Troubleshooting Absolute Worst Problem Ever

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Flipping Mackerel, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Flipping Mackerel

Flipping Mackerel New Member

Absolute Worst Problem Ever

Hello, fellow Sims 2 players.
    Now, my problem is ridiculous. My copy does not work on my computer whatsoever. Here are the specifications:

1. The problem is this: that when I run the program, it gives the Send/Don't Send message and terminates.
    Pictures:
    http://www.geocities.com/flimmor/s2-1.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/flimmor/s2-2.jpg

2. It works perfectly on another computer, which we'll call Comp2.

3. What I've tried:
    a - Installed with CDs and ran program.
    b - Installed with CDs and installed patch and ran program.
    c - Installed with images made on Comp2 with Nero and ran program.
    d - Installed with images made on Comp2 with Nero and installed patch and ran program.
    e - Installed with images made on Comp2 with CloneCD and ran program.
    f - Installed with images made on Comp2 with CloneCD and installed patch and ran program.
    g - Copied folder directly from Comp2 and ran program.
    h - Copied folder directly from Comp2 with patch installed and ran program.
    None of these worked whatsoever.

Please help me
    . Thanks in advance!

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Uninstall Nero/CloneCD. It might be an outdated version so copyright security might be getting tripped.
    Try running Sims 2 :)

3. Flipping Mackerel

Aww crap

Well, thanks for the advice, but unfortunately even after uninstalling those and Sims 2 and reinstalling Sims 2 (with the CDs), it still does not work. Any more advice or am I lost?

4. Flipping Mackerel

Here's a quick bit copied out from the error report with parts in it I of course don't understand. Anything in here that could help?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
    <DATABASE>
    <EXE NAME="Sims2.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="ijl15.dll" SIZE="352256" CHECKSUM="0x5CC5195" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.51.12.44" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.51.12.44" PRODUCT_VERSION="1,51,12,44" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Intel JPEG Library - Retail Version" COMPANY_NAME="Intel Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Intel JPEG Library" FILE_VERSION="1,51,12,44" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="ijl15.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="ijl15" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright Intel Corporation 1998 - 2001" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x5C30D" LINKER_VERSION="0x40000" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.51.12.44" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.51.12.44" LINK_DATE="05/30/2001 21:37:47" UPTO_LINK_DATE="05/30/2001 21:37:47" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="Sims2.exe" SIZE="15204975" CHECKSUM="0x81F85829" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.0.1022" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.0.1022" PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.0.1022" FILE_DESCRIPTION="The Sims 2" COMPANY_NAME="Maxis, a division of Electronic Arts Inc." PRODUCT_NAME="The Sims 2" FILE_VERSION="1.0.0.1022" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="Sims2.exe" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright 2004 Electronic Arts Inc." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.0.1022" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.0.1022" LINK_DATE="09/28/2005 05:37:28" UPTO_LINK_DATE="09/28/2005 05:37:28" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
    </EXE>
    <EXE NAME="~df394b.tmp" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="~df394b.tmp" SIZE="791068" CHECKSUM="0xD527B7F1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="07/12/2004 11:57:20" UPTO_LINK_DATE="07/12/2004 11:57:20" />
    </EXE>
    <EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="984064" CHECKSUM="0xF12E1D4A" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2945" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2945" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2945" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft Windows Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2945 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.060704-2349)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT=" Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xF724D" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2945" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2945" LINK_DATE="07/05/2006 10:55:00" UPTO_LINK_DATE="07/05/2006 10:55:00" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
    </EXE>
    </DATABASE>

5. ManagerJosh

Darn it! It's one of those errror's we've come across before, but the people who did manage to fix it took the solution to their graves.

*mutters and does more research*

6. Flipping Mackerel

Aw, man...
    Time to do some corpse-diggin'...
    Well, thanks for your efforts so far, Manager Josh! Note that this game worked on this computer, too, about a year ago, but upon uninstalling and reinstalling it now a year later the error arrives.

7. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

did you do a complete uninstall... sometimes those pesky little bits that get left behind mess up the install?

8. Flipping Mackerel

In light of your suggestion, Michelle, I'm uninstalling it and completely destroying the folder and now reinstalling it again.
    By the by, if it helps, when I install it, it asks me a weird message: "The Sims 2 will install an additional 324 MB of data on drive C:. Proceed with install?" Now, I wonder, why would it ask something like that, and where is it getting that number from? The installed program is clearly 2.8 gigabytes. Unless it automatically downloads the patch, or something, only no patch of this is 324 MB.

9. ManagerJosh

Did you remember to empty your recycle bin? :D

10. Flipping Mackerel

Because I can't be sure to what degree you're joking :), and also because I'm fairly desperately craving to play this (I'm not allowed on Comp2 much), I've taken the liberty of re-uninstalling it yet again, deleting the folder, emptying recycle bin, and reinstalling it, to a different directory. Considering it hasn't changed nothin', I guess that's one more way we can count won't solve anything.

11. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

12. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you have the game already installed, then the amount of data which it needs to install an EP or stuff pack is only the 324mb extra. The disc itself has more info, but it's because it replaces some of the data which is already there it doesn't include that with what it will *add* to the total.

No patches are automatically installed other than those which are an integral part of the game. For instance, if you have OFB, it has the info from the previous games' patches but you'd still need to get the newest OFB patch.

When it tells you that number, it just wants to let you know that you need to have that much more disc space (not counting leaving enough of your drive free so that you can do things like disc defragmentation.)

Speaking of which, did you do a disc cleanup and disc defrag before you installed your game? Those often are forgotten but can be important if your computer is having trouble finding things or when things are in the way.

13. Flipping Mackerel

Thanks for that list of helpful questions. It didn't have my specific problem answered, though :cry:

Anyhow, I'm going to do what Anubis said and try a full defragmentation after uninstalling it (but first, of course, I might as well clean up my drive).

14. Flipping Mackerel

SWEEEEEEET!
    (If you don't mind the largeness of the letters.)
    I defragmented and reinstalled despairingly, and then ran the game. Intriguingly, I got a message unlike the usual "Must terminate". It told me to disable my emulation software.. seeing this as hopeful, I of course uninstalled CloneCD again (which I had reinstalled since that post). Then I ran the program, and went upstairs to get a sandwich... and behind me I hear, "Challenge Everything!"
    So, yup, it works. I'm playing it now and hearing its music strangely playing while it's minimized. Good thing, too; I was getting too good at Grow Your Sims ;)
    Thanks all for your help. What a relief...

15. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

So glad it finally worked for you!

My music plays while my game is minimized too, if I'm in the neigbhorhood or main menu view. So far it hasn't impeded game play. ;)

Whew. Now back to your regularly scheduled simming.

16. Flipping Mackerel

Curses; it's broken again.

17. Flipping Mackerel

Forgotten?

(bump)

Seems no one noticed my above post...

18. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I did, but I can't help you. Can you be more specific? Are you having the same problem?

19. Flipping Mackerel

Sorry, sorry.
    Yes, I am, exactly as described previously.
    Since then I have tried, as according to various websites:

1. Uninstalling XP Service Pack 2; failed.
    2. Reinstalling XP Service Pack 2; failed.
    3. Making sure I have every download from windowsupdate.com; failed.
    4. Downloaded latest ATI Radeon 9600 driver; uninstalled Catalyst; reinstalled Catalyst and driver; failed.

With of course Sims 2 uninstalled and reinstalled between each one.

If there is no solution whatsoever, I could play it occasionally on Comp2, but I'd really like to be able to play frequently enough that I can actually remember making the families that exist when I enter it...