Troubleshooting Amd Athlon 64 Warrenty

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Ub3rshade, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

Amd Athlon 64 Warrenty

Now, when I bought my AMD Athlon 3500+ 939-pin, I figured I was pretty well off when it didn't come with the thermal compound *retail box*, and I wasn't going to use the heatsink anyways. The thing is, am I going to void the warrenty by using Arctic Silver 5, as well as a Zalmantech Heat cooler? *The 7000B model with LED lights*. I've looked over the website and I haven't found anything about it, but I'm calling tech support on Monday-Tuesday to make sure.

2. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

I'm pretty sure using thermal compound and a heatsink does not void your warrantee. Even if there was the slightest risk of it doing so, it would be supremely unwise to actually say anything. If you're never on record as having called them about this, and your CPU breaks, they won't know *WHAT* you used. My advice is to remember that loose lips sink ships.

3. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Yes, it voids the warranty:

Using thermal paste also voids warranty. AMD checks the processor for any evidence of thermal paste being used. Although you might want to call anyway just to make sure.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Actually they provide you with a list of thermal pastes you can use. I know that AMD certified certain thermal pastes which you can use. I attended a seminar recently designing media center pcs and we used thermal paste, and this was under the supervision of AMD personnel as well.

Personally I'd use the Zalman thermalpaste provided as it is pretty good.

5. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

Yeah, I guess so, though I'm kinda afraid that if I /do/ use the arctic silver and the zalman cooler, that if the CPU is already defective before I did anything, I just killed my chance of returning. Should I just have little practice run with the current heatsink *buy an apporved* thermal paste, give it a month or 2, and if it works, load up the new one?

6. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Just run it with the stock heatsink and thermal compound for a couple days or weeks. Then switch to the new heatsink/paste and start OC'ing ;)