How Do I Married Under the Archway

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by gredavin, Jan 19, 2006.

1. gredavin

gredavin New Member

Married Under the Archway

I bought an archway for some of my sims to get married under, but I couldnt click on it to have any interaction with it. Not only that, when we had the ceremony, they didnt switch into wedding clothes. I have since reinstalled the game, so am starting the game over, but I want to do it right this time.

Help?

2. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

You wasn't trying to marry young adults (college students) where you? They can't get married until they graduate.

3. gredavin

gredavin New Member

Nope, just Sims 2 original. Are you actually able to interact with the archway?

4. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Not sure to be honest. Try selecting on the other Sim and selecting Propose, then Marraige, they should go under the arch in their formal wear, and away you go!

5. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Well this is the way I believe it works, has worked for me in the past, use the phone to throw a wedding party. When all the guests arrive have the one with the last name you want the couple to have click on the wedding arch and get married. Everyone will begin to gather and the guests will sit in the chairs you've provided and the bride will join the groom at the arch. They will both swirl around to change into wedding gown/tux and a little movie will play showing them exchanging vows.

If you don't throw a wedding party I don't think the arch will work.

Ruth

6. ASHMEANS r a d

ASHMEANS r a d dance master ?

no no, the arch will work party or no party.
    i've done so in the past for the little private ceremonies.

7. MegRen

MegRen New Member

If you want to get married under the arch, you have to select the arch. If you just select the other sim and click Propose-Marriage, they'll get married right where they are in whatever clothing they're in at the time. Well, that's how it is in my game. And you don't have to through a wedding party to use the arch.

8. gredavin

gredavin New Member

Thanks guys, I shall try that tomorrow when I get a chance to play again ;) Last night I had Cassandra Goth invite over her boyfriend, got them to fight and then break up. My Sim got her pregnant that night hehe.

9. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Here's how to get married: (Warning, sheer volumes of text, but it's all good info, I think!)

Fall in love. I don't think anyone mentioned that one, LOL.

Get engaged.

Move in together. Not sure if this is absolutely necessary, but it's helpful.

Get married. You can just "propose marriage" if you want, no arch needed. I think they take the name of the proposer in that case. I am not sure if they change into formalwear, as I've never actually done it that way.

For a more formal party:

Choose a day when they both have off work, or have one of them use a vacation day or call in sick. Or, use the energizer when they get home from work. Need deprived sims can screw up a wedding.

If you do have an arch have the person whose name you want them to take click on the arch. Do NOT have the other person click on it too. I did that and it screwed up the ceremony.

Same goes for the cake, if you have one. Just have one newlywed click on it, not both.

You can't have a honeymoon unless you have a party that's at least a "not bad," I believe. Maybe it needs to be a "good time," not sure.

Pregnant women can't go on their own honeymoons if they're showing. A private ceremony's probably better in that case, unless you don't mind the other party honeymooning alone. Happened to one of my sims once. I'd be miffed if I were her.

If you have a party an arch is helpful because then the guests know where to sit. Set up chairs for as many guests as you expect, though it's OK if some of them have to stand. If they have a chair they'll change into formal wear. Jordan didn't, and wore jean shorts to her brother's wedding. :rolleyes:

If you really want to be a control freak, choose nice everyday outfits for all the PCs you plan to invite ahead of time. Don't have them change to formal, that doesn't work (I tried ...)

Serve gelatin and have music playing, at the very least, if you have a party. If you have a buffet don't forget to "serve food."

Champagne's a little annoying, because of all the toasts. I generally don't bother with a bartender, or champagne, except at golden anniversary parties.

Oh, and I've learned that for a really awesome wedding party you don't need to pay attention to your guests. Just have your newlyweds act all spoony over each other (slow dancing with lots of smooches works well) and the rest of the guests will have fun, especially if they're already all friends.

Hope this is helpful.

10. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Yeah the "move in" isn't necessary and when you are planning the party you don't have to invite the bride. She'll come along on her own, you just won't be able to control her until after the wedding when she actually moves in.

Thanks for the tip about the party SBW. I had been having the bride and groom socialize with all or most of the guests to get the party score up. I'll have to just do the kissing, slow dancing, etc between the bride and groom next time it would be a lot easier.

Ruthie

11. surprised_by_witches

It works in my game, but remember most of my sims already know each other, as I usually invite my rather large families only.

If the guests don't know each other as well, it might be a good idea to have the bride and groom circulate, in which case having them move in together first is helpful, since you can then control them both.

Oh, and how does that work if the bride to be is already pregnant? Does that cause any problems with having her move in?

12. hannahc78

hannahc78 Sims 2 Rocker

"Champagne's a little annoying, because of all the toasts. I generally don't bother with a bartender, or champagne, except at golden anniversary parties.

Oh, and I've learned that for a really awesome wedding party you don't need to pay attention to your guests. Just have your newlyweds act all spoony over each other (slow dancing with lots of smooches works well) and the rest of the guests will have fun, especially if they're already all friends.

Hope this is helpful.[/quote]"

How do you have anniversary parties?? it sounds really cool.

13. surprised_by_witches

Sims get one anniversary party, the golden anniversary party. They need to be married when they transition to elder. I think both sims need to be elders before you get that party option.

Then, you just choose throw party/anniversary. It's like any other party. I usually spend some time working on all their friendships and then call everyone they know after I choose throw party. I had more than fifteen guests at Lola and Tyson's anniversary party. It was a roof raiser.

Since they only get one big shindig I wanted to make sure it was a good one. ;)