Troubleshooting upgrading my computer

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by cutie2, Mar 29, 2005.

1. cutie2

cutie2 New Member

upgrading my computer

I posted back in february about upgrading my computer to run sims2 and someone asked what type of dell did I own. Well it is a dell dimension 3000, are those hard to upgrade?

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

What I really dislike about Dell is they use proprietary technology. So yes, in some cases they are hard to upgrade, but overall, it isn't that difficult.

3. cutie2

cutie2 New Member

I recently purchased a computer in January, a Dell
    processor: intel celeron d processor (2.66 ghz)
    memory: 256 mb
    hard drive: 80 gb ultra ATA100 7200 rpm
    video: integrated intel extreme graphics 2
    sound: intergrated audio

my problem is while playing, going to community lot or if 4 sims are in the same area the game freezes and also it takes forever to load. I'm new to pc gaming and I have been seeing a lot of posting about video cards and graphics. In order to play this game to it capacity i need to know if I need to upgrade anything and exactly what i need to do. Also i disable my virus scanner and shut down background apps and processes. any help would be appreciated, I loved the sims on xbox and want to love them more
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This was my previous message, maybe you can help me choose what upgrades I need. I don't want to sound like an idiot when I go into the store.

4. ManagerJosh

I'd do this:

Buy 2 x 512MB sticks of PC3200 DDR memory. Take out the old stick, and replace with both sticks. But do double check over at http://support.dell.com for your specs and see if you have enough expansion slots.

5. cutie2

cutie2 New Member

I don't need to change my video card?

6. cutie2

cutie2 New Member

Not sure if this helps put I have the DVD version of s2

7. ManagerJosh

Well if you do want to upgrade your graphics card, determine that after to see if the memory boast will help any.

I'm looking in terms of financial priority.

If money isn't an issue, then definitely go ahead an upgrade the video card. I recommend a GeForce FX5700 or something higher.

8. cutie2

cutie2 New Member

thanks