Troubleshooting Slow and choppy

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by pooodle, Nov 11, 2005.

1. pooodle

pooodle New Member

Slow and choppy

Hey, I recently got a new computer and it is better than my last one where Sims2 worked great. Now it is very choppy and cant seem to handle when 3 people are home. It also looks a lot bigger-- I can't see the aspirations and the needs at the same time, before it seemed like everything on the screen was smaller because i could see the needs and wants at the same time
    PLEASE HELP
    thank you

2. packerbacker

packerbacker New Member

Is the building large? The game may just be slowing down due to the loading of other items. This can happen on any computer.

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Could we get your computer specs? :)

4. Shintoga

Shintoga Student of Simlish

Have you also checked the resolution that the game is set at?

5. resmc157

resmc157 Quantum Physicist

Lucky you, getting a new PC...
    Do you have a good graphics card? This might be causing the problem. Also, go into settings, and check off all of the graphics options that could make the game run faster.

6. pooodle

pooodle New Member

Specs

OK, im not sure what you want to know.. but here goes

340 Intel Celeron D Precessor
    512 MB SDRAM memory
    Windows XP

I dont know how to find out stuff about my graphics card

And the game is really slow, especially when there is more than 2 people in the house and it is big.. like 800x600 on the SIMS1, but i cant change it and its too big to see the aspirations and the needs at the same time.
    I need my old computer back!

THANKS

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

poodle dear. Do this:

click the Start button then click Run and a wee box will appear. Type in this:

dxdiag

then click on the OK button or just press the Enter key on your keyboard.

You puter will do some groovy thinking for a little while ... ;)

When it's finished click on the tab labelled 'Display' and it will tell you tons of cool stuff about your graphics. We need this info to help you.

8. pooodle

pooodle New Member

ok graphics stuff

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

approx total memory- 64 MB
    Current Display Mode- 1024 x 768 (32 bit)(60Hz)

DirectX Features:
    DirectDraw Acceleration
    Direct3D Acceleration

Wow, I dont know if this means anything to yall, because it seems like a bunch of squiggles to me.
    Thanks though!

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK poodle. That is set up is an integrated graphics adapter (as opposed to a having a separate graphic card).

There is a little you can do (immediately) to improve the way the game plays.
    1. Lower the graphic settings in the game menu (the little button with the 3 dots on it). Choose all the lowest/worst settings and this will speed things up. Once it's going better you can try carefully tweaking one option up a notch until you notice it makes the game choppy again.
    2. Play only small houses on small plots with small families. No more than 4 people (plenty good enough for a Mon Pop and a couple of kids).
    In the long term you need to spend $100-ish on a graphics card upgrade to enjoy the game nearer to its best.

10. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

What was your last computer?

Also, did this happen when you added Nightlife? Nightlife is a much more intensive user of the computer's ability than TS2 or even TS2+TS2U.

11. pooodle

pooodle New Member

nightlife

no, i dont have nightlife or university downloaded.

on my last computer i had university but since its messed up enough without it right now i didnt want to risk anything..