A gameplay deficiency.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by gnokgnoh, Oct 31, 2004.

1. gnokgnoh

gnokgnoh New Member

A gameplay deficiency.

So far, I have played this game for 4 days. Perhaps, a total hour of 14. I find a great great pity in the game.:(

Haven't you noticed that after a sim has gone to work, the game fast-forwards without transit player to where the sim work (i.e. the sim's workplace). Now this, is a great drawback of the game. It withdraws if I may say, a substantial amount of gameplay experience and fun from the game.

Let's say, a sim has taken up a job as a criminal. So he would go around town to picketpock people to make more money rather than a fixed amount. That way, the sim can earn much more and much faster.

I suggest the game define a good list of professions. Then let players get into each profession and play it accordingly. Would it come as a patch, or an expansion pack? I really love to see this additional feature.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I was tempted to think of your post as a rant ... ;) However your wording is so polite I have some points to offer back concerning your ideas.

Have you thought about how much extra material would be needed for Sims to be going to work? Suppose Maxis kept it very simple and had only offered us a choice of 5 career tracks each of which has 5 promotion (6 levels). 5 sixes are 30. That's 30 neighborhoods to create all with lots of NPC's and that's without considering the career paths and levels of teens and elders.

Even if you considered that ... did you reckon up how many more discs would the game have needed to provide all the extra objects? (Bearing in mind that the game shipped on 4 discs as it is! :p ) Then, too, what about the potential for the accumulation of game errors and bugs as more and more complexity is piled in. Finally, after all of that I don't see much potential for playing the "Sims at work" ... if they can socialize at work/school (and IRL most of us do ;) ) the question would arise as to why Sim employers pay people to clown around having fun. In short, in all practical senses, going to work (or school) with our sims would be as interesting (after the first time) as watching them carve gnomes (or do homework).

Even so, maybe it will come in an EP ... and I guess that if it dis I'd still buy it anyway! LOL

3. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

I don't think it'll EVER be feasible to do "The Sims At Work". What probably MIGHT happen is that the options for garage industry will improve. For this, however, we first need a garage. At the moment, there isn't even a proper garage door, let alone cars for your garage. Then again, maybe we don't need cars for this, since we'd be putting all of our industrial equipment there, and not cars....

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

ah yes ... how I have dreamed of laying out a neighborhood with residential, commercial and industrial zone. I can just see all those big 5 by 5 lots filled with grimy sheds knocking out chocolates and preserves and gnomes and maybe even plastic llamas ... :p

What is it with Will Wrights lifelong fixation with the new world version of the goat anyway? (So pleased to see that splines are still being reticulated tho ...)

5. Rowanstaff

Rowanstaff Kilted Freak!

Sims at work

Actually following your character to work is one of the selling points of the Urbz. However, that takes place almost exclusively in prefab urban neighborhoods. From what i've read it's not going to be easy (if at all possible) to craft custom neighborhoods / workplaces.

Anyhoo, the Sims is and has always been about the family, the home, and the neighborhood. Think of it this way: your Sim may go to work, but in the city, a place the Sims doesn't care about. If you have Sim City just assume your Sim is one of those Crime pixels on the map :)

6. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Interesting Consept.

An expansion pack to play the sims at work..Hmmmm
    I beleive that would be a programing nightmare...
    and besides..while the sims are at work is when i usualy remodel there houses
    If i had to follow them to work i could no longer tear down walls and sell all of there worldly possesions while they were gone...So they can come home and be shocked and rocked....Ha Ha Ha

7. gnokgnoh

gnokgnoh New Member

Forgive my opinions which might have offended some of you, for that I apologize. I base my opinions on another game "Europa 1400: The Guilds".

Just as you are mentioning SimCity 4, does The Sims 2 integrates with SimCity 4? I heard that it does.

Also, the EA Games folder is of size as much as 323MB. Where exactly is my saved game? Is it a collection of files or it is simply just a single file? I want to back it up on CD. When I continue the game the next day, I just put the files back on to my hard drive.

8. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

One of the drawbacks of console games as opposed to PC games is that you can't customize as much.

