Troubleshooting asking for help with university and nightlife expansions

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by dragonslime3, Feb 28, 2006.

1. dragonslime3

dragonslime3 New Member

asking for help with university and nightlife expansions

I've just got a new computer recently and tried to instal my sims 2 and university games, the original installed fine but when I tried to install the expanision pack, it got all the way to 100% asked for disc 4 and then it said the update failed and started to uninstall university! I never had this trouble on my other computer, I've checked the system requirements and my new computer is more then capable of handling the game... can anyone help?:confused:

2. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Assuming you have legal copies of the program, I have no idea why that would happen.

You should try installing again, and if it doesn't work I'd return your game and get a replacement one. It's possible you bought one with a faulty disk.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hang on a second. You had The Sims 2 and University installed and working fine on your previous computer but Uni failed to install on the new one?

The most obvious cause for the post installation patching to fail would be that the University installation disc is finding that the main sims.exe has been improperly altered (eg hacked)

If that isn't the case please describe exactly what you did
    after
    installing The Sims 2 on your new computer and
    before installing University

4. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I have the same problem with uni.
    I installed the main game, updated it to the latest patch, and then installed uni. So when it went to update it found it didn't need to be and now it works fine.

5. dragonslime3

dragonslime3 New Member

I installed the Sims 2 and then i try to update it with the patch but when i put in the CD 4 the patch just closed. Then i tryed to see if uni would work and it just said "update failed. Installation will now terminate"

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ah I see. So what condition is your game in now? Can you try just installing TS2 and see if it runs properly after (apparently) installing without reported errors, please. If you get that far and the game runs properly without major errors or crashes please report back the following information before taking further actions.

Open My Computer

Click through to the folder:-

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSBin\

Inside should be a file called Sims2

Right click on that and choose Properties

On the Version tab note down the following information:

File Version: 1.*.*.*** (for example mine shows up as: 1.0.0.999)

Report back with that and let's start there and take this slow but sure.

Also please read this message and post your system specs before replying.

7. dragonslime3

dragonslime3 New Member

Hi thanks everyone for trying to help. i tried disabling my anitvirus and the patch worked and updated my game so now i can play my expansions packs

8. stabsfeldwebel

stabsfeldwebel New Member

I have this exact same problem all games are original. it worked on my old PC not on my new one.

I have tried playing with just SIMS2 (no add ons) it works fine. Try to install a add on (all of them) it does exactly the same thing. Tried downloading the patch off net. When I run this it just crashes. Tried using the update on Add on CD, same thing. It just crashes.

Tried uninstalling, once again the same thing. It is really starting to Piss me off. Cause I have got the new add "open for Business" and I can't even play it....