Black Friday Success, Failure, and Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Black Friday Success, Failure, and Horror Stories

So Black Friday was a week ago! What success, failure, and horror stories do you have from this year's Black Friday? :D

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

I didn't buy a thing! :ducks:

3. I didn't do any shopping this year, but I did pray for people with my youth group in a local shopping mall during Black Friday. :D

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Black Friday shopping is a day when I make sure to stay as far away from anything to do with shopping if at all possible. Those shoppers are crazy!

5. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

I went shopping, but I didn't buy anything. I just love the atmosphere! (don't ask why!) :rolleyes: :)

6. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

I think Black Friday is a waste of time. If it does get the stores to profit and go into the black, then why not hold sales such as that regularly so people will get used to them and not trample someone to death?

Personally I prefer ordering online instead of fighting the crowds.

7. I would have to probably agree. Below is an link to a article about a Wal-Mart worker being trampled to death during Black Friday.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/wal-mart_worker_dies_in_black_friday_trampling/

8. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hayclian, waynelinazn, and myself all went to our local Fry's Electronics near our office. We got there around 2:30AM and there as a line wrapped around the building. People were just gathering casually around the entrance. It was basically a crowd gathering around the entrance of the store.

At 3AM, (and I might add....whichever associated shouted this needs to be shot, and sacked..) a Fry's Associate (aka Fry's employee) shouted at the top of their lungs that "if you weren't against the wall, you were NOT in line."

That set off a mass panic and people in the edges ran for the walls. People in the middle either fought to stay their place, went with the flow to avoid getting crushed, or got carried with the folks at the edge trying to make it to the wall.

Minutes in, there was pushing, shoving, fights breaking out, people smoking in front of your face. Let's not forget the utter discomfort as well. ABSOLUTELY ZERO BODY SPACE. You were crammed in there WORST than sardines. You were literally squeezed to death, and you could suffocate to death.

About an hour later, that same Fry's associate screamed outloud if you weren't in the garden area, you weren't in line. That too sent in more pushing and shoving. My GOD!

Several times myself I was pinned against a wall when people were advancing and I was stuck. I was being crushed to death literally!

Let me say that for two hours, it was the most uncomfortable two hours ever with people pushing and shoving, being squeezed to death, and most certainly I did NOT appreciate being breathed upon by smokers.

I'm not sure how waynelinazn or Hayclian faired during the entire line fiasco, but we got stuffed that we all wanted to get that day.

Let me say it's the worst it has been at Fry's....EVER.

UGH.

9. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

That doesn't sound like fun at all Josh! We didn't go out super early, waited until about 11am.

We got a Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair at Babies R'Us. We were in and out there, it was the only thing we were going for. It was $37 when normally it's close to $60 I think.

Then we went to JoAnn Fabrics and I stood in line for 45 minutes just waiting for them to cut my fleece fabric I was picking up for $2.99 a yard. I also grabbed some zippers and thread and had a 20% off coupon. I spent about $17 there and I saved well over $40 from their regular prices.

We went into Best Buy as well, the parking lot was crazy, but we didn't buy anything. Just walked around and left.

On Cyber Monday I ordered a George Carlin DVD Box set for Brandon for Christmas from Borders at 40% off. We're only spending $50 on each other this year since funds are so tight and it came out to $49 with tax, so I'm all done shopping for him now.