Troubleshooting Big Problem After Backup

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ohgodmyorgans, May 29, 2007.

1. ohgodmyorgans

ohgodmyorgans New Member

Big Problem After Backup

Just got a new hard drive and when i put all my sims files back in my documents (have done this several times before on other computers) my neighborhood is not listed in the game. i tried making a new neighborhood and seeing if my sims were there in the house box - they werent.
    my files are there in the EA GAMES folder, but my sims and their houses are not in the game.

2. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Do you have any EPs and have you put them all in?

3. ohgodmyorgans

ohgodmyorgans New Member

yes and yes.
    sims 2, nighhtlife, university, and open for business.
    the thing is, they were all already installed and then i copied over my files and the game looked the same. as if i hadent done anything.
    i tried uninstalling OFB and re installing it and uninstalling it and removing the files and reinstalling it and putting the files back and all differnt combinations of the like - Nothing worked.

i do not have the CDs for the other expansions or the ts2.

4. Odinmoon

You can't just copy entire game across to a new drive. Copy protection won't allow it. You probably heve to reinstall from disks.

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ur ... we are missing something, I think. Organs needs to set out a detailed list of what they have done. Please describe each step you took after installing your new hard disc drive. Take your time and tell us every little detail ... especially giving full folder details (original name with path and new name with path ... for example:
    Code:
    old = C:\Documents and Settings\Mirelly\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

new = G:\ohmygodmyorgans\The Sims 2
    I need to know exactly what was moved and where it went to before I can offer an opinion. :rolleyes:

Having said all that, I can however tell you that the above name change would fail to work. The game requires the have a folder called EA Games in My Documents and a folder called The Sims 2 inside EA Games.

If you have a new hard drive you should try moving the whole My Documents folder to the new drive. Do this by

Open My Computer

Right click on the the My Documents folder and choose Properties

On the properties dialog box click the Move button and navigate to the new location.

Go and do something else (eg: paint the house, learn ancient Greek, etc.) cos the move could take a while. It's a Windows thing and sometimes you must let Windows take care of its own business. Shortcuts are not an option.

6. ohgodmyorgans

ohgodmyorgans New Member

I did not copy my game. if i had done that, i would not be able to run the game - just as you said, and i would not be here with the problem of not being able to see the neighborhood.
    i have done this many times the exact same way because i have the game on my laptop and on my desktop and i got a new hard drive for the desktop. ive probably done this about five times over the years.

i got a 250gb IDE drive.
    i put the drive in as cable select on IDE0.
    i plugged in the corresponding psu rail.
    i reinstalled xp professional.
    i installed the sims 2.
    i instaleld the sims 2 university.
    i installed the sims 2 nightlife
    i installed the sims 2 OFB.

i copied my EA GAMES folder from my external back up drive.
    i replaced the EA GAMES folder in C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents with the back up drive copy.
    i ran the game

i do not see my neighborhood.

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

My bad! The only thing occurring to me is were those expansions previously installed in the same order ... can't imagine that explains anything ... just clutching at straws.

9. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Your other neighbourhoods work though, right?

10. ohgodmyorgans

ohgodmyorgans New Member

the sims installation program searches for patches on its own.

my other neighborhoods are working properly.

11. Odinmoon

I didn't deserve a red blotch for trying to help.:mad:
    In future I wont be offering help so easily.

A Little bit of politeness wouldn't go astray. Not once in your post did I see a please or thank you.
    It can take quite a few questions and answers to solve a problem with Programs and computers.

12. ohgodmyorgans

ohgodmyorgans New Member

what are you talking about?

13. ManagerJosh

It does search for patches on its own, but it doesn't hurt to check and try to have them applied.

14. ManagerJosh

Please don't make assumptions about who gave you rep points or not :). Ask an admin to look into it as we can see who gave you the point or didn't. And I can certainly most tell you that ohgodmyorgans did not bring down your rep.

15. Odinmoon

Sorry for not asking Admin.
    However The quote on the blotch was "Sorry didn't help :( ".

Now there were only Four different Posts Mirrelly, Josh, Muffin and me.
    So someone spoke on ohgodmyorgans behalf.
    Either way it saddens me that some one did it.
    If ohmygodmyorgans. Did not do it "I'm sorry."
    However who did. I'm not too sorry. I think that when someone tried to help some one. Then thats great. If someone is being Vexatious, then I think thats bad.
    Maybe i got the wrong one. I can make mistakes. However I only wish good upon my fellow human beings.
    Regards Moon

16. Odinmoon

I apologize ohgodmyorgans.
    I gave your rep back if thats any consolation.:eek:
    And I apologize to Josh and Mirelly for not contacting you on this problem.
    Someone was playing games and I ended up with the pie in the face.
    Thanks to the person for owning up and apologizing to me in a private message.
    And ohgodmyorgans, I hope you get your problem solved. Hopefully someone will have a positive answer.

Regards with foot in my mouth. Moon

17. ohgodmyorgans

ohgodmyorgans New Member

okay, i think that could have been done in a PM, we are totally getting off topic here.

apology accepted.

i just went in to make a new sim to see if any of my other downloads were there. none of my sims or downloaded clothing is there.
    its almost as if i copied the files into the wrong directory - but i didnt.