Who Let the Pets Out?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Mar 13, 2005.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Who Let the Pets Out?

We all know we love our furry little friends, and well, if Maxis does ever release a Pet Themed Expansion pack, what do you you want in the Expansion Pack? :D

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Josh. In keeping with this thread's title I vote for pet doors (eg cat-flaps in doors)

3. aharris

aharris New Member

I want hairballs. It's so unrealistic to have cats without hairballs. :p

I think pet influencing reactions could be lots of fun. We all know our pets manipulate us, so why not let sim pets manipulate their owners?

4. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

What I want is pet dorrs like Mirelly said and I want to be able to have more pets then like in ts1 where they counted as family. Maybe make a second bar you can click an arrow and go to or something and have your pets there. Never could make my family seeing as how we have too many cats hehe

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

1) ways of preventing pets from going outside. (For example, require a pet door for indoor/outdoor pets, but without one they are indoor only.)
    2) life cycle for pets
    3) more than one size of pet
    4) pet genetics
    5) Body Shop and Create a Sim for pets (I hated that you had to go to the pet adoption for *all* your pets. I wanted to be able to have a pet created as part of a family if I chose.)
    6) from Unleashed: able to train pets, able to show pets, etc.

6. Melara

Melara New Member

More breeds of dog that actually LOOK like their breeds. But most importantly, I think I would want some level of the same control over the pets as we have over the normal Sims. I mean, I want to be able to click on the pet's icon and see that pets needs. If they're hungry, if they need to potty, blah blah blah. I mean, they wouldn't be able to fulfil those needs on their own (unless there was a doggy door), but at least you'd have a better idea then what you needed your sims to do.

Breeding would be cool too, but probably too complicated. You know, breed your two dogs or your show dog to someone else's and have puppies, and even have the option of spaying/neutering your pet.

7. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

I'm not sure what else I would like BUT I do like the ideas everyone else posted.

8. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

i want different breeds that actually had different facial features. and i also want it to be sorta like making children. you can make them with CAS, or you can adopt them, and when adopting them, you can't choose what they'll look like, etc. also, i want a LARGE variety of pet items. and i hope that they'll make it like regular sims 2 items, where you can choose the color and stuff. i also want more interactions between owner and pet.

9. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

I'd like to see some genetics with the animals. If you have a poodle and a pekeneese (sorry for the bad spelling) breed, you have a peekapoo. It would be fun to see what sort of odd breeds we can come up with. One of my favorite aspects of raising sims babies is the genetics--this one has mom's hair and dad's eyes, this nose is dominant through all the kids this man has, etc. It would be fun if they could reproduce that with animals. But I can see how hard that would be.:rolleyes:

10. ChaosShade

ChaosShade New Member

i'd really like to see pet genetics and life cycles

11. Sylla

Sylla New Member

As well as a wide variety, I would like pets that actually help you achieve some goal, like say you had the scientific career path, you could get a rat or hampster and do experiments on them, nothing nasty mind you, just say a maze or something like that.
    Maybe a few new career paths like magician (so you can pull a rabit out of your hat), circus performer (or animal tamer) and vetinarian.
    I would really like pet snakes too.

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hmm ... the mongrels might be interesting ... :p

13. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

if there are pet lifetimes, does that mean we could have a pet Cemetary?

14. aharris

aharris New Member

Wouldn't it be even neater if that pet cemetary let you bury things in it that came back as evil zombies? :eek:

15. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

I think you guys are getting a little over excited!:p:D What about, bad dogs that like bite a sim when it get's to close. The sim yells and runs away off screen. Cats that jump on fences and teez dogs:p

16. SimSay

SimSay New Member

I loved unleashed, but didn't like the hundreds of strays! So I went on a mission to get all of them adopted!

But one thing which would be really cool when (not if!) would be to have allergies! Now that is realism! So a new family memeber could sneeze everytime the cat/dog was round!

Oh and to have a cat sit on your lap

And sneakily sleep on your bed!

If they bring mice back they, how about catching them & hand rearing - ok probably too much of a handful!

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

One major problem I can conceive concerning pets is the lifespan thing. IRL people get thru several dogs or cats per lifetime. In sim terms this would mean a dog pregnancy lasting only a day, puppyhood 2/3 days and adult dog maybe another 10 or 15 ... I'm not sure I could cope with all the pain. If TS2 pets have a much longer life tho' it might make that aspect of the game feel wooden and too unreal.

My personal choice would be to have a pet themed EP where sims go to buy a pet fully grown but neutered by a local simcity ordinance to control the terrible strays problem of yesteryear. Of course there would be a wide range of poochies and moggies to choose from with many different breeds available. They would live for a good portion of a Sim's lifespan ... say around 40-50 days and leave behind an urn/tombstone.

18. aharris

aharris New Member

I don't think it would so complicated. The pet wouldn't have to have 6-7 life-stages comprising 50+ days of life. I could see the pet having 2 life stages and I could see them being timed so that a sim could go through maybe two during his life-span (three counting one in the house when he was born). It might not be totally realistic, but I think it would work.

19. Zootyzoot

Zootyzoot Keeper of Broken FeltTips

In Unleashed the animals were all tiny, which was cute but a bit dull. I'd like to have great big dogs that took up sofas. Their interactions with toddlers would surely be the height of cute. And maybe farm animals? So maybe farms, like in Unleashed? So maybe communes? So maybe wealth-sharing? :)

About the animals dying thing - I wouldn't mind. I think it would be terrible if they lasted for unrealistic amounts of time. Maxis should definately tailor animal lifespans to Sim lifespans, with things like guniea-pigs lasting a fortnight, maybe. I think it'd be pushing the T-for-Teen thing a bit too far if they woodenised aminal lifespans. Indestructible babies I can understand - superpets I can't.

The strays on Unleashed were indescribably irritating. I desperately hope Maxis leaves them out. If they don't I probably won't buy the pack.

20. SimSay

SimSay New Member

Farm animals? Arghhhh! I'd hate chickens roaming round my garden! - Although I could see it being a nice way to restock the fridge for free! Cows as well!

On other sites I think I noticed there seemed to be quite a lot of support for Horses as an EP. However that's not my thing at all, so unless they went all out, Sims go Country! Where you could have horses, do a buckin broncho (body point scoring!!), chickens & foxes (ha ha ha - eat the chickens!!!), And obviously need cow pats!