Troubleshooting Build Mode

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by toncica, Feb 22, 2006.

1. toncica

toncica New Member

Build Mode

The option Build Mode doesn't work!!! For instance, I want to replace windows. I choose some window and when it should appear on the screen, it doesn't!! I see all stuff that's in Build Mode, but I just can't do anything with them... Why?? Please help cause it irritates me so much!!!!:confused: :confused:

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Buy the game from a shop on a real honest-to-goodness circle of plastic with a hole in the middle ... :rolleyes:

3. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Is that the ONLY reason someone would not be able to use build mode is if they have an illegal copy of the game? It always irritates me to think that I paid good money for something and then someone else got the same thing dishonestly. But I hesitate to say that unless I know for sure, wouldn't want to accuse someone of being a thief when they are actually encountering a glitch. That's why whenever someone complains about this problem I'm never the one to say anything. Just as sure as I did then OOPSIE it was a glitch.

Ruth

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

It's the only reason I know of Ruthie ... but if I have been wrong in my sarcasm on this occasion I'll be quite happy to grovel my apologies ... :(

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

The game is set up to have the build mode disabled if someone is playing without the CD. No CD hacks can disable the game, even if someone does have the actual CD as they trigger the software piracy protection.

Unfortunately, it's not something that anyone here can help with, as it's considered software piracy which is not condoned here.

6. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Well I guess if you can't keep people from stealing your game the next best thing to do would be to cripple it up so bad it takes the fun out of playing. I noticed the person hasn't come back to comment and/or defend themselves.

Ruth

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Ruth. I guess I'm in a crabby mood at the moment, but that said, I still deal fair and straight. So many of the build-mode-won't work merchants are using pirated games it's just easier to accuse first and apologise on the rare occasions one is wrong. All the same I am grateful to Kat for reminding me (and everyone else) that there are other possibilities to account for the problem).

8. KatAnubis

I wasn't actually reminding you. I was supporting what you said. :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad. I'm in a grumpy mood too. (Which gave me a laugh when I noticed that someone had added a "cloud9" to my signature since I felt like anything but that!) I had to ban 3 people I liked a few days ago on the BBS and I've been catching grief about it ever since. I'd been answering their "why is my friend banned" and "why can't you decrease the ban" messages in my guestbook for *3* hours and then I found out that they'd been doing a campaign to get them unbanned. I lost all sympathy for them at that point (especially since one of them OT hijacked a thread to do it, and it was that very thing that got them banned in the first place!)

It's in MaxoidKane's hands now. I told her I was going off for a good cry, and then off to play with my Simmies and do some more damage to my already greater than 3gb downloads folder by looking for more stuff. (That's what brought me here: I decided to assuage my hurt feelings by buying a SimPass. Shopping, even vicariously, always makes me feel better!)

9. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

OH Kat I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a rough day. When I used to help manage a forum on another site I hated it when I had to ban someone. Especially the few times that it would be a friend because they took advantage of my friendship and thought they could get away with stuff.

Ruth

10. Kungfu Joe

Kungfu Joe New Member

Sorry to branch off of the branched-off topic (But yes, bad days do suck), but we should not assume that this person is hacking because build mode is disabled. Yes, it is a symptom of hacking. The way it comes about is from using a hacked .exe file (pretty much meaning a No-Cd patch). What we need to remember is that it is not illegal to use a No-CD patch if you own the CD.

Same thing with emulators and ROMs. Can they be used for illegal activity? Yes, of course. But can the be used legitimately? Yes, that is (hopefully) what they were originally intended for. If you own the cartrige, you can play the ROM legally.

Im not saying that this guy is legit, because I have no idea (and in fact, i'd be willing to bet that he has an illegal copy), but there is the possibility that he is legit, and we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe his CD drive burned out and he dosnt have the cash on hand to replace it, and dosnt know that neat paper-clip trick

NO, I DONT CONDONE HACKING OR PIRACY. thankyou

11. KatAnubis

Yes and no. Maxis does not support the use of no CD patches or emulators, nor allow the explanation of how to use them even if the person owns the game. (And in some places it *is* illegal to use them even if you own the disc.)

And the owner of this site (ManagerJosh) has said that we are to follow that lead when it comes to people who come here to ask for help with this issue. The only help allowed is to tell them to remove the interfering software and use their CD. (On the official site, people are not even allowed to say "you'll need to find your answer with an internet search" which we do allow (but nothing more than that) with regards to adult only content. And "help" that includes more than that (including offering your email address or asking for theirs, giving key words to help them use an internet search, let alone URLs, tutorials or instructions.)

12. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Well if this person is having a legitimate problem then they should contact Maxis and get the help from them. But if they are using a hack or whatever to play the game I'm sure there is some dishonest person out there that will be more then happy to help them "beat the system". I just hope that person isn't a part of this site.

Ruthie

PS: I think a better, or maybe just an added way to mess up someone's game who's stealing it would be to disable the naming screen when a baby is born. But then they would just use Simpe or whatever to name them, but I think it would be funny if they couldn't name the baby and they had a bunch of baby boy or baby girls running around their game. LOL

13. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I always wonder if the person is new and if they don't have enough money to buy anything yet... would that cause the malfunction too?

14. KatAnubis

If their Sim doesn't have enough money to buy something in the build section, they can still use the other build tools (like for moving windows and things like that.)

15. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

there is that, thanks for the reminder.

16. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

LOL - That reminds me of the very first Sim baby born into my very first Sims game (the original). When the Naming Screen popped up, it took me too long to decide what name I should use, and the screen just disappeared - I was stuck with stuck with a first-born son by the name of "Baby Boy Winterbourne." (Sadly, the social worker came and took him not too much later. Hopefully his adoptive parents gave him a better name...)

Anyway, back on topic - I think that this would be an effective deterrent...Who wants a whole town full of "Baby Boys" and "Baby Girls" running around!