Help!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Average Person, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Average Person

Average Person New Member

Help!

I know I shouldn't have done it, but I found the perfect house on a site other than thesims2.com or any other site I could know or trust. Up to that point, I was very careful not to download anything bad. The only "hacks" I had (after I downloaded a hack scanner and looked around) were a bunch of items.

However, after downloading that house, I found out that I ended up with many more hacks. A mailbox hack, a "nowelfare" hack, a no social worker hack, a fashion carrer hack, a fashion teen carrer, an alien conspiracy carrer - to name a few. I realized that these hacks replaced existing carrers. :eek:

While cool, I did not want to have these user-made carrers over the originals (I had worked so hard to create Sims around their job and replacing cop with alien conspiracy just wasn't plain cool). So, I went "delete, delete, delete, delete, delete..." (though I kept the mailbox hack) and brought back up Sims 2. Much to my dismay Alien Conspiracy was still there, replacing Law Enforcement!

So, I now pleed for help! I need to remove the carrer replacement hacks. While some hacks - like the mailbox one - are exceptable, others just take away the fun. Please help me remove the new carrers so I can get back to the defaults!

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

First try renaming your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads folder. Just change its name and restart the game. This will stop the game using anything that has been installed in the downloads folder ... which is hopefully where most hacks end up ... if that fixes it I am afraid that you are reduced to adding back files one at at a time and restarting the game to check that you are happy with the result.

Good advice is to always back up My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads before adding new stuff.

3. Average Person

Average Person New Member

Well, I can fix it all pretty easily. Every .package file was downloaded to the location C:\Downloads\Sims 2, so it will be a quick reinstall of all of the wanted files. The problem is that it will be just that - reinstall of all of the wanted files. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it tomorrow when I have the time to manually go through each one.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Good for you! I would have added that bit of advice myself ... but omitted it for simplicity :rolleyes:

5. mandarax

mandarax New Member

Hack Scanners

Hola

I've been looking for hack scanners, so I won't have to deal with things like career changing hacks and stuff like that... Anyone know where I can find a good one?

Many thanks

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I haven't tried any of these. I suggest that you use Google and search for
    hack scanner sims 2
    There are plenty of references ... but IMHO the most reputable has to be the one of the New Scientist website. (For non brits New Scientist is similar to Scientific American)

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6857

7. mandarax

mandarax New Member

Many many thank you's. :) I appreciate the quick response!
    I shall check it out.

8. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You might check on ModTheSims2. They have something that they call "Clean install" which sounds like it is a hack preventer rather than something like the old "Sims Eraser."

I can't guarentee that it scans (since I haven't tried to use it), but from the description of it that I read, it sounds like it might be.

9. mandarax

mandarax New Member

Oh thanks! That was very helpful! :D

10. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

actually clean install doesn't prevent hacks from installing unless you don't enable it by not checking the appropriate box. It does let you know when you have duplicate items in the same file (they turn pink) and whether a hack can affect the basic program (red). also you can move items to other files so you can organize your files easily. any other tho'ts anyone? It also lets you see the source, creator etc.