Private School?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Simari, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Zootyzoot

Zootyzoot Keeper of Broken FeltTips

:) That's why I called him pretentious - in the little bits of text that pop up, he gives you the impression that he is here to vet your family for refinement or intellectuality or something, but in reality he's a shallow little tyke who's mainly interested in playing pinball, money, eating and flirting in the hot tub.

2. Simari

Simari New Member

Aha, I think I found problem as to why he didn't have any of my delicious turkey. In the Danish translation of TS2 the options I have when choosing "Entertain" are the tour AND "call for dinner" only the word "call" is translated into the Danish word for a phone-call. So I didn't choose that one because I didn't want to order any food from a cater or whatever, like the option gave impression of.

So when I choose "call for dinner" he sits down or what?

An yes, the first headmaster I tried is now a friend of the family. Pitty that it was another one the second time. But I got my girls in private school and that's all that counts, they've both gaines two logic-points already after three days in school. I love that private school.

3. Zootyzoot

Zootyzoot Keeper of Broken FeltTips

If you've ended the tour, he'll go over to the table, sit down and either wait patiently for food or start eating, depending on whether there's food there or not. If you haven't ended the tour he'll follow around the Sim who is supposed to be giving him the tour and completely ignore everything else ever, and the Call for Dinner option'll be used up so you'll have to rely on his autonomousness to have him eat, and this will invariably result in him playing pinball for three days or drowning himself in the hottub or throwing himself off the roof or something.

Are there any other mistranslations you (or anyone else!) has found?

4. Simari

Simari New Member

There are some rather clumsy translations, the Danish imperative is not very idiomatic and extremely rare on its own. So all the options in imperative (especially the Danish word for "change") sounds quite odd. But that's ok and I got used to it after a few days...

But the "call for dinner" is really confusing and I wouldn't have understood it if it wasn't for you guys. So thanks...

5. Angelyne

Angelyne New Member

I just love your language. I could sit and listen to someone read me the paper for ages, even if I can't understand a word :)

I found an online site that taught you languages and Danish was one of the options. I played with it for a little while, but I have no talent for languages, despite being bilingual (french/english). Of my efforts my Danish friend commented, only the Danes understand Danish :)

6. Simari

Simari New Member

Really? Most comments I get when speaking Danish outside the country are that Danish is a bit harsh and sounds almost agressive. But it's nice to hear that some people can hear the obvious qualities of the language. But English beats Danish when it comes to variety, I like that.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ah but english would be lacking its variety without the linguistic inputs from all the lovely invaders who came to conquer our green and pleasant isle ... including a fair few vikings and jutes. :)

8. pretty_princess

pretty_princess HeY tHeRe

YA:) ,NOW ITS PRETTY EASY TRYIN TO TAKE KIDS TO PRIVATE SCHOOLS!:D ;) :cool:

9. pretty_princess

pretty_princess HeY tHeRe