Category 5 Cyclone (Hurricane) to hit Australia tonight

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Category 5 Cyclone (or Hurricane to us folks in the United States, Typhoon to those in Asia) is going to strike the Northern Part of Australia tonight at 10PM Australian time...which is about 12 hours away...

They are expecting rainfall of 700 - 1000 mm during the storm!!!! Given that flash flooding can occur at 100mm or 10% of that, it is going to be very messy! They are also expecting winds of up to 300 Kilometres per hour.

Just a frame of context, Hurricane Katrina was a Category 3 Hurricane...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/02/3127394.htm

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

As if they hadn't had enough problems with all the flooding!

3. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I've never seen a cyclone that was that big. First flooding, then a small cyclone, then Yasi. QLDers haven't even had a chance to clean up since the floods.

It's moving inland now as a cat 2 and should turn into a tropical low within the next 24hours, then the clean up can begin with hopefully nothing else happening.

4. ManagerJosh

Oh don't worry Flamey :D. Next comes the awesome firestorms :D The ones that sweep through like plagues :D. That's what happens with floods :p....

5. KatAnubis

You are so full of hope and joy!

6. ManagerJosh

I'm sure Nyx could testify to that as well. After all the four seasons in Southern California are Fire, Flood, Earthquakes and Santa Ana winds.

7. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

I'll send you some of the snow and ice we're having!

8. KatAnubis

And now, around Christchurch, they've had a severe earthquake.

9. swmeek

Last I read 65 people have died and they're still digging out people!
    they're saying this is related to a really bad quake they had last year.

10. KatAnubis

Some online friends were talking about it and said that it was last November but was in a little different place. One lady said that she felt both of them but that she felt the November one more because it was closer to her. She also said that the cyclone was big enough to "cover the continental USA" and that, combined with the ongoing floods, makes the earthquake feel like not such a big deal. They're really hurting over there!

11. Flameback777

November's quake was weaker than the latest.
    I wouldn't class the Kiwi's earthquake as being as bad as the cyclones and flooding that we have had in Australia.

12. swmeek

I seen that but the said the location and the depth of this quake was what made it so nasty bad!

13. ManagerJosh

I thought November's quake was stronger (Magnitude 7.1)....

14. Flameback777

November's was double the depth of the most recent. As the latest quake was so close to the surface, it did more damage above ground.

15. KatAnubis

From what I read, its epicenter was also closer to inhabited areas so there was more to damage.