Chnitzy Lil and Sphinxy Bill's Workshop

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Mirelly, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Chnitzy Lil and Sphinxy Bill's Workshop

Over the coming weeks I am remaking all of my classic designs and this time I am going to share them.

I concentrate on a small range of muted tile designs for bathrooms and kitchens, plus a number of wallpapers and painted walls in complementary ranges of colours and dado/baseboard combinations.

I have not previously sought to share these with the community because I had not bothered much with a file naming convention. However, in rebuilding the set from scratch, I am adopting a naming scheme that will hopefully allow users to manage those which they choose to install or uninstall.

First in the series is a small mosaic tile, principally intended for bathrooms. The first design is the basic white. Next to be added will be a small range of the same with a subtle variation of pastel colours added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Rasberry and Blueberry versions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same as the sparkle white versions but this time with bright, but soft coloured tiles to dado height.

(I should point out that these tiles are tiny. 16 tiles across a single in game square.)

Attached Files:

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Looks really nice, Mirelly. I hope I can play with my game tomorrow and try them out.

4. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Ah mirelly has learned the art of texturing using white and Grey lines. ;)

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Not to be snotty or picky, but not so, Moony.

Start with a 16 pixel square image, flood fill with a very light grey. Add some noise to it to avoid flatness. Now select a 15 pixel square area, promote it to a new layer and flood fill with a flat colour. Add some noise for sparkle and then use the effects menu to add a bevel. Duplicate the image, then flatten the layers of the duuplicate copy the whole image to clipboardboard and resize image to 32 pixel square. Paste from clipboard to create a 4 tile image. Select all and copy and repeat and rinse until until image is 256 pixels wide, then just enlarge vertically until you reach 512 pixels high. You can now save it over the Homecrafter working directory image and view the result.

For what it's worth, the image looked far too harsh for my taste so I applied a final single touch of Effect >> Blur >> Soften before saving the final image.

For walls the 16 pixel square image needs to be flattened to 1:0.66 ratio. I resized the 16 x 16 image to 16 x 11 which seems to preserve the square shape when viewed in game pretty well.

Note a lot of Maxis square tiles are based on tile sizes which are not natural integer denominators of 256. The resultant dithered appearance serves to add to poor definition of these at very close zooms. My tiles are great for this as they get better as you zoom in. To add further credit, I borrowed the idea after seeing (and downloading) Inge's fabulous designs http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Decor_bathwalls.htm

Once my colour range is completed (the remaining colours are: lemon, butterscotch, violet, hyacinth, aqua, mint, & teal) I will begin work on complementing the range with random fadeouts to white a la Inge's designs.

Still to come a range of wide board, wood floors complemented by Lil's damask wallpapers; some exciting quarry tile floors for kitchens and utility areas, with complementary walls by Lil; and not forgetting: the complete nursery range. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Oo, I like! Simple. Just what I'm lookin' for! Thanks, Mirelly. :D

7. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Cool they look good. I have to give it a go now lol. :)

I used to have to do effects like bevel manually before photo shop started to do it. When I started working for a software company everything was done manually. :eek: We had to create our own textures.

8. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Thank You, Mirrely.