How Do I Please help: Zipfiles

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Jakethedane, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

Please help: Zipfiles

Ok.
    I know I have posted this before and I have recieved some answers, but I still cant figure it out.
    My problem is, that I have 3 different download icons, on the stuff I found on various sites. They look like this:
    1: a picture of a paper with a blue sims icon on it. It says to open with the Sims Body Shop.
    2: this one is a blue circle with a figure in it. it also tells me to open with the Body shop.
    3: The last one is a winzip file. And once again; body shop.
    Some of the downloads work - I know about meshes, but heres where the logic seems to end. The ones I have mesh for, doesnt work and the ones I dont mesh work! Some zip files work, some dont
    What excactly do I do, with each file, I have put them in the correct folder EAGames/The sims2/downloads.
    Please help me!

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Jake if you double click the files they should automatically open with the correct program. I wish I knew what you were trying to do.

Zip files can be opened by Windows XP as if they are just another folder. Zip files for TS2 generally contains one of two types of file:-

Sims2Pack it needs to be double-clicked. The Sims 2 Installer (its part of the game and is already there!) will pop open a friendly blue panel and ask you if you want to install the custom content. Click yes and it will it almost immediately report it has been installed.

package is a filetype used by the game. Package files should be placed inside the My Docs\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\ folder

Are you having trouble with clothing/genetics or with objects? Generally speaking you most likely need to have the CEP (enables your game to use recolored objects) installed. See http://sims.ambertation.de/ for more info about CEP

Also make sure that you are downloading stuff that is compatible with your game. No use downloading an outfit that is based on a NL costume if you haven't got NL ... :)

3. Jakethedane

Thanks. It worked on the blue circle ones, so thats good. I have a lot of zipfiles on the folder and when I click on them, it asks me where to extract. I say to the folder. Nothing happens. I will try to download that CEP and see what happens

4. Jakethedane

OK I got the Cep now, didnt take long. So now it should work?
    And what do I do with those pesky zipfiles? Open with???

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Do you have Windows XP? If so just double click the zip files to see what is inside them.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

So you don't need WinZip to open zip files if you have XP?!

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ya. XP treats zip archives as folders. You just open them up and either copy 'n paste or drag and drop (it also applies the correct icon to match the file extension so you can see what you have in there. I wish it would also handle RARs as well. Fast puters and large hi-def screens mean it's easier to open two Windows Explorer windows and drag from the zip folder and drop in the destination folder rather than pee about with all that extract to folder path business. Compression utilities are only really needed to create archives ... but then I take after my dad who swore that a screwdriver was just for taking screws out ... the correct tool for inserting a screw is a hammer :p

8. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

you can get a 30 day trial of Netsmartz.zip which also opens .rar files. Sims2FileMaid will install zip and rar files.

9. Chris

Chris New Member

I don't use WinZip, I've been using FilZip for years and its 100% free. It's pretty much identical to WinZip, so it unzips pretty much all archive files (ZIP, RAR etc).

http://www.filzip.com/en/index.html

10. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

I've been using Sims 2 File Maid. It's very quick and easy!

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ooh! Good one Chris. I was using ZipMagic but it seems no longer to be supported and as it no longer wants to play nicely with RAR archives ... slight change of direction ... isn't DSL a complete pain?? Downloads are so fast I keep thinking something must have gone wrong and the download aborted rather than actually finished. :rolleyes:

12. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Ok I'm having such a noobish issue... MyDocuments/EAGames/TheSims2/Downloads doesn't seem to exist on my comp!?! I just bought Nightlife... did that some how make the folders different? All I wanna do is get my custom clothing and what not into that stupid folder which for some reason.. is MIA :p plz help

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Don't panic, dear. Go to the My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/ folder and open it, then click on File >> New >> Folder and name the new folder Downloads. :)

14. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

LOL... Panic is my middle name :p

15. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Mines Louise. :)

16. Lynet

Lynet New Member

:eek: Louise is my first name. WOW! Louise's are so rare. Glad to meet you, Louise in the middle.