Chat Room?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Sep 18, 2002.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Chat Room?

I've been debating on installing a chat system here at WorldSims. Post your comments :)

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I think it might be neat, like if you scheduled chats... on the other hand would we get spammers and rude people showing up and taking it over? Also, if we had a chat all the time, would people be as active in the boards? Still... I think it would be neat to chat sometimes!!

3. ManagerJosh

Quite true....but then we could always ban then :D

4. LordBrain515

LordBrain515 New Member

I find that people aren't really that into chats unless they are really big events.

5. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Not really. Simschat shows a huge variety of people during 24 hrs. Most ppl are on when US is "awake" so to speak (US evenings and aftrnoons) Midday (for me) you'll find some ppl to, mainly asia and australia.

it has some point s to be "in the middle" timewise..
    So I think a chat wold be nice.. but it needs some sort of masters. And it could be open certain hrs.. providing it covers good hrs for the planet.. Maybe it's easier to get masters for it then?

6. Jake

Jake New Member

a chat would be good, but definately would have to have some sort of moderators...or somethin that sees such and such person say samething over and over in a certain amount of time, and that person is muted/banned with a message sayin so

7. ManagerJosh

We do have moderators at these forums who live from Europe, to the states (myself) to Australia.

Primary concern is traffic though. I don't want to use up TOO much bandwith.

8. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

hmm. That's another reason to limit the chat hours. Would that help?

9. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Maybe we could have some polls about what day/days of the week would be best for the most people to chat, and pools about what times the most people could make it??

10. Jake

Jake New Member

that could be good

11. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Agrees to that!

12. ManagerJosh

13. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Looks like we've got England, USA, and Australia all covered then! cool! :D

14. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Asia is missing.

15. ManagerJosh

and Africa...And Antartica....and South America

16. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

LOL!

But you don't have Europe fully covered.. you have eastern europe with countries like Poland etc... Then Russia and former USSR
    England could prob. provide western europe very well. Who's in Australia and who's in England???

17. ManagerJosh

lworley lives in England and ben_munon lives in Australia.
    I have a few others too.

18. Jake

Jake New Member

i dont think we have to worry about Antartica, unless the penguins decide to chat ;-)

19. ManagerJosh

well the good thing is that I can have a person be in everytime zone :p

20. timz2rules

timz2rules New Member

i say it could be kind of fun to have the old chat back, it would take few other people to remember that i'll bet :-P but all around it could be kind of fun, be easier to answer questions as well :-P