Pre-Reading for Nightlife

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kristalrose, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Pre-Reading for Nightlife

Since I'm terrified of the bugs, glitches, mods incompatibility, and other problems when I load my new EP this Tuesday (hopefully), I've been doing some research. I found these threads very helpful:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?threadid=89159

http://www.modthesims2.com/announcement.php?f=31&announcementid=63

http://www.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=6075

Anyone else have any news of people getting Nightlife early, how they like the game, the new EP (Business? Not Pets?? Methinks Maxis is going to have a riot on their hands.) And the game reads and disables incompatablie custom content? Is that what I'm reading?

Anyway, let's discuss the communities reactions to Nightlife here, while we wait on Mr. Postman. (singing Please, please, wait a minute Mr. Postman. . . )

2. imnotu1

imnotu1 New Member

cool, thanks

3. Rowanstaff

Rowanstaff Kilted Freak!

Sigh. I got Uni just a short while ago, and so I've been loading custom stuff to get caught up, and now some of it might not work? Poopy. :confused: Cross my fingers, knock on wood, and throw some salt over my shoulder.. and hope hope hope, I guess.

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Here's my plan, based on what I've been told on this site:

1. Make sure none of my lots has service people or visitors on it, and that everyone is home. Save each lot that way.

2. Make a backup of all of my data.

3. Move all downloads and packaged lots to another part of my hard drive.

4. Install Nightlife.

5. Run Nightlife, make sure it works.

6. Move downloads and packaged lots back using Clean Installer. Get rid of those that don't appear to work.

7. Run Nightlife again, or whatever you need to do to accept/reject downloads. Kind of fuzzy on this step.

8. Play, play, play!!!

Of course, first, I need to upgrade my computer ... still working on that step. :(

5. Rowanstaff

Rowanstaff Kilted Freak!

Done, done, and done. Leaving my system to defrag while I go pick up my copy. I hope it runs alright!

6. surprised_by_witches

So, my plan makes sense? That's kind of what I wanted to know.

My friend won't be able to get to my computer till next week. I don't know if I'm going to make it. :(

7. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

All I have to say is...I live in Roseville...about 15 minutes away from Minneapolis...

8. surprised_by_witches

You are a foolish, foolish woman to offer me computer space. Lucky for you I'm addicted to MY sims and they're stuck on my computer. :D

Otherwise you'd have to peel me from your computer chair.

But you're sweet to offer. I CAN play, it's just my current, temporary speed of 600 MhZ drives me up the wall ...

9. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Play..! oh dear, don't mis-understand me, I won't be able to be peeled away either, but you can watch! ;)

Just kidding...I did have a friend ask me if she could come over and play to see what all the fuss is about...oh man...how am I supposed to respond to that... I don't think I can give up my computer sims time to someone else, bad enough that when the boy gets home I have to let him check his email...but he is on restricted access and knows it for the next couple of weeks. He called to let me know it arrived at home at 12:45 this afternoon! I'm going out of my mind here at work...

10. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Witches, you did exactly what I am doing, except you left out a step:

"Keep prowling the various TS2 forums to see what's causing problems as I keep adding my stuff back."

When the game asks to disable custom content, it disables EVERYTHING that it reads as changing a global or a semi-global. Objects that have been restyled or reshaped, like the cribs from WDS, are also disabled. So, you really have to add these things one at a time.

11. surprised_by_witches

Good to know. Thanks, Kristal.

12. surprised_by_witches

You're all heart! :p

I'm just going to have to content myself with playing my one-sim houses for now, I guess. Sigh. How boring. Maybe I'll have to think of a story to go with it ...

13. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

It was a dark and stormy night when I saw the light in the tower. What was my neighbor up to now? There was enough talk when his wife disappeared and he took up with that hussy. But after his daughter married and son left for college, he seemed to become more isolated. More... weird. ...

14. surprised_by_witches

And then what happened?

15. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Since I'm still in "waiting" mode, that's what I've been doing too. (That and devouring the Prima Guide.)

I think that this is the last time that I mail order my game. I pity the poor UPS man on Monday!

16. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

SBW what do you think happened? I closed the curtains and curled up with a good book in front of the heater...

17. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Are they working? If these work, I may go ahead and buy the game.

18. surprised_by_witches

Funny. I'd be at my window with the telescope directed at the tower LOL. Just kidding ... :p

My favorite character is the one that everyone spies on now. She sure slaps a lot of faces!!!

19. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Yep, they do. :) Once I enabled custom content, then restarted the game, they showed up just fine.

20. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Thanks! I ran out and bought it today. :D I even broke down and bought the prima guide. Since the downloads seem to work and some of Pescado's hacks work...I'm good to go. I've decided that the worst that can happen is that I may have to reinstall the whole nine yards down the line. I can live with that.