Troubleshooting Application had proplems, click ok to terminate

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Actaviosan, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

Application had proplems, click ok to terminate

hello
    i love the sims 2 so PLEASE HELP me
    i installed the sims 2 and the sims 2 university
    when i Play university and i go to the neighbourhood i go to the houses of students, when i play like 3 minutes in student's houses the game crashes, it says: Application has crashed, click ok to terminate
    or something like that, please help ::)confused:

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

The usual things to look for when having problems of this sort are:
    Did you close all the background activities on your computer before starting to play? (Sometimes it gives you the warning that it's going to terminate. Sometimes it just crashes to desktop. And sometimes it will crash to the point where the computer reboots. If something starts up while you're playing the game, it interferes with the resources needed by the game.)

Do you have any hacks that may be interfering with your game? (Some of the game hacks don't play well with other game hacks. For example, some of twojeff's hacks can't be used on the same computer as some of JMPescado's hacks. Sometimes the download site mentions "don't use this if you are using X" but sometimes they don't because the problem hasn't yet been reported to them.)

Is your computer up to snuff to handle the size of house that you're playing? (If the computer gets overwhelmed, it can behave like you have too much going on with background tasks.)

Has your computer been defragged recently? (If the game can't find the pieces of information it needs because the drive is fragmented, then it will do things like crash, terminate or reboot. And you can't depend on the "analyze" to tell you if it needs to be defragged, since that is set up to tell if it's too fragged for a business program. Business programs not only don't frag a disc as easily as a game, but they are really insensitive to the fragmentation of the drive. Games, on the other hand, actively use the harddrive information a lot and that makes them far more sensitive to fragmentation, as well as causing fragmentation. From what I've noticed, if you play for more than a couple of hours, then it's a good idea to defrag your computer after you've closed the game for that session. That way it's raring to go when you next want to play.)

There are other things which can cause application termination, crashing to desktop and crash to reboot, but these are the ones I've run into most often.

3. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

first, i turn off EVERYTHING before i play the sims 2 and university, even internet!
    And no I don't have Hacks.
    please try to help :(

4. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

I WANNA ENJOY TOO COME ON WHY EVERYTHING THAT I LOVE I DON'T GET? :mad:

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Have some patience. Not everyone is here all the time.

You mentioned that you don't have anything running in the background and are not using hacks.

However, you still have not listed your complete specs so that we can tell if there is something along that line that is causing problems. Please don't stop reading what I wrote in the first message after then second paragraph. The other two may be your problem.

6. Elo

Elo New Member

Actually, I've had this same bloody problem ever since I did a reformat and reinstall of my computer, for virus related reasons, the time to desktop dump varies any from 3 to 15 minutes with no apparent cause but behaves pretty much exactly as the first poster explained. Not running any mods, hacks or 3rd party tools. I have noted that the game has to be actually running, not in any loading screens. I've reinstalled the game 3 times, it hasn't relieved the problem at all. With recent sound/video drivers, with older drivers and combinations in between. It is the DVD version of the game with a CD version of the expansion pack, didn't see a DVD version.

PC is:
    Windows XP
    Athlon 2600+ XP, running at clock speed.
    1 gb of Ram, Memtest 86 reports no errors after 24 hours testing
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 Card, clock speed - never had a problem with it before
    Sound Blaster Audigy 1, never had a problem
    The game has been installed on both primary and secondary hard drives with the same problem.

Galactic Civilisations, Neverwinter Nights, Half Life 2, Rome Total War and Vampire all run with no problems both before and after the computer was formatted. I've tried reinstalling the game both with and without old savegames, nothing seems to work. About a month ago I just stopped playing after a week of fidgeting around, in this state the game is completely unplayable. AU$150 bucks and 4 months of gametime and mod making down the toilet because the the game won't work, can't help but be more than a little disapointed.

So ah, help.