Troubleshooting Big Red "X"

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by nekomori, Jul 30, 2007.

1. nekomori

nekomori New Member

Big Red "X"

I'm not sure why, but my game won't open. All that comes up is a small window with that X inside the red circle. It doesn't have any text, just the X. I tried taking out all my recently downloaded objects, but when that didn't work I took out all my downloads. That still didn't work. I tried restarting the computer and that didn't work either. I'm not sure what to do now :confused:

[​IMG]

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Can you supply your system dxdiag info: see here for what we need

3. nekomori

nekomori New Member

Uhm, okay o_o;
    There is no way anyone coud use the information badly, is there? No hackers or anything? >.<;

1. Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs)
      2. Memory: 2046MB RAM
      3. Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
      4. Free Hard Disk Space: 9.64 GB
      5. Total Hard Disk Space: 134 GB
      6. DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.oooo.0904)
      7. Display Adapter:NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
      8. Display Driver Name and Version Number & date: 6.14.0010.8268 / 6/16/2006 09:39:00
      9. Approximate Total Video Memory: 512.0 MB
      10. Game Detail: Pets, OFB, Nightlife, University, Family Fun Stuff, Seasons

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Thank you. No your info is useless to hackers.

I am concerned by two items. One is the driver for the display adapter. Download a more up to date version, (click here).

The other is the crowded nature of your hard drive. 10% free space is really the barest minimum for effective Windows Operating System performance. I recommend doing a good clean up and remove all the stuff that doesn't need to be there (games you hardly ever play, music you hardly ever listen to, vids you rarely watch ... you should put all media onto CD-ROMs anyway).

If that doesn't fix things check that the display card is working correctly:
    Run dxdiag again and look on the Display tab for the DirectX Features panel (the lower half of the Display tab) ... all of the DirectX features should be labelled as "Enabled". If so use the buttons to the right to test the DirectX features (Direct Draw & Direct 3D).

If any of them are disabled and cannot be Enabled, try restarting your PC (I know you've done this a dozen times already ... maybe 13th time lucky, huh?) if that doesn't fix it then you may need a computer engineer :(.

Anyway the first stop is to let us know if the DirectX features are enabled and test out OK.

5. nekomori

nekomori New Member

Hmm, I cleaned up what I could get rid of (I share this computer with my brother who puts on games all the time >.<) and now I have like 15 GB. I would asume that would work, but it didn't. The other things you pointed out I was wondering if that would raelly work or not. I was playing the game for a while before this started, and then after I quit and tried to get on about 15 minutes later when I didn't do ANYTHING on it in that time, that's when it died. Could what you pointed out really have affected the game so much to stop working in 15 minutes of nothingness? >.<;
    And the DirectX Features are all enabled and working correctly

And if I must download a new driver for the display adapter, which one do you believe I sould choose out of the selections you've linked?