Spore A message from Lucy about Online Accounts with Spore

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by Judhudson, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

A message from Lucy about Online Accounts with Spore

Lucy Bradshaw, Spore producer posted the following at the official Spore Forums on the subject of online accounts with Spore:

Spore Players,

I want to apologize for the confusion surrounding access to the online features of Spore. Most of the confusion is stemming from our own mistake in the game manual that states that you can have multiple Spore accounts for each installation of the game. This is incorrect. The information that appears on the box is correct; only one unique Spore account and Screen Name/Persona can be created with each copy of the product. We will correct this information in future iterations of the manual.

I have noted that there are a few other misunderstandings that I hope to clarify here:

• To access Spore’s online features, you will need to register online and create a Spore Screen Name/Persona.
    • If you already have an EA.com account, you will only need to Login using that account information and create a Spore Screen Name/Persona.
    • Only one Spore Screen Name/Person can be created with a single copy of the game.
    • You can play Spore offline, for this reason we have included the ability to play while not logged in.
    • If you have installed your copy of Spore on multiple computers, your single account can be actively logged in up to 3 times simultaneously.
    • Once you have a Spore account, you can log in with that account on any computer that has an install of any legitimate copy of Spore. On a single install it is possible for multiple users to switch back and forth between unique online Spore accounts. For this reason we have included a Log Out button in the Online Settings options labeled, Disconnect from Spore or change users. The different accounts will be playing in the same Galaxy, and will, therefore, share the same data folders.
    Again, I apologize for the confusion and the mistaken information.

Lucy

Lucy, you can do all the apologizing in the world, but the hell isn’t going to stop until the problem is actually fixed.* In the Creature Creator, you were allowed to create multiple accounts for family members to share their own creatures seperate from yours.* But with Spore, this isn’t the case.* 1 person can play and that is it.

The fact that you designed this game to be family friendly, you completely took the whole concept and screwed it up.* The way you have the game (one account and 3 limited activations) basically tells us that you and your team are giving the players the middle finger!* Enough playing the devils advocate and FIX THE PROBLEM!

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Amen Brother! Kinda get this cold shoulder effect anymore from Ea Games!

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Lucy:

This is one time where sticking your head in the sand is gonna create massive backlash against good will with Maxis. EA's already in a tight spot with gamers already with SecuROM and it's 3 activation policy. Continue on this course of action, and gamers will simply seek recourse by other means of ensuring their gaming means are met, even if it means going by alternate means of achieving and playing it, and some of these alternate means will likely be through more "inappropriate" methods of acquiring the game.

If this continues, Maxis will be known as EAxis from now on. Simply put, get off the high horse. The high altitude isn't doing wonders for Maxis.

4. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

When companies stop showing loyalty and consideration to their paying customers, don't expect those paying customers to keep 'buying' from you. They either take their 'business' elsewhere to other companies, or they acquire the products via 'alternative' means, or they even find new 'hobbies' and stop 'needing' your products. Pretty simple concept to me.

When EA refused to listen to their loyal fans/ long term paying customers about SecuROM with Sims 2 (and with Spore), they basically showed us the finger. That's fine - I had been a paying customer for over a decade, but no more. I haven't bought a game in over a year now. I know a lot of others in the Sims/Spore community have done the same; sadly this hasn't yet made the desired impact but I've no doubt that in time, it will. :)

EA/Maxis - you FAIL.