Troubleshooting I Cannot Install Sims 2. Computer Stops Installing at 77%

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ccualumni, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ccualumni

ccualumni New Member

I Cannot Install Sims 2. Computer Stops Installing at 77%

I tried to install the Sims 2 on my second computer and it keeps locking up at 77% on disk 4.

I have used these disks to install Sims 2 on 2 different computers with no problem.

My second computer:
    Intel Celkeron 2.4 ghz
    512 mb ram
    direct x 9.0c

HAs anyone else had this problem? I let it run for over 20 minutes andit stayed at the 77% the entire time.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

2. vlad

vlad New Member

Ya, i have this same problem but mine stops at 23% on disk 2 and i let it run for a while but it didnt do noting. Funny thing is i already had it installed on the same comp. before i just had to reinstall it because i messed it up wit the stupid nocd crack.

3. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

if you already had the game installed once you may have to do a clean uninstall so that you arent doubling the space it is using in your memory etc.

4. Dispel Illusions

Dispel Illusions New Member

Make sure the disk are clean and free of scratches.
    If you have had the game installed on this computer before, make sure to delete all Sims 2 folders in both My Documents and in C:programes, EA Games.

If the game still will not install you may try a manual instillation. Here is how to do it.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Make sure to follow the steps below exactly as they read, or else the install may not work.[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Double-click My Computer.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Right-click on the Local Disk C and choose Open.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Name the folder Disk Images it is important that the name has a space in it.[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Double-Click the new Disk Images folder to open it.[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Name this folder Disk1.[/FONT]
    8. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for each of the disk naming them Disk2 and so forth until there is a folder for each of the disk. It is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number. [/FONT]
    9. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Insert Disk 1 of The sims 2 into your disk drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.[/FONT]
    10. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Double-click My Computer to open it.[/FONT]
    11. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Right-click on your disk drive and choose Open.[/FONT]
    12. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.[/FONT]
    13. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.[/FONT]
    14. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the disk into the Disk1 folder.[/FONT]
    15. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Repeat steps 9 through 14 for each of the other disk until you have copied each disk into its appropriate folder. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Once the disks have been copied, remove ALL disks from any drives.[/FONT]
    16. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.[/FONT]
    17. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation has completed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If you receive an error whilst copying the files this means the disk is either damaged or defective.[/FONT]

5. ukmel

ukmel CrAzY!!!

Mine used to stop at 77% as well. Weird!

When I reformetted my computer a few weeks later it worked fine though.

6. texasgirl73

texasgirl73 New Member

I'm having similar problems installing my Sims 2...when I first tried installing it, the computer froze up on disc 4 at 77%. I tried it again and now it freezes at 23%. I've done a disc cleanup, defrag, even did the whole copying thing as described in Dispel Illusions' post but that didn't work either. Installing the first part goes ok, but then it prompts me to install disc 2 before it can proceed and it does nothing. Any other suggestions??

7. PhrozenWarrior

PhrozenWarrior New Member

Same exact deal, mine freezes at 77% when it asks for my first disk. I've already installed it successfully on my other computer, attempting the manual installation now.

8. stahowey

stahowey New Member

Maybe this will work?

Ok, this may sound funny but I had the same problem and I realized that I was kinda jumping the gun..... When it asked for the next disk, I was clicking ok before the disk started to load and it would stop at 23% or 77%. I would insert disk and then when the cd drive would start running at a steady pace that is when I would click ok and it seemed to solve the problem. I hope this works, just a suggestion. Stacey:rolleyes:

9. texasgirl73

texasgirl73 New Member

Yes, that did work for me finally...insert the disc but wait til the drive starts running before clicking ok. Thanks for the suggestion! I got it installed successfully.

10. stahowey

stahowey New Member

Great, I'm glad to hear that worked. It took me a while to figure out what was going on when mine would stop installing.:)

11. Jzr20312

Jzr20312 New Member

I also have the same problem it says a problem occured when trying to TSData/Res/Sound/Metal. package, and this computer is one of the new window vista type... and the problem occurs during the 77%

12. jessminger

jessminger New Member

Hi. i used to have Sims2 installed and it was working perfectly well until i had to wipe my computer clean and re-install windows..twice. ever since then i cannot install Sims 2 mine stops at 13% a problem occured when trying to transfer the file "TSData\Res\Sims3D\Sims13.package" from the media" ove tried absolutly everything. ive tried saving it to the computer...i dont have any virtual drives...ive even gone as far as toothpaste and still nothing is working.please help xx

13. xlilmidgex

xlilmidgex New Member

This dusnt work