Troubleshooting Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by DuzzyGirl, Oct 23, 2006.

1. DuzzyGirl

DuzzyGirl **sigh** Downloads ...

Blue Screen of Death

**sigh** I had a nice Gateway. Installed an ATI RAEDON 9200 series 128 about 2 1/2 years ago. Sims played okay. It dragged a bit had to update the drivers a good bit as there were some issues, but nothing that prohibited game play.

The problems started when I decided I wanted to upgrade to a new computer. Bought the hubby a laptop. On that laptop is a 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X 1400 HyperMemory. I transferred my files over while waiting the arrival of my new destop. Sims played fabulously. I loved it and was so excited.

Couldn't wait for the new desktop, 20" widescreen, paid the extra $150 for the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS, as I hear such great things about NVIDIA and had *some* issues with my ATI 9200 on my older desktop. Well, it came. I'm not at all happy. I transferred the game. Played okay for about an hour. Now, the whole system shuts down after about 10 minutes of play. Error in nv4_disp.dll file. So, went looking for a new driver. Found one. Installed it. Got excited as I played a whole 20 minutes before it happened again.

Am I missing something? I don't get it. I should have stuck with ATI, I suppose. Says all is working properly. Been checking for new drivers. I'm just at my wits end and, quite frankly, and entirely ticked off.

Here's my log ...

Am I just overlooking something? By the way, this happens even with an empty "Downloads" folder.

Attached Files:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Perchance did you restart your computer after you installed the new drivers?

3. Sylla

Sylla New Member

This is actually quite common problem with nvidia cards. But this is a new system to yes? Make sure windows is as up to date as possible, if it still isn't working then you can try these steps:

1. Start the computer and then press the delete to enter your BIOS.

2. Go to the option Safe Mode using the Arrow Keys on your keyboard and hit Enter to select the option.

3. Hit Enter again on Windows XP under Please Select an Operating System.

4. Select ADMINISTRATOR on the Welcome Screen and Click on YES on the Popup Message which will say Windows is running in safe mode.......

5. Click on START and give a right click on MY COMPUTER icon and select properties with left click, this will pop up a system properties Windows under that select HARDWARE on top and under that select DEVICE MANAGER

6. Under Device manager click on the '+' sign next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and give a right click on the NVIDIA Adapter and select uninstall and click OK on the confirmation POP UP.

7. Close All the Windows and Restart the System Normally.... Windows will start normally without any errors but with the basic Display Settings.

8. Locate your up to date Drivers and install the drivers for your NVIDIA card and the issue will be resolved.

Hope that helps anyway.

4. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Isn't it F8 for safemode? BIOs won't do much except change things on the motherboard.

Also aslong as the user is an administrator, they can enter and change things in the device manager - no need to make things harder than they are.

5. DuzzyGirl

Yep, several times, just in case :)

Totally new system. Haven't even had it a week. I've been in and out of safe mode installing and uninstalling. Still the same problems. I was in safe mode and went to update the driver through the device manager and it takes me back to the "original" driver. After restarting the computer normal, without even playing the game, I got the blue screen of death. I restarted in safe mode again and uninstalled that driver and reinstalled the updated one. I was able to start up normal, change my properties, and play the game for a short period of time. Then, once again, the blue screen of death. At that time, I gave up and came here. Im not a happy little camper.

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

So does the BSOD actually say that there was an error with the nv4_disp.dll file?

7. DuzzyGirl

Yep. I'll have to do it again when I go home and write down the exact error. Says something about being stuck in an infinte loop. When I get it again, I'll write it down.

8. Sylla

Sylla New Member

I did a quick search on ther net and for as many questions about the nv4_disp.dll loop, there are different answers. Some claim to have a patch and others spout various other methods, I suggest you google it and see what solutions you can find and try out. So sorry your having these problems, nothing worse than having a brand new system and still not be able to play your games on it.

9. DuzzyGirl

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it. I did spend some time today on Google. I'm just amazed at how long this issue goes back. It's crazy. I'll just keep up on the updates and searching. Hopefully it won't happen ALL the time. It doesn't really seam like there's a permanent fix. It seems some people just get lucky. Hope I'm one of them! ;)

10. DuzzyGirl

I'm just in here for the sake of venting at the moment. I'm so aggrivated. I could scream. The hubby is on the road and wouldn't understand if he were here for me to scream to him about it anyhow. So, I've got to blow off some steam somewhere!!

I've spent the past three evenings with this freakin' issue. I've tried numerous things that were suggested and nothing. I've been grateful for all the suggestions; however, it still just ticks me off that just this evening it will have been a full week since I've had the computer. I should have been able to plug it all in, install my game and voilla. But noooooooo, couldn't get that freakin' lucky. Started this crap on Friday, hadn't had the time to look into it until Monday. I'm livid, quite frankly.

I've learned that it's not just a driver issue. Well, it may be for some folks. For others it may be a compatibility (hardware/software) issue. Who knows. It's all trial and error. Some people have yet to find a fix. What the heck was I thinking when I built/ordered this flippin' thing that it would just work? My goodness. How expectatious (not sure if even a word) of me. :mad: Okay, maybe I feel better for a moment.

11. MrWiseMan

MrWiseMan New Member

Aww, I hope you find out what's wrong and fix it. :(

12. Sylla

Sylla New Member

At this point I recommend you take it back to the store you got it from and swap the card over for an ati.

13. DuzzyGirl

I would. However, I ordered the computer from Dell. I ordered it on October 8, got it on October 18. I've got an email out to them about the issue. Through research, I know that their response won't be volunteering a return. We'll see what happens.

14. Sylla

Sylla New Member

I'm crossing figers, toes, arms and legs for you. I hope you can resolve the issue with Dell. Keep us updated :eek:

15. DuzzyGirl

UPDATE: I talked with Dell several times today and they're actually sending a technician out to install a whole new motherboard and graphics card. This is, of course, after me pitching a fit about putting all this money into a new Dell when my older Gateway was fine. I told them I refused to send it back until they had me a replacement in my hands. I stated that this was their problem. It's already been mine too long and I refuse to be put out any further by being without a system at all. I'm not usually that assertive, but the squeeky wheel gets the oil!! :) I'll update again after this happens.

16. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Congratulations :) Do keep us informed :)

17. DuzzyGirl

Another update: That didn't help. :( New motherboard and graphics card, reinstalled all drivers, and updated, still a no go. Now I'm in limbo. I've called Dell back, had to leave a message for tech support. They called back, I wasn't home. Trying again tonight. I think I'm just going to take that card out, buy an ATI and see what happens. If it works, I'll just try that nVidia one in my Dad's computer. I'm at a loss.

18. DuzzyGirl

I can play!!! I can play!!! :D

Woowhoo!! I talked to Dell this evening. I'm sending them the nVidia card back for a full credit. Going out tomorrow UPS. I went to Best Buy and bought an ATI Raedon X1600 512 MB. I'm so happy now.

I need to get a life. :p

19. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Wow. I should have read this thread before posting in the Computer Config forum. I'm having the exact same problems with my Dell comp. sigh. Of course I'm also getting a Direct3D error that crashes my game every so often. They've already sent someone out to replace the graphics card. I wonder if I should have them send someone out with an ATI Radeon. Grrrrr.