Troubleshooting ANOTHER Video Card post!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by EwanGirl5, Jul 17, 2004.

1. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

2. HOCKEYISMYLIFE

HOCKEYISMYLIFE New Member

I have the Asylum Geforce FX 5200 and it's a great graphic card!:)

3. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

5. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

How can I tell whether it has a PCI or an AGP slot? The guy at the store said something about... "Well, if you have a brown thingy it's... But if you have a white thingy you have a... And those are worse"

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

The brown slot is an AGP, the white slots are PCI. All computers have PCI slots but some don't have an AGP.

7. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

I think I'm getting the Xtasy 9200 Video Card, 8x AGP, 256MB DDR card since I'm almost positive my computer has an AGP port... I just want to get a video card and be done with it! This is giving me such a headache!

8. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

don't get stressed EwanGirl5, Just take your time!

9. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

Woot!

Awesome! I just got my card! It's a GeForce 5200 and it works great, it was also really easy to install myself (I'm glad I didn't have the store put it in, it would've taken too long) I'm playing Silent Hill 3 right now and it looks awesome! I have it at some of the highest settings and there is no lag or jerky movements! (I'm only saying this because it has some of the same requirements as the Sims 2.

Well, anyways, thanks for the help! :D

10. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

Wait a sec... is that a GeForce 5?!?! I heard they had something like that out on TechTV... I have a nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX Integrated GPU with approx. 64.0 MB of memory.

11. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

The 5200 is a Geforce *FX*5200. It's actually a rather mediocre card. (Unfortunately, all the PCI cards are. But the Radeon 9200 and the FX5200 are at the top of the PCI ability, even though they are mediocre.)

However, although it will run TS2 fine, if you don't have to buy the FX5200, don't. It has some problems and one of them is that their drivers sometimes screw up SimCity4. (The older drivers are better than the second to the last one and the last one that just came out didn't totally correct the problems.)

The most current Geforce card is the 6800, by the way. :winks:

12. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

It's an AGP card. Not a PCI card. And for $90 it's a good card. If I had more money I would get a better card.

13. KatAnubis

The FX5200 comes in both AGP and PCI. Either way they are rather mediocre cards. But sometimes that's the best we can afford and I can see that.

14. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

The only reason I replied and posted what card I had bought is because I wanted to give the topic a... proper ending. But I hope you know that I already bought the card (as I said) and it is very rude to point out how 'mediocre' it is.

15. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I don't think it is rude to point out if a card is "mediocre" or not, when it is a fact. When saying a cutting edge is just mediocre, then it can be viewed upon as possibly rude.

16. KatAnubis

Sorry, to offend you. That was not my intention. My intention was to reassure you that it would work, but to warn you that it wasn't the best card around so that you wouldn't recommend it to others (unless they had no choice, such as if they only had PCI slots.)

17. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I got a Radeon 9600Pro 256 MB Video card in my new computer. And I got it for something like $175 CDN.

18. KatAnubis

Lucky you!. That's a good card. I wish I had an AGP slot so that I could have one too. ;)