How Do I change neighborhoods?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by DeeRillem, Sep 3, 2008.

1. DeeRillem

DeeRillem New Member

change neighborhoods?

ok, I just got apartment life in and I really wanna move the last generation of college grads from Pleasantview into the new city Belladonna Springs...but of course it wont let me do that easilly. I've looked into:
    My Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2 > Neighborhoods and there they all are, but I have no idea which neighborhood is which since the folders in there have names like E001, F001, G001 and N001 (N has 001 through 004) but again I have no idea which one is Pleasantview or which would be Belladonna Springs - also, once you get into each neighborhood, there is a plethora of files in each neighborhoods "Characters" file so I would have no idea which one(s) would be mine and which would be pre-mades and townies... if anyone has been through this already and has any info that might help me out I would greatly appreciate it - thank you very much in advance for your effort.

2. DeeRillem

DeeRillem New Member

alright, I give up. I don't think it's possible. I went through everything untill I figured out which neighborhood files corresponded to which neighborhoods, then through the hundreds of character files to find the ones I wanted (backed everything up thankfully) copied character files into the correct neighborhood / characters folder and renamed to fit that neighborhoods name scheme (they're in numerical order) fired up the game and...nothin'. At this point i think there are 2 possible reasons.
    1. not possible or
    2. in order to do so you would also need to relocate every sim known by / related to the one(s) you want to move so it doesn't have a load error when trying to find thier relationship attachments... of course I'm really not all that computer savvy or anything but I think it's at least possible <shrug>

anyhoo, once again if anyone out there has attempted this reguardless of success please let me know what you found out - thank you.

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Okay N001 is Pleasantville,
    N002 is Strangetown,
    N003 is Veronaville,
    F001 is the Freetime neighborhood Desiderata Valley and
    G001 is the Seasons neighborhood RiverBlossom Hills.

4. DeeRillem

DeeRillem New Member

Yea, thanks Swmeek. That's pretty much what I came up with as well. I have no idea what's in the files themselves, but they are locked to specific neighborhoods - moving / renaming does no good at all.
    So, with that in mind. Does anyone know of a program out there that lets you look at and hopefully alter .package files? (specifically for sims 2 of course) All in all it doesn't really matter anymore anyway, but still an intersting thought....well at least I thought so heh. Thanks for your help Swmeek - I appreciate your efforts.

5. swmeek

The only thing that comes to mind is Simpe.
    There's a hella lot you can do with it .
    Just make sure of a few things first.
    1 it only works for PC
    2 you need Netframework 1.1 or higher to make it work (get it from Microsoft)
    3. make sure you download the version that covers the most recent expansion you have.
    get it here- http://sims.ambertation.de/
    Before you go messing around with it read a few forums worth about it and its abilities as it can seriously mess up your game.

6. DeeRillem

DeeRillem New Member

Yea, I was thinking it might take somthing like that, and... well... I'm 'ok' with computers, but a very far cry from 'computer savvy' and what with all the things I've heard about it I just don't think it's worth the risk to be honest. I thank you very much for all your thinking about it and attempting to help me out, I really appreciate it. I have however simply gotten over it heh. I created some new apartments (after I found out how to change lot zoning here on the forums hehe) and dumped some of the pre-fab ones downtown, and have been just enjoying the game again =)

so thanks again, but no worries - happy gameing

7. swmeek

Glad to have helped!