Troubleshooting Can't find family

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by xx_lil_blondie_07_xx, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Can't find family

I had been playing the same family for a few weeks and then I created another family and was playing that one. I went to go back to the first family I created and they are nowhere to be found, the house and items in the house are still there but I cant find my girl and her son anywhere. I know I saved the game when I exited, even sometimes randomly while playing. They were there yesterday but not today. I checked all of the other households and also in the Move In Family screen and they arent there! I spent so much time making the house and playing the family its driving my crazy because I cant figure out what happened. :(

2. Valentine

Valentine Scottish Gamer

Hello Blondie, after you have selected the family that you want to play, and you are in-game, can you see any family member on the left-hand-side of the screen? (small thumbnail photos of each family member, I presume you have 2 players; Mother and Son?) If so, then they are definately around the town somewhere. If not, them I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest.

Val.

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

I do believe it's one of the bugs that's running rampant through the game.
    Have you tried installing the new patch?

4. Valentine

Valentine Scottish Gamer

The Sims 3 seems to be quite glitchy and seems to be causing alot of trouble with some people, and it seems to be a recurring problem everywhere. Was it the same when the Sims 2 was first released. I'm not sure on that one as I got TS2 about 1 year after it was officially released.

Maybe they release the game (due to consumer demand!) with bugs and glitches in a hope that it will be updated via any patch being released. They are obviously very small glitches / bugs that aren't noticble but seem to cause a whole bunch of problems once they are discovered. Whereas this is extremely careless as some people may not have access to the Internet 24/7.

Val.

5. swmeek

Yeah we've been EA's test b*tches from day one !
    Sims 2 had it's share of bugs also.

6. The family isnt there to select to try to play. They arent on the Choose Household or Move In Household screen. Well the mother is but the son is not with her and the Household funds are at the default $16,000. They were in the house when I quit playing the game and then poof, gone.

And I have no clue what installing the new patch means. Lol

7. Valentine

Valentine Scottish Gamer

I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but I usually get prompted (I think) by EA Download Manager. Unfortunately, I can't really suggest anything until later on this afternoon as I am at work. But this Forum has a massive member list, and I'm sure most of them will be more than able to give you a solution.

Val.

8. swmeek

When you installed the Sims 3 did you install the EADM?
    This is what you need along with the Sims 3 game launcher to download patches.
    Or you can do it this way if you did not install the EADM (like I did) ,go to www.simprograms.com and click the Sims 3 tab there and then download both patches that they have there .
    I believe you have to install the first patch before you can install the 2nd patch but I'm not 100% sure on that.

9. Thank you Val!

...To swmeek.... Im not sure if I installed EADM or not, I just put the disc in and installed the game. Lol. If I install it now will that delete anything that I have saved on the game? And what exactly does that do to the game?

10. Valentine

Valentine Scottish Gamer

No problem, Blondie.

After installation you should have got a prompt to download EADM (Electronic Arts Download Manager). Check your add/remove program list, (Click Start menu > "Control Panel" > "Add or remove programs") Have a look for EADM or E.A Download Manager. That should tell you if it's installed. If it is, then everytime a new patch (or update) is released, providing you're connected to the internet it will automatically boot up and install and will also give you the option of cancelling it.

If you have not got it installed, there might be an "autorun" program on the disk. Try going into "My Computer", insert The Sims 3 disk, right click on the DVD-Drive and click "explore". Look for anything that relates to "EADM". For your information, the icon is a small grey circular shape.

You could always try the manual method that Swmeek suggested, if all else fails. About EADM deleting anything, I don't think it would. It doesn't relate to the game other that providing a direct upload to your computer to install the patch.

Again, I must apologise, I am at work and my advice is only going by suspicion. If I am wrong, I will post back later tonight confirming anything.

Good luck, keep us informed!

Val.

11. swmeek

No it shouldn't delete anything you have already.
    If you have any mods or hacks though you will need to remove them before you install your patches . (for safety's sake)
    A lot of people don't use the EADM or the Sims 3 launcher (or both) with their games because most of them don't like anything other than the game running .
    Alot of them don't like EA either.