Troubleshooting Computer Specs - Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Online, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Online

Online Guest

Computer Specs - Official Thread

I see that there are alot of threads about, "Will my computer Work" and so one. I am gonna help out the staff on this.

The Official Specs Are:

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM then you need at least:
    • 600 MHz P3 processor or better
    • 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
    • At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    If you have a non-T&L capable video card (such as Intel Extreme Graphics or Radeon 7xxx Series) then you need at least:
    • 2.0 GHz processor or better
    • 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
    • At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    Supported video cards (and the more video memory the better):
    • ATI Radeon[size=-1]TM[/size] series (7000 or better)
      • 7000, 7200, 7500 (requires 2.0 GHz processor)
      • 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500
      • 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800

• Nvidia Quadro[size=-1]TM[/size] series
      • Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4

• Nvidia Geforce series (GeForce2 and better)
      • GeForce2
      • GeForce3, 3 Ti
      • GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440
      • GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950
      • GeForce 6800

Other Questions

- Recomended Graphics Cards, The more "Video Memory" the better the graphics, we all want that :cool: .
    (Click on The Graphics Card Titles for the Graphics card website.)

• ATI Radeon series (7000 or better)
      • 7000, 7200, 7500 (requires 2.0 GHz processor)
      • 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500
      • 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800

• Nvidia Quadro[size=-1]TM[/size] series
      • Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4

• Nvidia Geforce series (GeForce2 and better)
      • GeForce2
      • GeForce3, 3 Ti
      • GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440
      • GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950
      • GeForce 6800

• Intel Extreme Graphics (requires 2.0 GHz processor)
      • 82845, 82865

If you have any more questions about your computers specs or other things, you can ask below or in the "Tech Forums".

Happy Gaming

2. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

This is helpful Online, although many people still don't know where to find their computers specs (Although my computer doesn't have glasses.;) :p ) even though they can search. :tired: Some video cards will play the game even if Maxis hasn't listed them too. So there are many reasons why people ask these questions. :tired: These Tech Forums as well as thesims.com's forums get flooded by these people, it's like they must have their own thread. The ones I hate most are: How do I find my specs? That one really annoys me. :p :rolleyes:

3. Sheba_speed

Sheba_speed New Member

Sorry to ask but How do you know if your card is T & L? I have a radeon 9200 which i belive is?

4. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

The Radeon 9200 supports T & L.

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

As someone who didn't use to be able to figure out how to retrieve my specs, I understand where they are coming from, so I try to answer. I'd search and (if the search function was even working at the time, which it doesn't always) find it would say Start>Run>Dxdiag. I had *no* clue what that meant. So, I try to write it out: go to start, click on Run, type in dxdiag in the box, then activated it and look for...

Some people can use the computer geek shorthand, but others are not conversant in it. It makes no sense to them. I'd rather help them because if they have a lower level of frustration they'll probably remember it better (and maybe even figure out that the Start>Run>dxdiag is the same thing that I said.)

And when there are posts that annoy me, I just pass them by. Saves me the hassle and annoyance. ;)

(The ones I avoid are the gameplay and "what happened to Bella" posts that are out even before the game is out. While I enjoy some sorts of speculation, I usually enjoy my information more concrete than that.)

6. Online

Online Guest

How To Find Your Computer Specs Tut

-- How To Find Your Computer Specs --
    If you follow these Instructions you will be able to find your specs in no time. I hope this helps you guys.
    Click on Image for Bigger View!!
    Step One
    Click On Your "Start" Button on the bottom Left hand Corner, Hard to miss. Then On the second column you will see a "Run" Button. Click That.
    (The Pictures will show you what to do!)
    [​IMG]
    CLICK FOR BIGGER IMAGE
    Step Two
    When The "Run" Screen Comes up, Put in the Text "Dxdiag" and then press the "Ok"
    (Follow the Picture and You will be all good!)
    [​IMG]
    Last Step!!! WOHOO!!
    You should Get a screen like the picture below with your computers specs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps you Sim lovers.