Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Flameangel, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

I dont know anout you guys but i find that making roof's is next to impossible. I find it very hard to get my sims to meet new sims! is there a way you can build a community lot with say a bar and a dance floor. Even though i found sims 2 much better i found you had a bigger variety of places to go in the sims hot date which made it more exciting especially with the large amount of ppl that are at the community lot. In TS2 i barley get 2 ppl other than my own at a community lot at a time! If you know how to make it more exciting please tell me how to make more fun commuity lots. Also everyone is talking about this special delete trick how does that work?

2. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

I'm not quite sure how some of your rant relates to the rest of it. Is this one of those stream of conciousness rants? So I'll address what I think are your points one-by-one.

Sounds like a personal problem to me, soldier.

Have you tried attempting to talk to the passers-by? Usually 2 or 3 sims show up to greet you within a few hours of you moving into the lot, so that's some fresh meat right there. Also, you can hail the people passing by your house if you notice. If your Sim is really desperate to meet new people, maybe he should just set up a bench near the sidewalk and camp out.

The bar and other matters are covered in another thread, "I have a bar!". I devised an early method of putting things that don't normally belong on community lots, but the SimPE people have a new method. I've linked to it in that thread.

The dance floor, on the other hand, is simple: Any room with the wall speakers of the relevant music type installed can be danced in. Period. There's no TS1 flashing lights dance floor, though. Pity, I wanted one so I can make Club Technochocolate.

There are several reasons why this happens. This is generally related to some form of suckage. If you NEVER see more than two non-employees on a community lot, the suckage originates from your computer: TS2 varies the number of allowed visiting Sims based on your computer, and if your computer sucks, the lowest-end setting is a maximum of two visitors. Check this by trying to throw a party: If you can always only invite only two people, this is why. You can override this problem, at your own risk, as you may overload your computer and bring everything to screeching halt, by typing into the Cheat box(CRTL-SHIFT-C), "intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims <#>", where <#> is a number, between your present limit, presumably 2, and some other number, preferrably no greater than 8, although higher numbers are certainly acceptable. Your computer may not be equal to the task, however. Use at your own risk. **** those torpedoes! FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Alternatively, your community lot you made sucks and nobody wants to visit it. Install more fun things like TVs and pools.

I assume you mean the deletion of objects. If you wish to delete objects not normally allowed to be picked up, turn on the cheat window (CRTL-SHIFT-C), and type "move_objects 1". There are several other variations, like moveObjects, etc. They all do the same thing. Once enabled, you can pick up objects not normally selectable, and then delete them by pressing, well, delete. If you delete one of your Sims, he will reappear next to the mailbox in his last saved state if you save and exit the game. If a sim is presently "deleted", nobody in the family can move out until he respawns.

If you just want to delete all your files, on the other hand, the command is "FORMAT C: /S".

3. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

This command won't work if Windows is installed on your C: and you're attempting to perform the command from a windowed DOS-prompt however. A good alternative is booting from a floppy or bootable CD and using the FDISK utility from there ;)

PS: it might be interesting to note that no one besides the user of the aforementioned commands will be responsible if results are not as expected...

4. J. M. Pescado

Well, he *DID* ask for the "delete trick", without being really specific as to what that meant. I guess it's not really much of a trick when you state it so openly, though. It really works better as a trick when you try to con unwary users into doing without them being aware of what will happen.

5. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

So maybe the following would have been a more correct "delete trick": to clean up your PC and shorten the boot sequence extensively, use the "FORMAT C: /S" command? :)
    Still on that same topic, for some users even SHIFT-DELETE in Windows is a "special delete trick"... Unfortunately the Sims are not aware of that, whenever they want to get rid of something, they always go and put it in the trashbin, takes oh so long.

6. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

Im not sure y my com sucks

:eek: how could it e my computer cause i litarlly JUST got a New computer from Dell mobility and the first thing i did was install sims 2 cause i was sooo anxious to start playing! (my last computer got lost it's power suppply or somthing like that) So how can a totally new computer be like bad?
    i do have windows installed i think windows 2000 or somthingi also got some other programs could maaybe this effect the running of the game. I have NO other games installed other than sims 2!!!!

7. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

actually

i got windows XP im not sure if this makes a difference tho....:confused:

8. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you got a new laptop (or even a new desktop computer like the Dell 2400), it might not have adequate specifications to run TS2. Laptops are notorious for being low end in terms of their specs. They are mostly meant for business applications or things like taking notes in school, not for playing high end graphics games. Just because it's new does not mean that it is a gaming computer.

Some people think that TS2 should have similar spec requirements to TS1, but that's not reasonable. TS1 was a 2000 game, TS2 is a 2004 game. An enormous amount of technology has increased in the last 4 years and TS2 has to be able to compete with the other 2004 games. And just to get the kind of game engine and graphics that will be able to work for the basis of a franchise for the next several years you'd have to have a big jump in graphics, which means a jump in the required specs.

9. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

is there anything i can do to make performance better cause if there isnt :dead: i can't afford another COMPLETLY NEW ONE this sucks

10. J. M. Pescado

Nope. You need a new computer. Consider foregoing unnecessary expenses like food, and living off the land for a few months. Computers are cheap.

11. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

im currently at the point in my life where i dont paty for my food, my parents do also even if i did have the money to buy a new com my dad woukdnt let me it would be all you have a perfectly fine computer here don't waste your money on a new one! anyway i found that yesterday i deleted a wholebunch of pictures and movies i made on sims2 that i didnt like and even tho i still only get 2 ppl my sims walkand move more smotthley other than the game pausing for a moment

12. J. M. Pescado

Ah, the trials and tribulations of being 12. Well, find some other expense to cut. There's always an unnecessary expense somewhere.

13. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

According to your profile you were born in 1965, so there are 2 possibilities here:
    A:it's about time that you stand up for yourself (and get yourself that game machine with lotsa memory and a fast GPU)
    OR
    B:you should correct your profile (and keep begging your parents for that pocket money increase)...

14. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

:disappointed: unfortunly i don't get an allowence :( :( so the only way i get money is by doing EXTRA chores and unfortunly i get paid very little for those EXTRA chores......i do get paid a LOT from my report card...if i continue getting straight A's i could save up for it in a year.....:disappointed: this will take a while anyway how do i edit my profile also while on this topic how do you get pictures beside ur name?

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL ... If I wasn't a moderator I would say that 12 was a "right first time" guess. Methinks that flameangel is approx 12yrs old and he/she altered the year of birth by 30 years to escape the the dreaded RU>13? COPPA Macguffin. In doing so they overlooked the obvious pitfall, namely that most 40 year olds can manage to write sentences ... mostly due to a mixture of too much schooling and too much starch in our ... oops I mean their ... underpants. :p

16. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

I did it for that and many other reasons. I can say my age now tho my dad has looked over this site and declared it "safe" hehehe:eek:.

17. BrynHilde

BrynHilde New Member

There are many ways to speed up your computer besides buying a new one. How full is your system tray? If you have 12 or so icons down there, that's a massive amount of your performance leaked.

Other ways to increase performance are turning down/off all the graphics options, although I'm not sure if this will affect your pop limit tho.

Create a family of 8, hire a maid and a gardener and a nanny. See how choppy your performance is after this. If your game is still running fine then you should use that code that JM advised above. If this lags your PC down to unplayable standards, then sorry you'll have to learn to live within your current limits.

Don't waste money on a new PC. Don't ever by a pre-packaged computer again. :bunny:

18. lou_knee

lou_knee New Member

I sympathise. I have a computer with twice as much RAM/speed/etc. as the minimum system requirements recomend and I am still only allowed to invite two people over for parties, tho this does make keeping everybody happy more manageable. Rather than going to community lots to meet people, greet those that walk past your house or purchase a computer (in the sims, not a real one) and chat to people online. Theoreticaly after you have met someone online you can call them up an invite them over to make real friends. :D

19. J. M. Pescado

Well, if you think your computer's equal to the task, you can override:
    intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 8
    If you feel 8 may be asking too much, try a smaller number like 4 or 6. In all likelyhood, your computer will be able to handle slightly exceeding this number, assuming you don't already have a very large family in a large, cluttered house, but when you override the limits, you're obviously doing so at your own risk. Still, you are smarter than the computer....right?