Troubleshooting Can't install Sims 2 with Windows XP??

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by fzzykeeb, Sep 15, 2004.

1. fzzykeeb

fzzykeeb New Member

Can't install Sims 2 with Windows XP??

I'm having problems installing Sims 2 to my computer. I have Win XP as my OS. Whenever I try to install, a message automatically appears right after reading the disk: "Error executing 'D:\Support\The Sims 2_uninst.exe' %1 is not a valid Win32 application." I hear this kind of error usually occurs when trying to install older games, so I'm not sure what's up. I installed the regular Sims and all its expansion packs with no problems.

I've gone to the Microsoft support website and tried their suggestions, but nothing's worked. I also tried going into the file and changing the compatability to an earlier version of Windows before running it and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?? God, I hate Win XP.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Could you post your system specs?

3. fzzykeeb

fzzykeeb New Member

AMD Athon XP
    1.53 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB
    DirectX 9.0

4. ManagerJosh

Have you considered it possibly might be your Optical Drive?

5. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

Isn't that a CD Drive???

6. astaregod

astaregod New Member

yeah, same thing, although optical drive can be anywhere from CD-ROM to CD-RW to DVD-ROM to DVD+/-RW

i'd check to see if the cd/dvd disc is smudged or whatever as that is the most likely problem. if that doesn't work, try manually going into the DVD/CD folder and running the actual setup exe program from there. as a last resort, try exchanging it for another copy of the game

p.s. i have win xp and everything runs just great on it

7. ManagerJosh

Yea if you can find another PC to test the installation program, it may very well be it is a poorly manufacturered disc. Those happen from time to time during the production of any game.

8. orenjikuro

orenjikuro New Member

Computer restarts itself while playing Sims2

Hi, my system restarts itself while im playing sims2. Can anybody help? Is it possible its because my ram thats not enough? But i read the minimum specs is 256mb Ram. Anybody?

Intel P4 2.4ghz
    Win Xp Home Edition SP2
    Geforce FX5200 128mb
    DDR Ram 256mb
    DirectX 9.0c

9. waggy

waggy New Member

ok i get the same problem.

whenver i double click on install.exe i get G:\install.exe not a valid win32 application.

WTF! oh i have the DVD version myself and yes i made sure i have it in the dvd player.

oh i have
    win XP pro sp2
    1.4gig t-bird
    1gig of pc133 ram
    9800 pro

so i have a good enough computer to run it.

bah!

10. ManagerJosh

Just how old is your DVD-ROM?

11. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Something else that should be considered: are you trying to put the game in a non-administrative account.

The Sims 2 only works in the Administrative account. It has to do with the security system for preventing disc copying. You will get an error message if you are trying to play the game in a non-Administrative account.

12. waggy

waggy New Member

ok i got it working

I un-installed sp2 and reinstalled it.

after that it worked fine.

13. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

PEOPLE!!! Please note:

SP2 causes serious problems with not only The Sims 2, but after I installed it, I got a whole bunch of pop-ups and ad/spyware on my computer. So Microsoft, you had better fix this!:mad:

14. ManagerJosh

As someone who beta tested SP2 and actually upgraded to a final version of SP2, before Sims 2 came out, that is completely untruthful. There is plenty of people who have have The Sims 2, and is running The Sims 2 perfectly fine. I am one of them.

You probably got the popup/spyware issue already before you installed SP2, and just barely noticed them. Because Popups are blocked on default, and activex prompts are TURNED OFF by default so you can't install it either. So sum it up, the problem lies with its users.

15. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

Josh, sp2 is odd to say the least. while i do believe it works fine on your system, there are alot of cases that on "broken-in" systems, sp2 causes alot of problems. i know cuz it happened to me. i installed sp2 as soon as it came out of beta and was being distributed on windows update. caused nothing but trouble. internet connection acted like it was 56k whereas at the time was a 3mbit connection. numerous games refused to connect to any multiplayer games. and some prgrams that required special administrative permissions were vomiting errors all over the place.

BUT, i have installed sp2 on so far 3 machines. my cousin's, my mom's coworker, and the computer that im assigned to in my engineering class at school. each one runs xp pro (except my cousin's) and has been running perfectly fine with sp2. but keep in mind that none of these machines are "broken-in" as it were.

as a note of advice: if you havent done so already, try sp2. if everything works ok after installing it, good. if not, uninstall it. save yourself alot of headaches.

16. xjessie021x

xjessie021x New Member

i cant install my sims2 on my windows xp

ive tried everything to install sims2 on my pc but every time i try it a thing pops up and says e:\support\thesims2_uninst.exe"%1 is not a valid win32 application. I had the game on here a few weeks ago and it worked fine but i had to reboot my computer now it isnt working at all. please help i hate this xp crap !:depressed:

17. ManagerJosh

Hey there Jessie

Take a deep breath and calm down :)

Do me a favor and provide some basic specs on your computer. This way we can see what's up :)

1) CPU (MHz/GHz)
    2) RAM/Memory - How Much (MB/GB)
    3) Free Hard Disk Space
    4) Total Hard Disk Space
    5) Graphic/Video Card