A medieval dorm conversion

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Mirelly, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

A medieval dorm conversion

Cos I hate brand new buildings that look as though they were specially designed for the purpose I have spent the last few days messing around with this project. It is supposed to be an old chapel/monastery that has been taken over and converted into a dorm. (We tend to have a lot of conversions in Europe ... we don't bulldoze and start over too much). Anyway my brief was to make as non-demoninational chapel as possible and then add a "modern" residential block as part of the conversion. I also threw in a pool and hid a fountain on one of the turrets.

The story is that the monastery was founded by a bunch of sim-geeks way back in the last millenium to study the theory that they are being watched all the time ... but their theories were discredited by Mortimer Goth just before his wife disappeared .... :confused:

Anyway. This dorm has no custom content or hacks. It has 8 ensuite rooms (4 on an upper floor). There is stairway access to the top of one of the turrets where the wacky ancient sims carried out out their arcane observations ....

(Oops deleted - I will replace it when I am certain it is hack free :eek: )

2. Farkwind

Farkwind New Member

Intresting lol

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Sounds like fun! Former SimMasterBraveheart is doing something like this in real life (converting a medieval chapel to be her home.)

4. packerbacker

packerbacker New Member

"Sorry. Error Occured" I CANT SEE IT!!!!! AHHHH!!! And it sounds so good too!!!

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Unlike the old Sims1 site, the Sims2 site cannot keep the uploads up forever. They just take up too much space on the already burgeoning servers. (The BBS alone has more than 10 times as many people active on any single day than the old BBS. They had to give us SimMasters new tools so that we could work it, since it's no longer possible to read all the messages that are produced.) Since lots and Sims are so much bigger than they were with TS1, this happens more quickly for uploaded content than for messages on the BBS.

If you look at the date when this thread was active, it was from last May. No matter how much we liked Mirelly's "dorm conversion," unless it has continued activity (ie downloads) as well as a high enough rating, it will eventually become archived (ie removed from being downloadable.) And unfortunately, archived things are not available for even being viewed, let alone downloaded.

6. cheeseygrin

cheeseygrin New Member

awwww i was looking forward to this one! is it possible to reupload it? :rolleyes:

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hmmm. I have lost it, unfortunately. However I am moved by your plea and (bearing in mind that I think it will look really cool in my Euro-style campus) I will set about creating a new and hopefully much better one ... stay tuned ....

8. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Mirelly, someone purged the asset from the main site.... could you try uploading it again?

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

St Willhelmina's

HACK FREE - ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE - TRIED & TESTED :D

St Willhelmina's has been remade!

Features and Requirements
    • Guaranteed Hack Free
    • Requires University & Nightlife
    • Very Large Lot so needs PC with lots of RAM and a decent graphics card with plenty (at least 128MB+) video memory
    • Lot consists of 2 buildings: the old chapel and the old school-house
      • Chapel consists of:
        • Refectory
        • Junior Common Room (JCR)
        • Library and computer roon
      • School House consists of:
        • 8 Study bedrooms arranged around
        • A Communal area for entertaining guests plus
        • Male and Female bathroom facilities
        • Below the residental accomodation is a large area suitable for conversion to garaging for 2/3 cars - would require the use of theboolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled false cheat to allow the appropriate building tools to be enabled for driveway and garage door placement. (Use boolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled true to restore normal controls after editing the lot)
      • Outside:
        • One chapel tower has been refurbished with safe new stairs giving access to the roof-top astronomical observatory where the ancient monks first deduced the existence of cheese
        • The other chapel tower has no apparent means of access. It is topped off with a mysterious fountain. Modern scholars speculate that it may be possible to meditate oneself to the top ...
        • There is also a odd shaped swimming pool that gives a clue to the unsettling large number of numerological oddities in this fascinating structure.
        • The graves that have been left are guaranteed to be ghost free. If you must have ghosts then you'll have to kill off your own sims :rolleyes: (The absence of ghosts is deliberate as it means you will not corrupt your game by importing ghosts with memories that will screw up your game creating the renowned BFBVFS
    I Will post some pics in a day or so, but at 2.8MB it's not a big download. Try it out. Even if you don't wanna play it, it looks pretty cool in your campus as scenery for neighboring buildings ;)

Attached Files:

10. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Your dorm looks stunning! If only I had Nightlife so I could use it!! Still, I did download it and hopefully will be able to use it someday...

QUICK QUESTION:
    How do you change a property int a dorm? I created a lovely dorm (Ravenswood Hall) for La Tour, and then did the "Ctrl-Shift-C" thing, and typed in:

changelot-zoning dorm

Am I keying in the correct command? This did not seem to work as the property is still a REALLY expensive rental!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Thanks. It's changelotzoning + dorm/community/residential (there are more for secret socs and greeks but I forget the exact words used)

Incidentally I made my dorm with some great stained glass from ModTheSims.com but I left that out to avoid making a download with custom content. If a player wants custom content I figure it is best to let him or her get their own.