creating NEW models?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ian80, May 16, 2004.

1. ian80

ian80 New Member

creating NEW models?

Recolouring is fine and dandy, but I want to do more! I was under the impression we were going to be able to make NEW clothing/hair styles/glasses, but all I can do it recolour them. Is there a way to remodel clothing? Ditto for hair?

Also, I remember them saying that they were going to include texture mapping. I do not see where this is. Again, have I just missed it?

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

For one thing, we don't have the "complete" version of BodyShop. Evidently that will ship with the game.

Also, the "mesh" changes may need another program. In the chats they spoke of needing to find a way to interface with MayaPLE to do the 3D modeling. Or they will give us "white papers" so that we can use Maya to do the modeling.

So, I don't believe you've "missed" it. It's just that we don't have everything that we will eventually get.

Another thing they've talked about is that there will be a program which is similar to Homecrafter so we can do wallpaper and flooring. But I suspect that will come along later, as will the other object and mesh making information.

3. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'v seen the texture mapping files when I was recoloring clothes, but since I don't understand WHAT I'm seeing I haven't tried to change those yet. :p Try exporting an outfit for a project and when you open all the files in your project folder, one of them is the texture mapping file. The other two are the actual clothing to recolor or otherwise alter and save, and the Alpha filters, which is black and white and greytones.

4. allstargrl117

allstargrl117 New Member

ahhhh i don't even know how to make new designs for the clothes. I'm new and so maybe there is something that i don't know but i'm confused!! PLease help!:D

5. Ebjan

Ebjan New Member

You will need a graphics program such as Paint Shop, Gimp or Photoshop. You open the file in the program and just fool around to get the feel, save then view in Body Shop. There are many help sites online that can help you to learn to use the programs. Using them you can change color, shape, and even add things such as lace to your outfits or change the skin colors.

6. Mizz Rose Bud

Mizz Rose Bud New Member

The texturemapping file is the blue .BMP file, but youll need a video card with at least 128 MB to see anything changing. If you dont have such a V/C just paint it plain blue with your Fill-tool or else it would look odd to people with a V/C 128 MB ... so I was told :cool:

Rose

7. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

In order to change my texture files [body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName], I use this approach.

I use the body~stdMatBaseTextureName I created and open it into irfanview (free program - www.download.com) or any program that has an emboss feature, make the item negative then emboss, then recolour to that purply colour then save over the original body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName file. It's ALWAYS the last thing I do. I may do other things to it as well, like open photoshop and use the filters - my favourite is the texturiser feature that comes with the original, I sandstone everything!!

Um I should also add, if you want to see how I did this, download the pink underwear and have a look at the body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName file to give you an idea (use the create feature to check it out).

Attached Files:

8. KatAnubis

Cool. I want to try that. I have Corel Painter 8 and it doesn't have an embossing feature (impasto, yes. Embossing, no.) Thanks for telling us the program which can do it.

9. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Please remember to negative the image first before embossing (this feature is also in irfanview) otherwise the emboss will invert - do you get what I mean? The texture will look as if it is sunken in as opposed to pushing out!

10. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Nan, I just want to say you are doing some terriffic work... I just love some of the skins you've done. Keep it up.

11. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Okay ... I have some help for you people...

The design of the clothing... very easy to change color... use hue/saturation... most programs have that... such as Photoshop and GIMP... but if you are looking for the design of the clothings shape... go to the alpha... everything in white will be viewed.. and everything black will not... I have not done much on the new clothing but... I have made a set for The Sims 2.. its called
    The Sims 2 Go Retro...
    Well... then for the hair... I have made one of the examples from the first downloads from TS2 official site.... its the for the adult male... with the little piece of hair...
    I put exported the file... when using the alphas I blacked out the little piece of hair in each... and now Its not there... YEAH...
    Then with the top of the hair... I made it green in each BASE... and the spike front blue...

MY CREATIONS ON BOTTOM

12. wize_guy123

Woops

With my previous files... The Sims 2 Go Retro... I accidentaly cut off a baby.. as you see on the left hand side of the picture.. you only see the hand

13. wize_guy123

Nice Work

Nanshi.. very nice work... just a question.. when creating new clothing... does the creases within always stay the same.. to make it look real?

14. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Wow, thanks! Does the heart good to hear this!

15. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Hmm...this is kind of difficult as it depends on the file. If you are doing a straight recolour, then yeah it does, because essentially you are not changing anything in the files - just the colour. The creases are available in the body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName file - so if you don't touch it then it remains the same.

If you have a look at some of my body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName files, you will see that I have added other texture effects (particularly in the underwear). However this does have a downside as those with non-high spec video cards only see the item as flat - (not such a bad thing but I truly recommend upping your video card before buying TS2 - it will blow you out of the water!) and so they lose what I was aiming for.

People like amysims (who is brilliant IMHO), also do things like shading/lighting effects in their clothes (body~stdMatBaseTextureName) which I don't (this has more to do with experience - I am just a newbie!! - & she may also be using a better paint program!) which I think works particularly well for people with low spec video cards.

Not sure if this answered your question!?!

16. KatAnubis

Nanshi_nibble, it really surprises me that you say you are a beginner. I've been very impressed with your work. In fact, I've downloaded more of yours than of many others. It's very good!

17. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

awwhh gee thanks KatAnubis! :embarrassed: I had never skinned prior to getting BS and just gave it a go... I'm glad you like them, made my day all these nice comments, also I just want to encourage people to use the program as well - I want to see and use your stuff too!

I ahve always been a pretty uncreative person [very right brained problem solver] - and BS has unleashed the arty beast in me - and I want it to unleash it in you too!

BTW I'm always open to requests!

18. KatAnubis

I've actually been learning my paint program and making things with BodyShop too. However, just about the time that I was going to start uploading to SimStuff because I finally thought my stuff was not so poorly done, I've been busy with work related stuff. Grrrr. Someday you'll see it, but I still feel like yours is better (at least so far.)

19. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Keep unleashing the "arty beast" and making more skins! I think you're doing great too! :D The flower border on the undies is CUTE!! (I want them in real life, haha!)

20. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

thanks Faeluna...this is what is coming up! I have really enjoyed creating these. The pinstripe underwear is based on underwear that you can buy from www.dreamgirl.com.au, I really love them... and plan to talk to the ball and chain about buying me some!

Attached Files: