Troubleshooting A horrible graphic glitch... :c

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by twisted-rainbows, Nov 24, 2009.

1. twisted-rainbows

twisted-rainbows New Member

A horrible graphic glitch... :c

I've had this problem for Sims 2 as well as, now, Sims 3. My Sims are totally incomprehensible because the game is so screwed up. I can't even start playing the game. I have GeForce 6200 and meet all the requirements established. Please help!

See attached image.

Attached Files:

2. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Does your computer do this to any other games? Post a dxdiag and check what temperature your CPU/GPU is running at with a program like Speedfan.

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

The 6200 is not a gaming card !
    It's more set up for business type applications and workstation use.

4. twisted-rainbows

Yes, it did it for Sims 2 previously, but not for any other games other than the Sims PC games. SimCity is working fine, as well as a couple of other small games I tested out.

Well, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 is included in the supported video cards and has all the requirements of the game, so I don't see how it shouldn't work. :/ My computer is probably too old to run newer versions.

DxDiag is enclosed.

Since installation, my computer has also been crashing frequently, coming up with The Blue Screen.

Attached Files:

5. swmeek

It should play the game but it is getting to be rather outdated.
    It is still a knockoff of the much much better 6800 chip series but even that is getting outdated any more.
    With Nvidia cards you need to note that the better gaming cards all end in 600,800 or 900 .(for example 6600,6800,7600, 7800,7900. 8600, 8800, etc)
    If you're running loads of expansions and/or custom content then all that will probably kill the game as the card can not keep up with all the stuff thrown at it.
    That series of graphic driver has been causing issues with the Sims games so you might go over to Nvidia's website and download a slightly older driver like the 189 or 190 series drivers.

6. twisted-rainbows

I don't have any expansion packs, and I deleted all my custom content. The game isn't lagging at all, so speed isn't the problem. Only the graphics are.

Thanks, I tried installing the 190 series driver, but it slightly lessoned the problem. Now my Sims are actually distinguishable, but now only their heads and faces are distorted.

I can't seem to find a download link for the 189 series driver.

7. swmeek

8. twisted-rainbows

I've tried 189 and 190, and they haven't worked at all. I've tried a variety of other different ones, but they all yielded the same result. I'd rather not go through all the drivers to test them out, are there any other options? :/

Would buying a new motherboard or anything help?

9. Flameback777

A new computer most likely. Did you check what temperature your system was running at?

10. twisted-rainbows

I don't know what temperature I am specifically looking for so these are all of them:

GPU: 52C
    Temp1: 44C
    Temp2: 36C
    Temp3: 37C
    HD0: 50C
    HD1: 47C
    Core: 52C
    Ambient: 0C

11. Flameback777

Start Speedfan, then start TS3, play it for a little while, then press the Alt and Tab keys to jump back to the desktop, what are the temperatures then?

12. twisted-rainbows

After playing for about an hour, the temperatures are:

GPU: 54C
    Temp1: 44C
    Temp2: 37C
    Temp3: 36C
    HD0: 48C
    HD1: 47C
    Core: 52C
    Ambient: 0C

Not much has changed.

13. Flameback777

Yep, those temps are all fine.
    Try playing around with the graphic options ingame to see if they can change anything, all the quality levels and AA.

14. twisted-rainbows

I've tried doing that before, but nothing seems to make any difference.

15. swmeek

I would say with the age of the card it's probably starting to go bad.
    Like Flamey says though a new computer would be your better bet.
    Finding a card or a card that fits whatever slot yours does plus still falls within the wattage that the power supply puts out may be rather fun to do .
    First off you'd need to know what expansion slot the card uses (it's going to be either pci or agp) and then finding out what the wattage output of the power supply is too.
    If your computer still has a support page you can access or documentation you can look through or you know someone who can look at the innards of the computer and know what they're doing without bleeding your wallet dry for the amount of work involved try those .
    If not I'd start considering a newer computer.