SimCity 4 Auto-Roads

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by Helén, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

2. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I have downloaded the .exe patch but I have to install it. I usually make a mess of that so it may be sometime before I can write again. It generally involves my *** *** *** computer crashing - I never swear. It has done that three times this morning before it eventually decided to behave itself.

3. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

After installing the patch you do get the option of turning off auto-roads by holding down Shift while zoning, but it still doesnt work properly in my opinion.

4. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

I heard from Lew that there's another patch, a better one. Is that so?
    Sam? How do youi mean ot doesn't work like you want it?

*Is trying to learn as much as possible here*:p

5. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

Its the .exe patch
    it works for me...hold shift to remove auto roads
    hold alt to realign the zone

6. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I downloaded the patch (and to the right directory) but when I went to install it I found that it was an American patch and would not run on my machine.
    When is the U.K. patch going to be released?

7. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Ahh!! That was really interesting to know Philip. I wonder if your CD's have the other language options as well? Because that would mean it is European CD's and the very same we can get here. And if that's the case, that patch wont work for any European player at all. :ermm:

Sageon. You have your game in dutch (or how's it spelled). What about the patch for you?

8. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

Well it doesnt work properly because if i have an area with a 6x6 road grid and i want to zone several blocks with light residential, i have to do it bit by bit, because if i do all the blocks at once there will be sections that dont have street access.

9. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Aha I see. Hmm. Can't help but thinking about my old Simcity2000. I had these large areas but in the middle i had a large park of 3x3 (or some other stufflike pumping stations, trees, small parks), surrounded by residentials, commercials or industrial zoning 3 tiles deep. There were no houses that were bigger than that then. That way they never complained about lack of parks and they had access to streets plus it did brought down the pollutionrate. Landvalue went up too.

Maybe some of this also holds true for SC4?

10. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Yes, my version has various different languages on the disc. Quite a number, although I can't remember what they all are. I was a bit surprised to see that the patch didn't work. No doubt an English version will be issued in due course. I get fed up with the auto-roads that are given out. I find that I usually have to paste my own roads rather than rely upon those freely provided.

11. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Well Philip. Then it's the same as I can get here. And I'm not surprised that the patch doesn't work. Maybe it's done only for the US version of the game? I don't know. Guess we have to wait to get an european patch here. Unless Sageon knows what patch works for european version.

About the autoroads and how to avoid them without a patch - see my link to what Rick says at Alturas. It's a step-by-step zoning that seems to work. Sam does something similar as well.

12. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I can, as a rule, do a block of six squares before an auto-road starts up. So I have to do two strips of three each, especially in the residential area.

13. lewdini

I rather switch off my autoroads

14. Branes

Branes New Member

US Patch not very effective

The U.S. patch doesnt' always work using Shift to control autoroads. As was mentioned before, it sometimes leaves you with zones without road access. I normally use 6 x 4 blocks which should all be touching roads, but the game doesn't seem to standardize blocks. Sometimes they face outward towards the street, othertimes inward where there is no road access. Sometimes they are one zone wide, sometimes 2. This makes laying out zone blocks very difficult. I hope this addressed in the next patch.

15. lewdini

True...its kinda annoying

16. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I don't know if you are still interested, but I have downloaded the UK .exe patch and it works very well. I don't have to have any autoroads if I don't want them - and I don't.
    Apparently it does quite a number of other things, none of which I quite understand.