Troubleshooting crash crash crash...help!

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by ~Angelica~, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ~Angelica~

~Angelica~ Butterfly digital

crash crash crash...help!

Yeah, I'm among those people who's Sims3 has crashed.
    So here's the thing:
    At first i got the game illegally from torrents, it all worked well and great, with 0 problems. Then one day something happened to my PC (wasn't the game's fault) and i had it fixed.
    Now i have my PC back for 2 weeks, and one week ago i finally got my hands on the original game, i had not been playing the first week, so i installed it, and it didn't work anymore. Double click, the screen goes black and then crashes back to desktop!
    NOOO! I really miss the game!
    Can you guys pleeeeaaaaaase help me? What should I do?
    I added my DxDiag

Attached Files:

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Okay your problem is caused by the driver you're using with your Nvidia video card.
    The 191.07 driver has a problem with it where the game will just crash to desktop before it even starts up.
    So what I would suggest is go over to Nvidia's website and click the download drivers tab at the top of the screen.
    Under the part where you put in your system specs (OS, Video card info etc,) you will see a link that says beta and archived drivers so click that and pick out the 190 series driver they have .
    Save it somewhere you can find it easily enough and then uninstall the old driver before you install the new driver.
    I would also suggest before you install the driver you either install it in safe mode or turn your anti-virus program off as some programs may interfere with installing programs like this .
    About the easiest way is after you uninstall the old driver reboot the computer and while it's booting up (before the Windows splash screen comes up) press the F8 key repeatedly (don't hold the button down)until it boots up in safe mode.
    Install the new driver and reboot again and you should be good to go.
    There have been issues like this with the drivers from the 191 series on up so I wouldn't suggest you try anything newer than what you have now.
    To uninstall the old driver click the start buttojn and go to your control panel.
    Click system and then click the hardware tab at the top of the screen of the pop up window.
    Now look for Device manager and click that .
    You will see a list of stuff there next so look for display adapters and click that .
    The name or kind of card will pop up so click that .
    Another small window will pop up and you will see a tab that says driver so click that .
    Now you should see uninstall driver so click that.
    It will ask you if you want to so click yes and uninstall it and then reboot your computer.

3. ~Angelica~

~Angelica~ Butterfly digital

mkay... thanks! ^.^
    umm.. but is it safe (uninstalling th driver and stuff)? sounds kinda serious!
    :D

4. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

No worries as Windows XP has a built in basic video driver that will take the place of the Nvidia driver after you've uninstalled it.
    I would suggest after you uninstall that run your defragmenter program to clean up your hard drive.
    This will help remove any partial files left over that might cause the hard drive to search a little longer for the files it needs.
    What I normally do (and it may be a bit tedious ) is uninstall the old driver, I then run a program called Driver Sweeper that cleans the registry of any left over bits of old driver that might corrupt the new driver, reboot into safe mode and then run my defragmenting program to clean up the hard drive and then install my new driver.
    Doing this in safe mode you don't have to worry about any programs like your firewall and anti-virus interfering with the installation.