Patch is out

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Nellie, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Nellie

Nellie New Member

Patch is out

\o/ 'nuff said

2. Nellie

Nellie New Member

If you've run the widget to get rid of the pixelation (showers, going to the toilet etc) you need to revert back to the original Sims2.exe for the patch to work properly.

3. micahdepeche

micahdepeche New Member

help?

do you mean intprop censorgridsize 0 ? I cant get the patch to install and I typed that in ( i thought originally I did it right but I still get the blury thing when they do their business so I guess it didnt work.) but I did it again just incase and I still cant get the patch to finish installing. Im not sure what to do.

4. darkstormyeve

darkstormyeve New Member

There are some nude patches around now that DON'T require you to change your exe file. Just do a search and see what you can find on the net. I can't remember where I got mine from.

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Let's try to stay away from the nude patch. I'll let this discussion continue, however the fact is that anything that Codehacks/Modified Files/Patches that has been installed will probably need to be removed before installed or reinstalled.

6. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

Did anyone actually succeed in installing the patch? Any problems after installing?

7. GrindLine33

GrindLine33 New Member

I've installed it and so far everything seems to be okay. And my families that were previously stricken with the jump bug are indeed fixed.

But I did take extra precautions as I read a multitude of posts on the official Sims 2 BBS of people complaining about weird people showing up on their lots, pregnant Sims not being pregnant anymore, and all kinds of other things. So I copied my EA Games folder from my documents and then uninstalled the game to get a fresh start on the program. I reinstalled, downloaded the patch, and then I opened the game and played around for a few minutes to see if it was running okay. It was so I quit and replaced the new EA Games folder that had been installed with my copy I'd made of my old one. And everything's been working fine.

So far so good. *knocks on wood*

8. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised the result of those buggy games are resulted in using "third-party" code hacks.

9. Nellie

Nellie New Member

No I used a widget to do it (didnt know you could achieve it through the console at the time which was about 3 minutes after installing) which apparently modified the .exe file.

On the basis of the above I stripped out anything that could be described as a "hack" from the game (especially seeing as most of the were workarounds for stuff fixed in the patch) and so far I havent encountered any other problems.

10. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

I had some subtle changes to my game, too. Like that every time a sim started to look into the expensive telescope, he/she was abducted!!! :) This happening with anyone else??

I noticed some other things too. I noticed that the sims have new expressions. I told one of my shy sims to kiss a girl he liked, and not only did he pout, but he stomped his feet, looked down at his feet and muttered before he would do it. Then later on he pinched the girls behind, and his mother, who was in the room, became very disgusted, covered her eyes with her hands, and carried on. I'd never noticed these sorts of interactions before.

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Kristal. I've seen some of those before. It does look as though some of mine are doing more than they did before tho. I have a messy sim who throws a right old sulk every time I make him do any sort of cleaning or tidying. Active sims moan if made to sit down and so on.
    Incidentally I played the game with JMP's phone hack installed and it still works exactly as it did before post patch.
    The grow baby up is still a darn nuisance. I had one family that I just couldn't control at all on the baby's birthday. I'd get one to put it on the floor just before 6 pm so that whoever was gonna decide to help it grow up wcould get on with it and ... seven tmes in a row some other idiot sim would storm in and pick the child up ... usually a passing guest (they're a gregarious bunch, the Rivers famille :p) . Whe4n things go my way and I get the baby to turn toddler at the right moment (6:01pm) I can generally stuff it full of smart milk before it poops its panties then stick it on the potty and boof! Potty trained! Immediately teach it to walk. Stop half way thru for a recharge of smart milk then finish walk teaching before pushing it to exhaustions by teaching it to talk. By then it dog tired and will sleep for about five hours, long enough for the stay at home parent to grab a little shut-eye. (I can then keep 'em stuffed up with smart formula and just have it play all day with the charismatic Wabbit, charisma being the only thing a child can't acquire before reaching teens and charisma is soooo important and so boring to build up ... ;)

Er ... why is it that we still have only one self-selected adult/teen in the house who will help baby with birthday and even then this action is auto-cancelled if the baby has to be taken from anywhere except the floor. I know the patch is supposed to allow babies to grow up even if the help with birthday is cancelled but when does it happen? Not any time between 6 and 7pm that's for sure.

12. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

You've contracted a virally distributed hack that bundled itself with a downloaded lot. This is the effects of a hack made by a guy named PatchesSims2, and if somebody was careless in packaging a lot, it will have piggybacked itself with the lot. Since it overrides a standard item, however, it will implant itself into every single expensive telescope, resulting in this behavior. It can be safely removed, if you can identify its now mangled filename, without any other side effects.

That said, I am very unimpressed by this patch. This took nearly 3 months to make, and fixes only a few very minor bugs, the most significant of which had already been hacked around anyway. Major, hardcode related issues like the disappearing doors and windows, and the neighborhood view "sinkhole" effect on houses with large basements, remain completely unresolved.

13. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I had read a few horror stories about installing, but I did what we were told to begin with: make sure all your hacks/patches/etc are removed and *then* install.