Many people have said that they think following your Sim to work would be fun. However, an even greater number of people (including the game developers) all say that they think that it would be boring to do this day after day.

I personally think that they should have a choice to follow to work or to let it work like it does now. That would allow those who want to see the workplace to do so, yet those who found it boring wouldn't have to do it or would only do it when they felt like it.

9. darkstormyeve

darkstormyeve New Member

If you read the guide book to the sims2, they actually say that playing a sim who lives on their own is very difficult and not really done. When my sim goes to work I normally have another who stays home and I play with them while my sim is at work and ignore them when she gets home.

10. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

That's a great game also, but it's very different: The Sims is about the actual little people, Europa 1400 is about work and politics. There's little or no actual involvement with the people, everything about the people is really about work and politics. They're totally different and unrelated games.

That's not really the case: While you can make a neighborhood in TS2 out of a small SC4 map, the two don't really interoperate. SC4 can be used as a map editor for TS2, but they're otherwise totally unrelated and seperate games.

You're going to waste a lot of CDs. Besides, 323MB is too still small for a CD. Your saved games, however, are a vast collection of files, and depending on what you did, you may need more parts of that EAGAME~1\THESIM~1 folder. As a safe bet, if you copy that entire folder, you will have everything. However, you can probably prune it down to about 20MB or so if you drop the extraneous files you probably don't need. See this thread here:
    http://forums.worldsims.org/showthread.php?t=3455

Yeah, but if you read the strategy guide, you'd also realize it's a load of crock, full of complete and utter misinformation, outright lies, and propaganda.

That's one way of doing things. If there wasn't a Sim stuck at home at the time, though, you could just mash "3" and the show would go on.

11. cassandra365

cassandra365 New Member

If you'd like to control a Sim doing their job, try the console Sim game called "The Urbs." You have to control 2-4 of their needs as well as perform a task directly for them to get paid. Some of the jobs include firecracker manufacturing, welder, making body piercings, and fashion model.

12. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I play sims who live alone all the time without much difficulty. Sometimes it's boring, but not hard. It's the easiest way to play, actually, especially with NL. Only one set of needs to attend to, and it's not like they sit home alone pining. They can have friends over when they want to, and be alone when they want to.

For those of us with real life chaos, this is a nice fantasy to have. :D

And BTW, isn't the next EP going to be Sims at work? We'll get to start our own businesses, etc., so that should help round out the game still more.

After that, maybe we'll get Sims Family, which I've talked about before ... lots of new things to do with the kiddies. They kind of get gypped right now. Or maybe it will be Sims Outdoors, so they can go camping, grow their own veggies, birdwatch, maybe meet a bear?

OK, just dreaming now. :D

13. ijRoberts

ijRoberts New Member

Wow, this post is almost a year old. How do people find these things? =)

Funny now, that the next expansion pack is going to be about going into business with your Sims, when all along 50% of the community thought that would be really boring.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to like it, but I'll buy it anyway for the new objects.

What do the rest of your Sims do while you're off to work with one of them? What if the other Sims have businesses too? How is time going to work after this expansion?

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I think the 50% who thought following sims to work would be boring were not against the notion of a business EP. The next EP will allow sims to start up a business at home and thereby attract in customers ... ie fleece the pants off all those passers by. I'm thinking Lemonade Tycoon a la sims; maybe we'll be get to run market gardens and (please please please) restaurants. I really wanna run a restaurant and employ the most hideous NPC's as dishwashers and busboys :devious:

15. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

LOL mirelly, I knew there had to be a reason for some of those npcs

16. ijRoberts

ijRoberts New Member

You think these businesses will be just available at home? From what I gathered from the surveys, it sounded like you would be able to open up a restaraunt somewhere in the neighborhood (or now, possibly downtown) and run it outside the home.

But so little is known about the new EP that I guess we'll just have to wait for more details.

At-home shops would be a lot of fun too!

17. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Ohhhh. Thanks IJRoberts. I thought I was going crazy. I just replied because someone else did it first, and I'm sociable. :p