Rain, rain and more rain

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lynet, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Rain, rain and more rain

It is pouring outside here in Baltimore, looking like waterfalls on all the windows. It's been raining hard since yesterday evening. It's now 3 pm here, by the way. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to be the sort of storm to knock out the electrical system. Can't go anywhere (some local roads under water) so what to do...what to do? Clean the basement? Or marathon Simming? :D Basement looks OK as it is.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Eigh...money bets that your basement will flood first :p

3. afropower234

afropower234 Truly Ancient

Don't fret Lynet!! Today was extremely bad for Northern VA. I was bowling with some friends and the power went out. We thought it was just the bowling alley, it was the whole power grid. NO STOP LIGHTS!!! It was crazy so I'm stuck inside with my sims.....who are getting very old very slow......

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Speaking of which, I wish we had rain here in SoCal. Would put us out of our misery because this time each year we have Fire Storms :-/

5. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

I know what you mean about the rain--I live in NJ. Really though, I don't mind it--I like the pitter-patter of it on the roof. What I do hate is when it's cloudy, like it is now. Now that's just depressing without even serving a purpose...

...and it'll be this way for the next week. Ah well, more simming to do :)

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

No flood. :rolleyes: The pump is in good working order. Fortunately, the electricity did not go out or the beetles and spiders would have been swimming down there, since the gound around Baltimore is thoroughly saturated. My husband's last house was always flooding in the basement, in spite of the pump down there. It couldn't keep up. I think the house was built too close to the local creek. No creeks near this house, just a lot of very wet gound.

Yeah, it's just cloudy and grey today. No rain. No simming :p . *sigh*

7. afropower234

afropower234 Truly Ancient

Sunday: Torrential rains ceased, however the park across the street is now a lake.....it actually looks really cool cuz the swingset's submerged under 3 or 4 inches of rain and so r the benches...but the neighborhood kids r kinda sad....

8. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Quick! Now's the time to sell your house! That "lakefront" view will rake in the cash :p

9. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Hee hee ... very funny John.

It rained here about a week ago and it looked like there was a river in front of my house, the sidewalk was so flooded. I couldn't see the cement and my flowers were up to their little armpits in flood. Fortunately they didn't wash away and the flood receded pretty quickly.

Also, thankfully, my basement did not flood. Not even a drop. Whew.

10. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

You're lucky you didn't get water. I think we got 1-2" or so, and the carpet in our basement is wet. It would help if someone installed the gutters on the house properly, though.... :p

-John

11. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Tonight and tomorrow -- more rain expected. :( Such gloomy skys. I'm kind of glad the sun shines everyday in Simland.

What about snow? Can we get snow for the Sims, as in snow on the roof, snow on the grass and bushes? Christmas lights in the windows? (I think I saw a Christmas tree done by someone over at the Sims2 site.)

12. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Well judging by the thing about the Holiday pack, we just might... :)

13. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

The weather is horrible, I agree. Even worse, yesterday we had a field trip to a mine somewhere around here. It was wet, it was cold, it was muddy... And we had to pay for it, too!

14. Sylla

Sylla New Member

Love living in Australia, had the conversation the other day on how we Aussies compensate for not having snow and realised, that when we were all children we played with sand a lot.... Instead of snowball fights, we had boondy fights (you know how you get sand piles and it will clump up into a hard mass?) yeah, we used to throw em at each other! and then you'd get the occasional small rock in said sand clump and think what a bonus that was and throw it at the person you liked the least.... kids are evil aren't they? We even did sand angels at the beach, and we would sit on pieces of cardboard and slide down sand dunes. And the best thing about it of all, you could do all this in a t-shirt, shorts and no shoes!

But to the weather, we had the wettest September here in 30 years and our dam overflowed, so hopefully water restrictions wont be so harsh this summer.

15. Lynet

Lynet New Member

It's STILL raining here. I hear it outside. :(

I'm also hearing grumbles about the holiday package for Sims2. Something about the price. I'm going to go over to the site and read about it.

16. FRouse1

FRouse1 New Member

Were about to get plenty of rain down here in FL due to hurricane Wilma.

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Be careful and be safe down there, FRouse. :(

18. FRouse1

FRouse1 New Member

Wilma is pretty much gone. Didnt get too much here. My family is all okay.

19. Lynet

Lynet New Member

:D Whew. The pictures on TV look so frightening. I'm glad hurricanes are rare up here in Maryland. Although, I'm safely inland. Those on Maryland's coast are facing some rough winds tonight. :(

20. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Welcome, FRouse. Weather in the NW is dry compared to the east coast. It's supposed to rain this afternoon but if I keep it in perspective, this will be nothing...