I had no problems. Since I had left my DVD in the computer, I didn't even get the prompt to put in the disc. (Some people with the CDs found that they couldn't get it to work with the 4th disc but did fine with the 1st one.) It's very nice to have my Sims able to talk about their memories without jumping out of the interaction.

14. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

But JMP, I can't think of anything that Maxis could possibly done with the patch that *would* have made you happy.

None of the hacks let us have the memories discussed without jumping, so that's a big difference from the hacks. And there are several other things that I've noticed in terms of improvements. (However, I doubt you care very much if your toddler can change clothes. But that's only one minor issue. I suspect the parents who don't want their kids to be in an administrative account are pretty happy.)

15. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

They COULD have fixed all of the aforementioned bugs, and they could have done so yesterday. That would make me happy.

Other than losing the afro, which even *I* notice, I can't say I'd terribly notice the inability to change their clothes. I mean, you change their clothes? They *HAVE* clothes? I always thought they just sat around in their toddler suit doing their thing until they grew up. It's not like they LAST terribly long, and each of those toddler-moments is very, very busy. You'd hardly have enough time to frivolously change their outfits without them running out of fuel, and they're not old enough to caffeinate yet.

16. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

I've also installed the patch now. Remove hacks, run patch, "Insert disc 4", OK, wait, done. As no errors popped up I can assume it was successful.

I've played a couple of families since then and noticed the following changes:
    * all mood bars have been "reset" (ie as good as maxed out). As a result of this Sims that were asleep are now standing next to their beds.
    * bed covers are not in the colours that I originally bought them in (need to further check this out, only noticed it in the second family I played yesterday)
    * Sims seem more stubborn - but this might be a coincidence. Didn't play long enough to be sure.

I always save with Pause activated so that the game waits for me to return from wherever I went when the loading started (large lots can take a while). As I'm constantly micromanaging (it's beyond my control ;) ) usually some sims have some actions assigned to them as well when saving. Now, when I reloaded the families after the patch I noticed the following:
    * time seems to have advanced - and the saved actions executed or cancelled. One of my teens was talking on the phone just before going to her job. Time must have been between 1300 and 1400 because the carpool hadn't arrived yet. When the game reloaded time was around 1440, teen was standing next to road and carpool was gone, no work today... Just when I wanted her to get that last promotion so that her parents both would score the 6000 ASP points for the "overachiever teen" or whatever it's called.
    * there are townies present on my lot (even in the house) that were not there before. After releasing Pause they immediatelly disappear. I have the impression that these townies are the ones that were last spoken to on the phone (I don't remember 100% but it might be even possible that one of my sims was talking to them at the moment that I last saved).

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yeah I found the same sort of thing with mine, Aragorn. I actually muttered to myself: "Hey what is this? An EP or a patch!"

Two of my sims were standing 'in' a flight of steps (the black cast iron ones). They had to walk thru walls to get out. It seems very odd to me. I can only assume that the patch some pretty sweeping changes all through the game ....

18. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

Hmm, where did I hear this before? Oh yeah, I remember: w2k SP5 was planned but MS decided to convert it into a patch. Or in other words: our policy does not allow us to create an SP, so let's just create a patch. Same content, less effort (I'm thinking of documentation and stuff). :)

19. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

:)
    Now see, that just shows that you are the typical male. I'll bet most guys wouldn't care if their toddlers ran around in only their diapers like the newborns do. They don't in real life, either. When I leave my baby at home with hubby, I try to leave him dressed in clean clothes and clean diaper. When I return home, the baby is wearing only a diaper and it probably needs a changing. When I ask Hubby why the baby's not wearing clothes, he'll say something about the baby didn't want to wear them, didn't want to fight with him, ect.

I take great delight in picking out clothes to suit the personalities of my Sims families, and the toddlers are no exception. So I will be one of those silly people who will take the time to go to a community lot, pick out clothes for the toddler, come home and dress it up. I think, thought, judging from the comments on this and others Sims 2 boards I read, that I am not alone in this. If I am playing a wealthy family I want the toddler to be wearing something "froo-froo", like a frilly dress for a girl or a sailor suit for a boy. And, if it is a poor family, the baby might run around all day in one of the diaper covers and t-shirts I downloaded.

Oh, another thing, you were right about the hacked telescope. I knew it was too much of a coincidence when the next sim to use the telescope was also abducted. I went into my downloaded files and there it was, even saying it was a "hacked telescope." So I removed the file. Is there another one too, JMP? You mentioned that I wouldn't be able to find it.

20. Zootyzoot

Zootyzoot Keeper of Broken FeltTips

What for? I'd really be interested to know. I don't see any difference in the interactions of my high-Charisma Sims to those of my low-Charisma Sims, but I haven't paid that much attention to it. Unless you were joking, in which case :eek:.

If this is true then it'd be a really good thing. I love thier expressions, and they definately don't do them enough! Kristal, the expressions you describe sound excellent, I may download the patch and transfer it onto my boyfriend's laptop (or my Sims computer as it is more commonly known :p) now I know this.

Me too, very much so, as well as making them, which is equally fun, and also really easy. Just mucking around with the hue/saturation/lightness on psp or similar of existing clothes produces really quite groovesome results.