in the 16-18 year range? If true, then why do all the teenaged boys shriek through my speakers in "joy" like eunuchs?

JMP, thanks for the mod. Could you perhaps also develop an "instant sim kid kill" mod? I ask only partially in jest.

Thanks.

Silmaril Dragon

7. J. M. Pescado

I can't claim credit for that one. The "Satellited!" mods, and "Buyable Fire" were both done by other people. Feel free to look them up if you need someone Satellited, or incinerated. That one always amuses me. If only Sims would react more realistically to fires, by either running away from them, or maybe dancing around them, if somebody they particularly loathe happens to be on fire, rather than simply waving their hands at it as if they were cold and shrieking, which only makes me want to incinerate them more.

8. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 New Member

Thanks for the nocheer improvement, now I was wondering with my sims I have many with everything maxed out thanks to the SimPe program, the problem I'm having is that when any sim goes to use a computer the rest of them immediately want to go and turn it off. All jumping and hollering like it was a crime or something just to have it on! amussing for the first couple of times, but now just plain annoying. Is there a way to fix this or what?

9. J. M. Pescado

I could make them never want to turn off the computer on their own.... I mean, honestly, who the hell turns off a computer, anyway? I never turn off my computer. Turning off computers is bad for them, because it imposes thermal stress on the parts, which can cause them to crack or warp.

10. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 New Member

That would be great! I never Turn my computer off either,(the few seconds it takes to boot up is just killer! LOL).

11. J. M. Pescado

For anyone who cares, here's a NEW version of the "No Cheering Hack".

Changes:
    1. The gesture of satisfaction that a Sim makes upon receiving a good grade is changed: They now animate their recognition of receiving their good grade by doing the "Yes!" gesture with their fist, but do not run to their parents, nor jump and cheer.

2. Sims, upon returning from school, MOVE AWAY FROM THE BUS before attempting to open their report card. This allows the next child to immediately begin disembarking, rather than waiting until the entire affair finishes, which roughly cuts unloading time by half.

3. Other children brought home by visitors should also perform the behavior 2 above, rather than standing there like posts for about 10 minutes until their AI finally kicks in.

12. madhattr999

madhattr999 New Member

where do i put the file? in downloads?

13. J. M. Pescado

Yup. When in doubt, everything goes in downloads.

14. madhattr999

madhattr999 New Member

wow.. great job with that mod.. it works awesome :D

15. CMartch

CMartch New Member

Really?

Is it really bad to turn your computer off? It seems like mine have always started seriously lagging if they dont get a break for a few days in a row. I read once you're supposed to turn desktops off once a week but my mother-in-law never turns theirs off and it seems ok... Also does it really save power to turn it off everynight, or is it like a car where it takes a significant amount of power for the actuall process of powering up or down? I have to find ways to make it run faster until I can afford more RAM. I'm a dork, and I just bought a new Dell finally, but I didn't get more RAM than I had on my old Compaq and new computer just doesnt seem new unless its faster! Know what I mean? I guess I got a little off subject, but I just certainly don't want to do any harm to it. Thanks, Corinne

16. J. M. Pescado

That's a Windoze behavior. It's not specific to the computer itself, and it's safe to reboot the computer. Shutting it down and turning it on and off, however, imposes thermal stress on the boards as they heat and cool from being turned on and off, which can cause cracking and eventually break them.

That's nonsense: The only real risk to the computer of leaving it running for an extended period of time is the possibility that it may overheat, but this is extremely unlikely unless you're actually forcing it to compute at full power the entire time, such as for scientific computing, cracking, etc., AND your home and computer have inadequate cooling. The other possible risk is wear and tear on the ball bearings of your hard drive, but many computers can be programmed to spin down the HDDs when not in use for an extended period of time. Fan wear is also a potential issue, but many motherboards reduce fan speeds when heat is low, and fans are cheap anyway. Odds are good your computer will be obsolete and need replacement long before any parts wear out like that.

Computers do not consume all that much power when idling, and many computers will automatically go into a low-power state when left unattended on their own anyway: The only thing you might want to do is shut off the monitor, which DOES draw a fair amount of power, and isn't necessary if you're not at the computer. It's also worth nothing that what you could possibly save in electricity for shutting off the computer is likely lost on wasted Internet time, the portion of the ISP bill you pay for, that is "spoilage" because you shut off the computer, and therefore could not use the Internet. The computer should always be left on for that reason alone, since every second the computers are off, you are losing money on your Internet bill: When you pay for a month of Internet, you **** well better USE that month, or it's money down the drain.

Sort of: Powering up the computer typically runs the CPU, RAM, and drives at full while the operating system loads, which is certainly a larger drain on system resources than simply idling, but this isn't really an issue.

Augh. So many brand names. Don't buy brand name computers. They may seem like a bargain, but they're actually quite terrible: Manufacturers like to use downgraded, inferior versions of standard boards, on the grounds that the typical buyer of brand-name computers knows nothing about computers and won't realize he's been had by being sold an inferior part. Brand name computers, for instance, often sell you cheap motherboards with integrated graphics processors and no AGP slot, rendering it impossible to upgrade: As integrated graphics units are typically awful at 3D work, you won't really be able to play games on the machine, ever, really, because you have no potential to upgrade due to lack of AGP slot. Since these big-name manufacturers know that the typical pleb knows only things like "GHz" and perhaps the idea that more RAM is good, they typically just put these in there, and ignore everything else, figuring you won't know squat about things like bus speeds or graphics cards.

17. CMartch

CMartch New Member

Well, thanks for taking all that time! It's always good to learn more about this stuff. My brother is big on computers and helps me most of the time and he recommened Dell because it's a quality computer that will do what I need it to, since i'm not that big a technology buff. I bought it because of all the recommendations and because I could customize it to have what I need. Before that I always had Compaqs because in Houston we had a compaq factory outlet store and it was the brand I knew most about, but Im SO tired of them. I owned the sims for years playing on other peoples computers because it wouldn't work on mine. Several computer experts came to the conclusion that it's just not compatible with the brand. My bro has a custom Alienware computer he got for HS graduation before spending 4 years at WPI, but I dont need something like that! I just mainly wanted more space and it had to be able to play sims2. Whew, I can't seem to shut up today. Anyways, thanks for answering my Q so thoroughly, I appreciate it!
    <3 Corinne

18. J. M. Pescado

Many computer-saavy folks refer to Compaqs as "Crapaqs". That should tell you something about them.

19. Rowanstaff

Rowanstaff Kilted Freak!

Comps...

I have gained a disdain for the prepacked comps.

Comcraps are high on my list. When people tell me they bought one I say "Congrats on yer 500 dollar paperweight." A month or so later they agree with me.

Gaytways are bad too.
    And Hewlett Crapards too.

20. J. M. Pescado

For anyone who still cares, the updated current version the money tree. What could I possibly have added? This.

Attached Files: