Changes :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hey Guys :)

2012 brings a whole lot of new changes... in consistent with our theme of urban entertainment, we're adding discussions for movies, music, and television :)

More later :)

2. ManagerJosh

alright so here are the list of changes that will be made over the coming days:

• forum upgrade to v1.1
    • compression of all gaming forums to a single forum
    • clean up of all off topic forums
    • custom theme
    • rearranging all major forums into following categories
      • gaming
      • technology
      • entertainment (tv/movies)
    • offtopic
    Any suggestions, thoughts, etc ?

3. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Sounds good! Looking forward to a change. :]

4. ManagerJosh

Now the question comes as to how can we get more people to post :p

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Good luck. It seems we attract very few real new members.

6. ManagerJosh

Well for the most part, I think part of the reason is because we dropped off the sims game map. For the longest time, we were dependent on Sims websites to drive traffic to us.

With EA continuing to isolate their fansites, most have either faded into the back and died or those with strong communities continue to grow for the time being. Sooner or later however, these sites will likely perish without the continued support of EA

7. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

mayhaps we need to lean more towards other games besides sims games.

8. ManagerJosh

Have any title suggestions Steve?

9. swmeek

Nothing off the top of my head but maybe doing sections for action games, adventure games, indie games and so forth.

10. ManagerJosh

I'm thinking of doing little tags for that to avoid having one to many empty forums. Still, I'm seeing a decline in a lot of adventure styled games I've noticed.

11. ManagerJosh

Darkspore and Spore forums compressed tonight. Thinking of how to do The Sims :)

12. swmeek

Does anybody even still play Spore ?

13. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I assume so, even though I don't have it installed. :p

14. KatAnubis

This is our most active set of forums. We actually have people ask questions about TS3 and TS2 (and not just Lorelei, although she is the most frequent.) One thing would help though and that would be to have a single forum for each of the 3 Sims, rather than divide them up. People often have problems figuring out which part of the forum to put their question in and end up putting them in all of them. But it would be good to keep each number separate to help the person answering questions know which form of the game is being discussed.

15. ManagerJosh

I'm thinking of actually putting prefixes that says "The Sims 1", "The Sims 2", and "The Sims 3", but merging all the forums into a common set of Sims technical support forums, general chat forums, and so forth.

The prefixes themselves are searchable so if you click "The Sims 3" it would change the entire forum to Sims 3 Conversations.

Thoughts?

16. KatAnubis

I don't think you should try to separate the technical support vs game support vs etc for the Sims games. Just have a single forum for each of the Sims games so that people don't have to sort things except for the actual game itself.

17. ManagerJosh

So doing what we did here doesn't work?

http://uoem.com/forums/forums/gaming-talk.86/

18. KatAnubis

It appears that you put all the Spore into one section total. That's fine, although I hope you wouldn't roll all the Sims into a single one. It would make it really hard to tell when someone was talking about TS2 vs TS3 (and some of the same people do both but don't necessarily label which they're talking about at the time.)

ManagerJosh likes this.
  19. ManagerJosh

so in essence merge them into a single forum by game series?

20. swmeek

I haven't had it installed in I don't know how long now!
    I don't think anybody coming here is gonna care about Spore as it's pretty much a deceased game but we may need to start up a Minecraft forum for me and Flamey! :D

ManagerJosh likes this.