117 Jobs Cut!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Crazy13, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Crazy13

Crazy13 New Member

117 Jobs Cut!!!!!!!

I wonder if 117 jobs that are going to be cut will affect The Sims2 expansion packs? :depressed: Or the release for the sims2??? I just hope it wouldnt :cheeky:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I think the cutting of jobs falls more under the Origin Studios. I don't think EA would dare mess with a team/studio that is most profitable in the entire gaming history.

They may cut a few people who were slacking, but other than that, they dare not cut some of our favorites! Tim, Lucy, Dano, Kitty, Toby, Wren, Will, Darren, Luc and Mike are my favorites :)

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I'm surprised that anyone is even getting excited about this right now. We've known about the closure of the Origin Studios for quite some time, and that if people didn't take a relocation package that they would be let go. Now we know that 117 people were amongst those who decided not to move to Redwood City, California. (Of course, that may also include some of the 10% who were not offered relocation packages.) I'd actually be more interested in how many of the 90% who were offered the relocation package decided *to* go to California.

Perhaps it's that when they announced in the past that Origins was relocating and that the studio was basically being shut down we weren't aware of how many people that affected. But now we know.

This shouldn't affect Maxis at all. *They* don't work for Origins in Texas.

4. Crazy13

Crazy13 New Member

Oh...... Okay im not worried any more! I kind of like Lucy and Luc they best! :cool:

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

It's been a while since the Maxis offices shut down here in Texas, my friend emailed me freaking out about it since one day the offices were there and the next day when he went through that area of town they were all closed down! *I* freaked out because the way he said it I thought Maxis had completely ceased to exist! :eek: Now it seems more like they are consolidating the people working on the projects for/with EA. I heard that some of the people in Texas that didn't move/relocate and lost their jobs went and applied at other game companies in Texas and went on working in the field. So I think it's all working out ok and any impact it might have had on the Sims has already been dealt with. And hey, maybe with all the people in one place they can work FASTER... ;) ;)

6. Crazy13

Crazy13 New Member

Why did they ever leave Texas in the first place? And was Will and the gang all down there or up in Cali? :confused: If they were in Texas "You" are one lucky person! :)

7. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I don't really know why they left, or who was working in the offices here when they shut down. I think most of the well known Maxis people are still safely working on Sims 2 with EA now though. :D

8. Crazy13

Crazy13 New Member

Fae, im glad your online so you can answer all of my questions!!! Yay!!! :D

9. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Maxis wasn't in Texas. Origin Studios was in Texas. EA acquired it the way it acquired Maxis. However, it became less profitable after it was acquired (as opposed to Maxis which has an extremely large fan base). So, when they needed to consolidate, bye-bye Origins.

When Maxis relocated from Walnut Creek (it's home for many years) to Redwood City, people were going nuts thinking that after Sims2 that EA would can Maxis. They were scared that the Maxis staff would be trimmed as it relocated, which fortunately hasn't happened.

Also, they are still hiring for future projects, so I think Maxis is pretty safe. (At least there must be something for the graphic artists to do there. Most of the people who have told me that they were applying for work at EA for Maxis projects have been graphic artists.)

10. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

OK I was confused, I thought the ones that shut down here had been Maxis, sorry! :p I'll have to ask my friend more about it, he's the one there in town where the offices shut down.

11. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Wow thats confusing... I just hope they will always be there for us...