How Do I 1024 x 768 Screen Settings....

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by SimsFreak19, Feb 20, 2006.

1. SimsFreak19

SimsFreak19 New Member

1024 x 768 Screen Settings....

I want to play on that type of screen setting. Though, the problem is, I try to go and change it and the ONLY option of a screen setting is 800 x 600. How do I get to playing on 1024 x 768 screen resolutions?

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If the only resolution which is not greyed out is 800x600, then your computer may not have the specs to allow playing at that high of resolution. What are your computer specs?

3. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

It's highly unlikely that your computer is bad enough not to handle a higher resolution... for me it was as simple as turning down my refresh rate. Right-click your desktop and choose Properties. On the Settings tab, click the Advanced button. The next dialog will vary depending on your video card, but there should be a Monitor tab, and on that tab you can set the refresh rate. I turned mine down to 75 Hz and TS2 will now run at insanely high resolutions. (I turn mine back up to 85 Hz when I get back to the desktop, because on my monitor at least, 75 is so flickery it gives me an instant headache.)

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yes tell us your computer specs SimsFreak. see this thread for a how to find out the system specs we need to know

5. SimsFreak19

SimsFreak19 New Member

1. Processor: Name and speed (MHz/GHz:( Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.80 GHz, ~1.8GHz
    2. System Memory RAM (MB/GB:( 254 MB RAM
    3. Windows Version (98/XP etc.:( XP Home Edition
    4. Free Hard Disk Space: 462 MB
    5. Total Hard Disk Space: 18.6 GB
    6. DirectX Version: 9.0c
    7. Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card) Name & Model Number: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    8. Display Driver Name and Version Number & date: ialmrnt5.dll, Version: 6.14.0010.342, and Date: 10/19/2005 08:59:12
    9. Approximate Total Video Memory: 64.0 MB

6. KatAnubis

Actually, the computer can make a difference. I've helped people with this sort of question because they had even the different refresh rates greyed out (so they couldn't have changed them anyway.)

The first place to start is always with the person's specs. You can't assume that it's not because the computer's specs aren't good enough.

7. KatAnubis

Ouch. With the 82845G/GL, the minimum processor (in terms of Intel products) is a 2.0ghz, preferably a Pentium IV. The Celeron's are lower in ability than a Pentium of the same frequency.

The reason for this is that the Intel graphics cards are not T&L enabled. So, the processor is doing a lot of the work that would normally be done by the graphics card. (That's why you need 2.0ghz instead of 800 mhz.)

Also, if you have only 462 MB free out of a total of 18.2gb of harddrive space, you've got your poor harddrive so stuffed it can barely do its job. It's not a good idea to have less than 25% of your harddrive free. Yours is less than that, so it might even be difficult to run a defrag on your disc. (And if your harddrive is fragmented, which happens if you play games like TS1 even, let alone TS2, it can't work as well.)

So, you're playing your game with rock bottom specs. You can try changing your refresh rates, but it's entirely possible with your specs that you won't get better resolutions anyway. (Rock bottom specs=game will play at rock bottom ability.)